Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
reader42
Zealot
reader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it is

Device: none
Coolreader

I started porting the Coolreader to my PB302.
It is not finished yet, but it can display books.
This is pretty much beta software so don't be surprised if it crashes often.

Get the zip from this post and unzip it.
Move cr3.app to /system/bin/
Move crengine/ to /system/share
Add cr3.app to epub and fb2 in /system/config/extentions.cfg

Now you should be able to read books with the Coolreader.
The keymapping is made for the PB302 but you can change it in crengine/keymaps/keymaps.ini
E.g. for the PB360 replace KEY_PREV / KEY_NEXT with KEY_UP / KEY_DOWN (probably, I can't test this) and so on.
It is possible to map two keys to the same action:
KEY_PLUS = DCMD_PAGEDOWN
KEY_DOWN = DCMD_PAGEDOWN

Only parts of the menu work so far. You get there with the power-key
Navigation is with the left keys Enter with the right. OK is the power key, ESC the round Back-key.

And there is no support for the touchscreen so far...
reader42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader42 View Post
I started porting the Coolreader to my PB302.
It is not finished yet, but it can display books.
This is pretty much beta software so don't be surprised if it crashes often.

Get the zip from this post and unzip it.
Move cr3.app to /system/bin/
Move crengine/ to /system/share
Add cr3.app to epub and fb2 in /system/config/extentions.cfg

The keymapping is made for the PB302 but you can change it in crengine/keymaps/keymaps.ini
E.g. for the PB360 replace KEY_PREV / KEY_NEXT with KEY_UP / KEY_DOWN (probably, I can't test this) and so on.
It is possible to map two keys to the same action:
KEY_PLUS = DCMD_PAGEDOWN
KEY_DOWN = DCMD_PAGEDOWN

Only parts of the menu work so far. You get there with the power-key
Navigation is with the left keys Enter with the right. OK is the power key, ESC the round Back-key.

And there is no support for the touchscreen so far...
Great job.
Could your sources be used for compiling version for PB360?

Sorry for posting in English, but I do not speak German ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
reader42
Zealot
reader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it is

It should not be necessary to recompile it for the PB360.
You only have to change the keymapping in crengine/keymaps/keymaps.ini
The same should be true for the PB301.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
For those who would like the tool translate.google.com will translate most any langege into most any languege for nothing. Simply copy the foreign languege text into the box given on the web site and tell it from what langeuge and to what langeuge and you can selct detect languege. In this case google translated the german to english for me and it was very understandable.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Great, I hope there will be a Version for 60X and 90X soon
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
E.g. for the PB360 replace KEY_PREV / KEY_NEXT with KEY_UP / KEY_DOWN
Here is a little quote from the firmware translations file
for PB360
@Key_left=Left
@Key_left_h=Left (hold)
@Key_right=Right
@Key_right_h=Right (hold)
@Key_up=Up
@Key_up_h=Up (hold)
@Key_down=Down
@Key_down_h=Down (hold)
@Key_ok=OK
@Key_ok_h=OK (hold)
@Key_next=Button 1
@Key_next_h=Button 1 (hold)
@Key_prev=Button 2
@Key_prev_h=Button 2 (hold)
@Key_next2=Button 3
@Key_next2_h=Button 3 (hold)
@Key_prev2=Button 4
@Key_prev2_h=Button 4 (hold)
@Key_music=Music
@Key_music_h=Music (hold)
@Key_menu=Menu
@Key_menu_h=Menu (hold)
@Key_delete=Delete
@Key_delete_h=Delete (hold)
@Key_plus=Plus
@Key_minus=Minus

I will play with those key codes

Quote:
(probably, I can't test this) and so on.
Just let us know how we (PB360 owners) can help you.
I am practically jumping up and down with anticipation ;-)
Old 03-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
This version of Coolreader does run on my PB360.
I will experiment with keymaps.ini later.

Great, great job reader42.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
reader42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Just let us know how we (PB360 owners) can help you.
Well the only thing that needs to be done, is adjust the keymaps.ini

The idea is, that you connect the keys (KEY_*) with the actions ( DCMD_*, MCMD_*, CMD_* )

So if the Down-Key should got to the next page (in the "main"-view aka the book itself) you write in the [main] section:
Code:
KEY_DOWN = DCMD_PAGEDOWN
or to jump 5 pages
Code:
KEY_DOWN = DCMD_PAGEDOWN, 5
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
reader42
Zealot

New version available. The zip is attached to the first post in the German forum.
Some improvement in the menu are made, especially there is now touch screen support!
Please update keymaps.ini and keydefs.ini, they have changed.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
JimStar has successfully ported CR3 to the PB902:

I thought you might be able to compare notes, but it looks as though he's refusing to share with the community "... as matter of principle in relation to other, bad PB officials who continue to insult me on their russian forum even when I'm out there anymore... Would be better if they spend this time to fix the bad firmware..." Looks like a bad combination of a star-sized ego (no apologies for the pun) with hurt pride. Or something like that. A lot of attitude, too, of course, to round it off.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 03-09-2011 at 02:25 PM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Well the only thing that needs to be done, is adjust the keymaps.ini

The idea is, that you connect the keys (KEY_*) with the actions ( DCMD_*, MCMD_*, CMD_* )

So if the Down-Key should got to the next page (in the "main"-view aka the book itself) you write in the [main] section:
Code:
KEY_DOWN = DCMD_PAGEDOWN
or to jump 5 pages
Code:
KEY_DOWN = DCMD_PAGEDOWN, 5
Today I can't experiment, but I definitely will later.
(I shouldn't even be sitting at the computer at the moment, but how can I not to? ;-) - the doctor was quite strict, I feel much better now anyway )

KEY_DOWN
KEY_UP
KEY_RIGHT
KEY_LEFT
are keys in a 5-way "D-pad"
with KEY_OK in center, used as enter or as menu access key.
KEY_BUTTON1 and KEY_BUTTON2 (or perhaps KEY_NEXT and KEY_PREV accordind to header files in SDK) are the two big page-turning keys.

Default keys for turning pages in FBReader are
KEY_RIGHT and KEY_BUTTON1 for page forward
KEY_LEFT and KEY_BUTTON2 for previous page

KEY_DOWN and KEY_UP are used to increase and decrease the font size in FBReader.

The menu for setting reading application options is operated by KEY_OK
(This is different from your menu. Because what you call menu is in fact Library view)

If you need to test something (like non-public beta, or some setting), do not hesitate to contact me.

[rant mode]
By the way. It is absolutely amazing how you can do any development *at all* with the level of documentation in SDK. I was looking at header files to see how the buttons are called in PB360, and it is awful. There are quite a few #define statements for KEY_[SOMETHING] present that obviously have no corresponding hardware buttons in any device, without any explanation.
The only document, *in Russian*(!), in /doc/ directory merely states that there is no documentation and that we should see usr/include/inkview.h file. They didn't even bother translating this 30 line file to English [/rant mode].
Old 03-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
JustForFun
Enthusiast
JustForFun has learned how to read e-booksJustForFun has learned how to read e-booksJustForFun has learned how to read e-booksJustForFun has learned how to read e-booksJustForFun has learned how to read e-booksJustForFun has learned how to read e-booksJustForFun has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
First of all, a big thank you for starting the port. There are some things in the current fbreader180 which could be better. Hopefully CoolReader will become stable enough do be an alternative reader.

Wouldn't it be useful to set up a public repository for the sources somewhere, so that other developers could contribute? There are enough sites for this: github, bitbucket, launchpad, sourceforge, google code, ... there should be one suitable.

Last edited by JustForFun; 03-09-2011 at 03:12 PM.
JustForFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Please!! for PB902!!! and thanks to take the initiative. There is someone that ported to PB902, but he was very angry about PB programmers and decided to buy a sony PRS-950, so he will not share the coolreader for PB902...
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Great, I hope there will be a Version for 60X and 90X soon
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Hi Reader42, brilliant!
Just one question: from what you say here:

Quote:
do I take it that to port it to the new models it would only be a matter of changing the key mapping? Apologies if the question is silly, but I am very far from being a techy!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
Hi Reader42, brilliant!
Just one question: from what you say here:

do I take it that to port it to the new models it would only be a matter of changing the key mapping? Apologies if the question is silly, but I am very far from being a techy!
I'm no programmer either, but I'm afraid there is more to it, otherwise it would be a question of minutes to port s.th., not weeks
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote