Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I plugged my H2O in, copied 600MB of files to it. Deleted the files and then ejected it I did this three times. I then plugged in my Fiio X3II (hi-res music player) and copied the same file to it. I deleted the files. Then I plugged my H2O in again and did the same just once.

No problem at all. I'm running the latest Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Maybe it depends on the chipset of the USB ports. The laptop is using an IBM chipset for the USB ports.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-29-2017 at 04:17 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #17
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
And maybe from the Kobo firmware. I'm talking about Mark6. There's another kernel and driver.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #18
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
If something can hang/break USB like that, it's a driver/hardware bug (with obvious security implications). Particular Kobo versions may be tickling it in a way that other things aren't, but ultimately it should be fixed at the driver level.

It's probably worth itemizing the USB controller and kernel versions for people seeing the problem, to see if the problematic hardware/drivers can be narrowed down.

FWIW, I've loaded thousands of books over dozens of connect/reconnects on my H2O with no problems (using Ubuntu versions from 10-16) on 2 machines with "Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller" and "Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset".
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yep, the first bit is right, other than that I don't have to restart the Kobo, just restart the computer or change usb ports.
The comment about restarting the Kobo was about having a defined starting point. If you don't, you don't truly know what is going on.
Quote:
I am just copying files, and sometimes updating the database (all in one transaction) when I need to tweak the home screen or update series metadata. I even tried copying a large dummy file, and it seems to happen sooner with many small files.

Restarting the Kobo does nothing, as the usb port stops working even with other usb devices until a reboot.
In this case, I was wondering if restarting the Kobo device between connections to the PC would prevent the problems occurring. If you think the next time you connect this problem is likely to happen, restarting the device first might prevent it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #20
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I had a problem with my kobo working unreliably on a usb port, changed usb ports a few times, eventually it stopped working at all on one particular port.

Some time later, I upgraded a hard drive and while I had the system open, I noticed that the cable for the usb port on the case had fallen off of the motherboard completely. It must have been partially seated when it was working unreliably.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #21
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've used Debian 7 (wheezy) and 8 (jessie) on a couple of different ThinkPad laptops (currently Debian 8 on a T420), in the five years I've been connecting my Glo I've never encountered any sort of USB problems with any firmware version (currently 4.7.10413.)

(Edit: In case it matters, I'm still using the original cable that came with the Glo, but I have replaced the internal 2GB micro-SD card with an 8GB class-4 Sandisk card.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-29-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: ... original cable, replaced micro-SD ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #22
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I'm going to try this with FreeBSD later and see if it happens with it.

Also, this is not happening with any of my Minis (I have access to 2).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #23
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do not understand why write owners Mark4 and Mark5 that they have everything in order. When talking about Mark6.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #24
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
I do not understand why write owners Mark4 and Mark5 that they have everything in order. When talking about Mark6.
If they are running the same firmware it makes it very relevant. It is obviously a botched hardware or software implementation on the Kobo side. More likely software only as it happened after an update
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #25
Namenlos
Enthusiast
Namenlos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Could be a dying sdcard. Put the sdcard in a external reader and dump everything with dd a few times, if the sdard is bad you should get the same or at least other errors. If not you at least have a backup and you know the sdcard is fine.

If the sdcard is bad you can use gddrescue and read from the beginning to the end and vice versa to recover most of it.
Namenlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #26
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namenlos View Post
Could be a dying sdcard. Put the sdcard in a external reader and dump everything with dd a few times, if the sdard is bad you should get the same or at least other errors. If not you at least have a backup and you know the sdcard is fine.

If the sdcard is bad you can use gddrescue and read from the beginning to the end and vice versa to recover most of it.
The SD card is fine.

Sent from my Moto G5 using Tapatalk
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:16 AM   #27
Semwize
Guru

The SD card is replaced by a 32 gigabytes. With the old SD too.

For some reason it seems to me that it's the firmware of Mark6. Maybe I'm wrong.