Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
bschase2
bschase2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sony vs Kindle eBookstore

OK, new thread to help focus topic.

How much better is Kindle vs. Sony. It was mentioned in my earlier thread the Kindle's store was better, but I am struggling with evaluating it myself. I think I would get a sony if I knew that I would be happy with the bookstore, but I am worried that once I purchase the device, I will suddenly understand why I should have got a Kindle.

Sony users... can you support your book store?

Kindle users... can you help me out too?
bschase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
With the sony you are not tied to one store, you can buy from any store that sells epub (B&N excepted for the moment), so theoretically you have more choice. On the other hand, amazon has a very good and diverse collection (or so I've heard), and most of the time better prices (again, this might change in the future).

What I would do in your place, is search for books I would be likely to buy for my future reader, and check the availability and price on amazon and a selection of epub stores (not just sony). You can use websites like http://ebookprice.info or http://inkmesh.com to help you with your searches, but don't take the information they give you for granted, I hear their databases are not always updated.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
With the sony you are not tied to one store, you can buy from any store that sells epub (B&N excepted for the moment), so theoretically you have more choice. On the other hand, amazon has a very good and diverse collection (or so I've heard), and most of the time better prices (again, this might change in the future).
The implication of this, that you are tied into Amazon's store is FALSE. I have purchased works from a number of retailers, like Smashwords and Drivethrurpg.com and directly from publishers like Chaosium that play quite nicely with my Kindle DX. About a third of the content on my KDX is from non-Amazon sources.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
The implication of this, that you are tied into Amazon's store is FALSE. I have purchased works from a number of retailers, like Smashwords and Drivethrurpg.com and directly from publishers like Chaosium that play quite nicely with my Kindle DX. About a third of the content on my KDX is from non-Amazon sources.
For mainstream, commercial, drm titles I think you are (sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't got a kindle and I'm going on what I've heard). Of course there are alternative sources of books for all readers. It really depends on the op's reading habits and tastes.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

only if they are DRM-FREE.

The Kindle is basically tied to the Amazon store for any "new" purchases. DRM-free Mobi, text, etc. will work with it or if you can strip DRM and convert it to mobi.

There are more stores that provide "standard" AdobeDE DRM Epub than just the Sony store.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-17-2009 at 09:46 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
What I would do in your place, is search for books I would be likely to buy for my future reader, and check the availability and price on amazon and a selection of epub stores (not just sony).
Take it from omk3, that's some sound advice and is the most important step in deciding which ereader is the best for you. And speaking of inkmesh, here's a recent study they did comparing Amazon's ebook store to Sony's and B&N's.

And here's another good site for running ebook prices with a lot of search options so you can narrow it down to stores that only sell epub: http://ebooks.addall.com/

A short list of epub stores:
ebooks.com
kobobooks.com (formerly shortcovers)
diesel ebooks.com
ebook eros.com
eharlequin.com
powell's books
books on board
fictionwise
Waterstones (UK)
WHSmith (UK)

Good luck!
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschase2 View Post
Sony users... can you support your book store?
Well, tangentially, do you have access to an on-line library? :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The reason one would normally want to buy from other ebook retailers is because they cannot find the book they want or can't find it at a price they are willing to pay. Amazon tends to have more books at lower prices.

There are those who have pay memberships retailers like Fictionwise that are able to work the system so that they can sometimes get lower prices than Amazon. It depends on how much work you are willing to put into it. Me, I just like to download and read without a lot of hoop jumping.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The reason one would normally want to buy from other ebook retailers is because they cannot find the book they want or can't find it at a price they are willing to pay. Amazon tends to have more books at lower prices.
Sorry, Daffy, but I think you are missing a small but significant group of us who are not driven solely by price but rather by the desire to support a bookstore other than Amazon to insure that there is viable competition to Amazon. If Amazon didn't have to compete with, say, B&N, I suspect its prices would be higher.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
only if they are DRM-FREE.

The Kindle is basically tied to the Amazon store for any "new" purchases. DRM-free Mobi, text, etc. will work with it or if you can strip DRM and convert it to mobi.

There are more stores that provide "standard" AdobeDE DRM Epub than just the Sony store.
But which version of Adobe DRM are these epub stores using and will your particular reader support it? A single standard like epub would be grand, but it really doesn't matter all that much when the titles are DRMed and there are a number of different DRM schemes around.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer

Quote:
For mainstream, commercial, drm titles I think you are (sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't got a kindle and I'm going on what I've heard). Of course there are alternative sources of books for all readers. It really depends on the op's reading habits and tastes.
Reading tastes are certainly something to take into account, but there are a number of places where you can go to purchase content that is ready for the Kindle. I have purchased DRM free mobi and pdf titles for my Kindle at places like Smashwords and Fictionwise.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But which version of Adobe DRM are these epub stores using and will your particular reader support it? A single standard like epub would be grand, but it really doesn't matter all that much when the titles are DRMed and there are a number of different DRM schemes around.
They all use the AdobeDE with the exception of B&N who has decided to implement a new version (but I suspect all will move to it shortly).

The real point is that Kindle only allows non-drm formats other than amazon's DRM-Mobi and Topaz and the only way it can be used for other stores is if those files are non-drm.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Reading tastes are certainly something to take into account, but there are a number of places where you can go to purchase content that is ready for the Kindle. I have purchased DRM free mobi and pdf titles for my Kindle at places like Smashwords and Fictionwise.
Right, these are typically public domain books or freebies from the authors who are unknown mostly. The new releases are all DRM'd and while Amazon has many of them and generally at good prices that is far from always the case.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Sorry, Daffy, but I think you are missing a small but significant group of us who are not driven solely by price but rather by the desire to support a bookstore other than Amazon to insure that there is viable competition to Amazon. If Amazon didn't have to compete with, say, B&N, I suspect its prices would be higher.
I did say "normally" but I see your point.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
bschase2
bschase2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post

A short list of epub stores:
ebooks.com
kobobooks.com (formerly shortcovers)
diesel ebooks.com
ebook eros.com
eharlequin.com
powell's books
books on board
fictionwise
Waterstones (UK)
WHSmith (UK)
Wow... great advice here!!! Thanks everyone. One question, do these stores only carry Epub? Which, the Kindle can't read?
bschase2 is offline   Reply With Quote