Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
$32.79 for an ebook?

Why does Bryce Courtenay's book, Fortune Cookie, cost $32.79 at Kobo? And it's on sale from $47.42! Is it the foreign rights, exchange rate, greedy author?

And why does Barnes & Noble and Amazon not carry it?

Just curious as to how these ebooks are being priced and distributed these days. Any thoughts?

Here's the link to the book.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
that is an awful lot for an ebook! anecdotally in the past (I'm not sure if it still happens) occasionally in the kindle store s price would be crazy high. apparently if Amazon was alerted to the situation they would lower it.

I'm not familiar with Kobo and how it works, but the only book I could find at Amazon by the same author was The Power of One listed for 10.20. it sells for $22 at Kobo

edit: a book by the same author sold at both sites
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Optimism?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I looked on Dymocks, and the hardback list price is $49.95 (AUD). They are not selling the ebook, which is strange since it is published by Penguin Group Australia. Some other hardbacks seemed to be in the $50 range, so perhaps this is just how books are priced in Australia.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's a big discount from the $65.63 hardcover!
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I looked on Dymocks, and the hardback list price is $49.95 (AUD). They are not selling the ebook, which is strange since it is published by Penguin Group Australia. Some other hardbacks seemed to be in the $50 range, so perhaps this is just how books are priced in Australia.
From what I gather reading other threads on this site, books are priced like this in Australia. It seems to be one of the reasons so many Aussies like ebooks, because they're so much cheaper. According to my very scientific and well-researched analysis on the subject.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
From what I gather reading other threads on this site, books are priced like this in Australia. It seems to be one of the reasons so many Aussies like ebooks, because they're so much cheaper. According to my very scientific and well-researched analysis on the subject.
I was shocked, shocked!, by the price of books on a visit to Australia a couple of years ago.

Of course, pretty much everything in Australia is more expensive than in the US, but books were 2-3 times as much as they cost over here.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
that is an awful lot for an ebook! anecdotally in the past (I'm not sure if it still happens) occasionally in the kindle store s price would be crazy high. apparently if Amazon was alerted to the situation they would lower it.

I'm not familiar with Kobo and how it works, but the only book I could find at Amazon by the same author was The Power of One listed for 10.20. it sells for $22 at Kobo

edit: a book by the same author sold at both sites
I noticed that on Barnes and Noble too, if you see a price like $19.99 or something one day, wait a couple days and it's down to normal like $9.99
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
That is way more than I would ever pay for a book. Even if I really, really wanted to read it.

. . . even if I lived in Australia.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
I'm half way through Karl Popper's Logic of Scientific Discovery (~US$ 14 KINDLE), should I follow with http://www.amazon.com/Inquiry-Logic-.../dp/B000V9UC0S US$ 175?
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
C.I.Bond
I need to clean this tub!
C.I.Bond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I was shocked, shocked!, by the price of books on a visit to Australia a couple of years ago.

Of course, pretty much everything in Australia is more expensive than in the US, but books were 2-3 times as much as they cost over here.
No trees so they have to make books out of kangaroos and catching the buggers takes a lot of effort? It seems like the simplest explanation doesn’t it?
C.I.Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
How about this one? It is on sale for $6,431.20

http://www.amazon.com/Selected-Nucle...1854086&sr=1-1
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
How about this one? It is on sale for $6,431.20

http://www.amazon.com/Selected-Nucle...1854086&sr=1-1
hey! such a deal! 2k off the hard cover!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
That is way more than I would ever pay for a book. Even if I really, really wanted to read it.

. . . even if I lived in Australia.

We become desperate - desperate I tell you!!!

Cheers.

The price of CD's and DVD's are not that great either.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
PatNY, try Borders AU. It has the ePUB for $29.95 AUD (I know, still not that cheap), but I don't know if it'll be geo-restricted.

Why is the ebook so steep in price? The ePUB is close to the price for a new release mainstream trade paperback here. I guess the local publishers still want to treat ebooks like physical books.

Why are physical books so expensive here? Although there's some arguments to be made for economy of scale, most of it I really think is due to the stranglehold that local publishers have here. We currently have parallel importation restrictions, meaning that local bricks-and-mortar booksellers aren't allowed to sell overseas editions of books (e.g. American, British) when local publishers have the rights to publish and sell their own editions of these books here. The federal government was considering a few years ago to remove such restrictions so that local booksellers could remain competitive by importing cheaper, overseas versions, as more and more Australians turned (and still do turn) to ordering overseas from Amazon and the Book Depository. Local publishers and some local authors lobbied successfully against this however, claiming that allowing overseas imports to be sold in retail would destroy the local industry and stunt the growth of Australian literature.

I would like to support the local book industry, but being like any other person here who loves reading, if I can get three physical books from the UK-based Book Depository for the cost of one book from a local retail store such as Dymocks, I'll go for the Book Depository.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote