Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
wornways
wornways began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Seeing an AZW ebook on my Kindle without having to first upload it?

I'm playing around with making some poetry chapbooks I've created in the past available in AZW format. I keep getting mixed results from my changes to the HTML document which I use to create the Kindle book, but I can only see the result of my efforts once the book has been uploaded and I've gotten it onto my Kindle that way--which involves a two to three day "review" delay.

The "Preview" option is hopelessly inadequate since it doesn't actually show you how the Kindle book will look or behave once it is on the device.

Is there a way for me to generate the AZW file and then just look at it on my Kindle and keep doing this until I'm sure all the formatting is correct?
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool look at it on my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornways View Post
Is there a way for me to generate the AZW file and then just look at it on my Kindle and keep doing this until I'm sure all the formatting is correct?
plug the kindle into a computer with usb. select the documents folder. drag the book into the documents folder. unplug the kindle. select the book and view it.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can use the kindle previewer or kindlegen programs to build your mobi (the distinction between mobi and azw is not applicable in this case) from your html/epub source and then sideload it on your Kindle like alansplace explained.

Kindlegen is what's used to build your mobi when you upload your source file(s) to Amazon anyway, so you should be able to see exactly what it's ultimately going to look like. You can then upload that previewed and verified mobi file to Amazon instead of your source files.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornways View Post
but I can only see the result of my efforts once the book has been uploaded and I've gotten it onto my Kindle that way--which involves a two to three day "review" delay.
do you know the Kindle Previewer?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621

ups, DiapDealer was faster.

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
You could also try emailing the HTML for conversion. It will be returned to you in AZW format. Instructions are in the Kindle Users Guide, Section 8.3 - "Converting and Transferring Your Documents." The Users Guide comes loaded on the Kindle. It can also be downloaded from here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
wornways
wornways began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks for your responses. I found KindleGen to be what I was looking for.
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote