Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Tapetum
Tapetum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Ed2
Aura Ed2: trouble getting started

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a brand new Kobo Aura Edition 2 working. Nearly straight away I ran into a roadblock that I have been unable to circumvent with the aid of a popular search engine. So I've come here looking for help and guidance.

My initial goal for this device is to be able to borrow books in ePub format from the local library. From reading about that I discovered Adobe Digital Editions must be installed to my computer to manage the DRM side of things. My computer is running Win XP and I've installed ADE v2.0.1.

After charging my eReader I powered it on. Following its screen prompts I chose my default language (English) and connected the device to my computer via USB cable. After that there's a prompt to use a browser to visit www.kobosetup.com, the point of which is to have me download and install Kobo Desktop software on my computer. Although Kobo no longer supports XP I was able to download a version of Kobo Desktop compatible with XP from their website.

After installation, the Kobo Desktop software synced with Kobo.com to successfully update content, annotations and dictionaries. The problem comes with the next step; it stalls on "syncing with your eReader..." It hangs there for hours without making any progress.

I've tried the usual rigmarole of uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting, getting out of the car and getting back in, even a factory reset of the eReader. Nothing has made it work, Kobo Desktop still hangs at the same step.

Kobo desktop did permit the authorization of my computer and or eReader using my Adobe ID. At least that much was achieved.

For the time being the eReader is stuck on the 'Visit our website' screen. Advice and assistance to get it working would be appreciated.
Tapetum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Was there an option to setup via wifi instead of plugging your Kobo in and using Kobo Desktop? There should be, with an ereader of this vintage.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
Tapetum

Yes, there was a wifi option. I don't have wifi though.

Some extra info:
Installed version of Kobo Desktop is v3.8.0.
eReader firmware (read from Kobo Desktop) is 4.4.9298
Old 12-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapetum View Post

Some extra info:
Installed version of Kobo Desktop is v3.8.0.
eReader firmware (read from Kobo Desktop) is 4.4.9298
I suspect that you will either need to find a wifi connection to finish setting up your Aura E2 or a computer with a modern enough OS to run Kobo Desktop 4.6.8062. I tried 3.8.0 in a WinXP virtual machine and it was not a happy camper connecting to my KA1.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Library, cafe, shopping centre, friend's place?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
Tapetum

meeera and DNSB, thank you for your quick responses.

I'll take my Aura E2 down to the local library to access their wifi network. Hopefully I'll be able to complete the setup that way.

Re XP, agreed, the OS is past it. Sticking with it is becoming increasingly trying with ever more software, peripherals and online services not supporting it. The arrival of this eReader may force my plans to upgrade in about mid-2018 to be brought forward to the immediate future.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to try the library's wifi, probably in a few days.

Until then, happy new year!
Old 12-31-2017, 04:00 AM   #7
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
...The arrival of this eReader may force my plans to upgrade in about mid-2018 to be brought forward to the immediate future...
If your want to be brought forward to the immediate future right now (with the same hardware), try Linux.

Happy new year and good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
If your want to be brought forward to the immediate future right now (with the same hardware), try Linux.

Happy new year and good luck.
That's not actually a good solution. A good solution is to upgrade Windows if the hardware is supported.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:36 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's not actually a good solution. A good solution is to upgrade Windows if the hardware is supported.
In general, upgrading XP to Linux is a VERY good solution. But I doubt that Kobo software will run natively on Linux and I know ADE won't.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:06 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
In general, upgrading XP to Linux is a VERY good solution. But I doubt that Kobo software will run natively on Linux and I know ADE won't.
But for those who are not technical enough, getting ADE 2.0.1 to run under WIne is not an easy job. But, one does not actually need Kobo Desktop. If one does not have WiFi at home and has a cell phone that allows tethering, there's the WiFi.

But to be honest, for eBooks, Windows does work better.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But for those who are not technical enough, getting ADE 2.0.1 to run under WIne is not an easy job. But, one does not actually need Kobo Desktop. If one does not have WiFi at home and has a cell phone that allows tethering, there's the WiFi.

But to be honest, for eBooks, Windows does work better.
Only because the software is written natively for Windows that isn't written natively for Linux (basically talking about ADE). When software is written for Linux, like Calibre, I would take Linux every time.

But for someone running an XP-era computer, you're going to get much, much better performance from Linux then you will from a newer version of Wndows – without worrying about malware or bitrot.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

When I upgraded from XP to 7, I was able to do it on the same computer. Not all computers running XP are incapable of running a newer Windows.

And given that Windows in is use now, it would be easier to keep using Windows because the software in use will still be able to be used.