Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Rumor: Amazon Kindle to go worldwide with Vodafone?

Don't place your bets just yet, but we've received word from an unnamed tipster that Amazon is in talks with Vodafone Chief Arun Sarin to launch its Kindle reader outside the States. Vodafone is one of Europe's biggest network providers, offering network services to countries such as Germany, the UK, Italy, and Spain. But also countries outside Europe, such as Australia and New Zealand and anywhere else where Vodafone is operating could benefit from a Amazon-Vodafone partnership.

Okay folks, the moment you've all been waiting for might almost be upon us. E-books for the masses.

Related: Request for the Kindle to be released internationally
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Shouldn't this go into the News section?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Shouldn't this go into the News section?
It's more of a rumor than anything else for the moment. I've heard similar things about the Kindle in France, but not with Vodafone.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But, anything on the front page worthy I would classify as news even if it is just a rumor at present.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
now all we need is a "don't have a kindle? read this book on your PDA" button and bye bye paper!

mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If it's indeed Vodafone, this would be awesome cool.

Think about travelling. In future, when you pick a beach for your next summer vacation, only make sure that it's in a country with Vodafone connectivity
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Actually, this makes sense.
Vodafone its the only operator who could provide "almost" global coverage in Europe, this would mean Amazon only has to negotiate and sign one deal.

To my knowledge no other operator is in this position in Europe.

(Not to mention that operator fragmentation would complicate manufacturing and distribution.)

So at the very least the rumor has some credibility.

I'm also thinking that in Europe Amazon could even have the final customer buy (or use) a SIM and pay for bandwidth.
Although that is unlikely, it could be the easiest way for them to expand.

If Amazon is really moving that fast, it would also mean that it has secured global distribution rights for kindle titles.

Good news indeed.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Has iRex got the exclusive rights for Europe? E-ink is a patented invention, and it can be subject to territorial licenses.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What type of network does Vodafone use?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
What type of network does Vodafone use?
Vodafone uses a GSM/UMTS network.

GPRS it's slower but Considering the power requirements of UMTS and present limitations of e-ink it wouldn't make any sense to use it for the types of transfers that are gonna take place.

UMTS coverage it's also kinda limited to urban areas. (Not to mention the components for basic GPRS cost peanuts)

As I've mentioned above, if at some point Amazon it's gonna start charging for my network use anyway, I'd rather use my own SIM and "unlimited" data plan.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:34 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
GPRS would work just fine for the size of files that eBooks involve. I use it all the time for web browsing from my SmartPhone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:35 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero View Post
Has iRex got the exclusive rights for Europe? E-ink is a patented invention, and it can be subject to territorial licenses.
Heavens no. Bookeen are in Europe too, don't forget.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
But what are all of the "I guess Amazon doesn't want my money because I don't live in the US" people gonna have to complain about now?!

KIDDING!!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #14
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Vodafone's coverage (or lack of!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
But what are all of the "I guess Amazon doesn't want my money because I don't live in the US" people gonna have to complain about now?!

KIDDING!!
That would be funny except that where I live, vodafone has lousy network coverage. I think it would probably be ok in and around the CBD but get too far out of the city and its bye bye phone service...

PS: I live in Hobart and it takes about 3 hours to drive across the entire state - its not a big area.

Still, if Kindle came to Australia, even if they were on vodafone, I would still buy one (assuming that Amazon are smart enough to undercut Dymocks by, oh say, $300 bucks )
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:35 AM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I don't think there will be any lack of things to complain about...

The first thing would be that there are almost no titles available that are not English. I usually read english books anyway, even though I am German, but my girlfriend is very unhappy that I can't buy or even "steal" German ebooks for her anywhere...
Other things will come up, I guess pricing issues ($=€) with device and books (a 9.99$ ebook should cost something like 7€ at a €$ rate of 1.4 but will most likely cost 9.99€, just like in iTunes) and so on...so I guess there will be no lack of things to complain about, but most of us over here would be very happy anyway...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote