Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Lexie
Lexie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Just starting out with Kindle 3 and Calibre

Hi,

I just recently got my first Kindle (3) and I installed Calibre to edit the metadata. I added to my Calibre library the content of my Kindle (some ebooks from Amazon and some from other sources--all of which work fine on my Kindle). After editing the metadata, I added them back to the Kindle. So now I have two versions of each book on there.

The new (edited metadata) books cannot be opened, however--I get the message that "this item cannot be opened" because it is licensed to another user. But this is the SAME Kindle that they were originally downloaded to!

I'm wondering what the problem is. I've heard of others running into this difficulty when they are transferring to a different Kindle, but this is the only one I have.

Any ideas?
Lexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I think you will find it is related to the DRM on the file.

Because you have effectively altered the file, it now no longer recognises it as being the same file.

DRM is anti-piracy and in a way your Kindle is acting as if you have tampered with the file (which you have) and now refuses to recognise it.

If you really want the file with the metadata changes that you applied you will need to look into removing DRM, which can be quite daunting (and perhaps illegal).

Otherwise just put up with the Amazon DRM and metadata.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Hm, that doesnt sound right. I have always edited metadata before on DRM files (without drm'ing them) and reloaded them, and they were readable on the kindle they were downloaded for. That was a new calibre feature maybe six months ago? There must be something else going on. Are you sure those books were downloaded for your kindle?

I would also delete the 'whispernet files' before reloading them from calibre. The process I use is from Amazon, purchase the book for my kindle but first select 'download to PC' option. Then from calibre I add them to the calibre library, add a cover, metadata etc, and then load them to the kindle. I hate having multiple files.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Lexie
Lexie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ah, OK,

Apparently that was the problem. If I download to my computer, then edit the info, I can then transfer it to the Kindle and open it.

It seems, however, that the edits will only work for one device. IOW, if I make the edits and transfer to my Kindle it's fine, but I can't use the same file on my Kindle for PC--it seems that it has to be downloaded from the archives, in which case the files don't sync.

I'm just messing around with all of this right now, figuring out how it works.

Thanks!
Lexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
If you really want the file with the metadata changes that you applied you will need to look into removing DRM, which can be quite daunting (and perhaps illegal).
If you are already using Calibre, adding a plug-in to remove DRM is far from daunting.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexie View Post
Ah, OK,
It seems, however, that the edits will only work for one device. IOW, if I make the edits and transfer to my Kindle it's fine, but I can't use the same file on my Kindle for PC--it seems that it has to be downloaded from the archives, in which case the files don't sync
Kindle4PC is a separate device and can only have books downloaded specifically for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
If you are already using Calibre, adding a plug-in to remove DRM is far from daunting.
Yes, that plug in works a treat
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote