Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I can fix it, but it is a very large site, and there is, unfortunately, all the books are equally converted

And so, thanks, prompted, to convert fb2->epub yourself, to try it

Last edited by Semwize; 01-06-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #17
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Try this I can't in this moment.
It has no errors.
Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Converted to kepub, there is no popup footnote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Semwize,

In addition to 3 minor problems (according to calibre's Check Book) with your epub there is one major problem which is causing so many errors in epubcheck. This major problem is that throughout the epub (but mostly in ch2.xhtml the footnote file) the HTML has >200 occurrences of <span> tags which contain <div> and <p> tags.

The good news is the simple solution (for this particular epub) is to use an epub editor to change all those <span ...> and </span> tags to <div ...> and </div> tags. You then only have the 3 minor warning errors to clear up. If you are familiar with epub clean-ups you should be able to do all this in a few minutes.

The bad news is that even once the epub is clean I don't think the HTML footnote links are coded in a way that will cause the kepub to display them as pop-ups, because each footnote does not contain a matching backlink to where you came from.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The bad news is that even once the epub is clean I don't think the HTML footnote links are coded in a way that will cause the kepub to display them as pop-ups, because each footnote does not contain a matching backlink to where you came from.
There doesn't have to be a backlink for the footnote popup to be used.

But, I've been playing with Semwize's book and I cannot get the footnote popups to display. I have changed the links to use sup tags and removed the classes. I've fiddled with the destinations to be the paragraph, an anchor, added the backlinks and cleaned up the code a bit. looking at other books that use footnotes and work, I cannot see what the difference is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #21
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, I've been playing with Semwize's book and I cannot get the footnote popups to display. I have changed the links to use sup tags and removed the classes. I've fiddled with the destinations to be the paragraph, an anchor, added the backlinks and cleaned up the code a bit. looking at other books that use footnotes and work, I cannot see what the difference is.
So I can not, works splits the list of footnotes to pages.

"page-break-after: always" does not work.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #22
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There doesn't have to be a backlink for the footnote popup to be used.

Odd! All I can say is the kepub footnotes pop-up for me in Semwize's book after cleaning-up the errors and re-coding the links. I didn't add any <sup> tags or CSS changes, but I did add HTML backlinks and used regex to logically renumber all 193 link/backlink ids to match the actual footnote number.

Here's an example:

Before - main body HTML (ie ch1-2.xhtml)::
Code:
<p ...>some text<a href="ch2.xhtml#id49" class="a">[1]</a></p>
Before - footnote HTML (ie ch2.xhtml):
Code:
<span id="id49">
    <div class="title1">
         <p class="p">1</p>
    </div>
</span>
After - main body HTML (ie ch1-2.xhtml)::
Code:
<p ...>some text<a href="ch2.xhtml#fn1" class="a" id="back1">[1]</a></p>
After - footnote HTML (ie ch2.xhtml):
Code:
<div id="id49">
    <div class="title1">
        <p class="p"><a id="fn1" href="ch1-2.xhtml#back1">1</a></p>
    </div>
</div>

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-07-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:31 AM   #23
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The KOReader cr3 "Links" menu:

a "Go back to previous location" selection (Greyed out if not in a linked location)

Then Check boxes for:

Tap to follow links

Swipe to go back

Swipe to follow first link on page

Swipe to follow nearest link

Swipe to jump to latest bookmark

I am still on version 1423, so there might be some changes/additions to the above.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; KOReader has also enlarged the touch area for links.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-07-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Odd! All I can say is the kepub footnotes pop-up for me in Semwize's book after cleaning-up the errors and re-coding the links. I didn't add any <sup> tags or CSS changes, but I did add HTML backlinks and used regex to logically renumber all 193 link/backlink ids to match the actual footnote number.

Here's an example:

Before - main body HTML (ie ch1-2.xhtml)::
Code:
<p ...>some text<a href="ch2.xhtml#id49" class="a">[1]</a></p>
Before - footnote HTML (ie ch2.xhtml):
Code:
<span id="id49">
    <div class="title1">
         <p class="p">1</p>
    </div>
</span>
After - main body HTML (ie ch1-2.xhtml)::
Code:
<p ...>some text<a href="ch2.xhtml#fn1" class="a" id="back1">[1]</a></p>
After - footnote HTML (ie ch2.xhtml):
Code:
<div id="id49">
    <div class="title1">
        <p class="p"><a id="fn1" href="ch1-2.xhtml#back1">1</a></p>
    </div>
</div>
That's about the only thing I didn't try. I moved the destination to the paragraph that actually contained the text. I'll try yours tonight. With this, what is actually displayed in the popup?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With this, what is actually displayed in the popup?
Here are 2 screenshots. First is the pop-up footnote, second is a view of the full footnote via the 'See more' button on the pop-up.

BTW, I know it's normal to lose all the footnote formatting when popped-up but I don't know why the Cyrillic letter-spacing is so wide. Pop-ups in my English books have normal letter-spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	popup.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	161357   Click image for larger version

Name:	full.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	161358  
Old 01-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #26
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
BTW, I know it's normal to lose all the footnote formatting when popped-up but I don't know why the Cyrillic letter-spacing is so wide. Pop-ups in my English books have normal letter-spacing.
It's because of the fonts:
KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf
KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M.ttf

If you remove them, the interval will become normal.

jackie_w,
Thanks, your option works.

P.S. but as you have with non-breaking space, for some reason it does not work in kepub I wanted to convert my entire library to kepub, but it stops ...

Last edited by Semwize; 01-07-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #27
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks, your option works.

P.S. but as you have with non-breaking space, for some reason it does not work in kepub I wanted to convert my entire library to kepub, but it stops ...
I don't understand. How are you creating your kepub? As you can see, the screenshots I attached above are from a kepub. It was created automatically from the cleaned-up epub during calibre send-to-device by using the KoboTouchExtended driver. The resulting kepub is only sent to the Kobo, not added to the calibre library. This driver does an epub-to-kepub format-shift rather than a full conversion.

Are you saying you did a full conversion and it "broke" something?

Quote:
It's because of the fonts:
KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf
KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M.ttf
If you remove them, the interval will become normal.
Good. It sounds like you have been able to fix your device to avoid this.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #28
Semwize
Guru

jackie_w
No, I have everything working)
I'm writing about a non-working in Kepub non-breaking space
And I ask, why so

Last edited by Semwize; 01-13-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #29
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Following up on davidfor's suggestion that the backlinks are not actually required for footnotes to pop-up in kepubs. My earlier suggested footnote HTML coding can be simplified to:

After v2 - main body HTML (ie ch1-2.xhtml):
Code:
<p ...>some text<a href="ch2.xhtml#fn1" class="a">[1]</a></p>
After v2 - footnote HTML (ie ch2.xhtml):
Code:
<div id="id49">
    <div class="title1">
        <p class="p"><a id="fn1">1</a></p>
    </div>
</div>
Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #30
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Code:
 id="id49"
it's unnecessary, is not it?