Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
somfmagttl
somfmagttl began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kobo Question: Organizing My Books

Currently, I use Apple's iBooks app and the desktop version of Kindle on my laptop. My books are organized into "collections" by general subject areas, e.g. History, Biography, Politics, etc. I'm considering buying a dedicated device for reading my e-books. One feature that is important to me is having the ability to easily change the order of my various book categories or collections. It's easy in iBooks, but not so easy in Kindle. Question: How easy is this to do on the Kobo devices?

Thanks very much for any replies.
somfmagttl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you use calibre extremely easy. Every time you attach the eReader to your computer, calibre will update the collections books are in to reflect how they are classified in calibre

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
somfmagttl
somfmagttl began at the beginning.

Device: None
I not entirely sure if my question was clear since I'm not familiar with the Kobo software. My question had to do with organizing (and re-organizing) the order in which the collections are listed (e.g., alphabetically or in some other fashion), not the sorting/updating of individual books within collections.
somfmagttl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by somfmagttl View Post
One feature that is important to me is having the ability to easily change the order of my various book categories or collections. It's easy in iBooks, but not so easy in Kindle. Question: How easy is this to do on the Kobo devices?
If you store all your books in Calibre and manage your Collections there (via Tags or some other custom column(s)) it is trivial to transfer Collections from Calibre to a Kobo device. It all happens during Calibre's send-to-device via USB process. If you decide, at a later date, to change any/all your calibre Collections you can rearrange the Collections on the Kobo simply by re-connecting the Kobo to Calibre and waiting for the magic to happen automatically.

Once the Collections have been transferred you can sort the list of Collections on the Kobo by Name or by Number of Books or by Date Created.

If you select a single Collection you can sort the book list by:
  • Recent
  • Date added
  • Title
  • Author
  • Series
  • File size
  • File type

In case it's of interest, transferring the following Calibre metadata to a Kobo is also trivial:
  • Cover image (will be used as a thumbnail in the Kobo GUI and as a screensaver when the Kobo is in standby mode)
  • Series name & number
  • Comments
  • Publisher
  • Language
With a little extra effort you can use Calibre's Metadata Plugboard feature and the Kobo Utilities plugin to transfer any other useful custom data of your choice. For example, I also transfer Page and Word counts.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The order of collections can be sort by:
Collection name (alphabetically).
Number of books.
Date created.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert