Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
snoopyeab
snoopyeab began at the beginning.

Device: Aura HD
Aura not OK

My wife's Aura needed to update for some reason (she was perfectly happy with it the way it was). After the update all books are gone. (I only use Calibre to put books on, not Wifi). After a while she could not even find stuff anymore, so I used the links to go to an older firmware (3.8). This worked fine, only for some reason she can't remove books from the device anymore. So I tried to update to the latest version which again worked OK, but after some time it wanted to connect to Kobo desktop, which I don't want, since then it will sync and I don't want that. So I put back an older version (3.19). Again this wants me to download Kobo desktop but this does not work (the download works but the device does not connect. Any ideas what I should do?
Several things come to mind like reinstalling desktop from scratch, because right now I can't even install any other software (the device does not show up in Windows 10)
snoopyeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyeab View Post
... So I tried to update to the latest version which again worked OK...
I think thats the solution... plus `Block WiFi firmware upgrade` patch.

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
My wife's Aura needed to update for some reason (she was perfectly happy with it the way it was). After the update all books are gone. (I only use Calibre to put books on, not Wifi). After a while she could not even find stuff anymore, so I used the links to go to an older firmware (3.8). This worked fine, only for some reason she can't remove books from the device anymore. So I tried to update to the latest version which again worked OK, but after some time it wanted to connect to Kobo desktop, which I don't want, since then it will sync and I don't want that. So I put back an older version (3.19). Again this wants me to download Kobo desktop but this does not work (the download works but the device does not connect. Any ideas what I should do?
Several things come to mind like reinstalling desktop from scratch, because right now I can't even install any other software (the device does not show up in Windows 10)
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why turn wifi on at all?

Like you, I have an Aura that I never sync and am not really interested in updating, so I never turn wifi on. Problem solved.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
My wife's Aura needed to update for some reason (she was perfectly happy with it the way it was). After the update all books are gone. (I only use Calibre to put books on, not Wifi).
Had the device been restarted recently? This sounds like the database on the device was corrupt and couldn't be read. The device will work on an in-memory copy of the book data. If the database is corrupted, then it can't write changes to the database. When you restart the device, the database has to be read. If the device had not been able to updated the database due to the above, then when the device is restarted, old data will be read.

And a firmware upgrade will highlight this problem. The device will be restarted during the update, and if there is a problem with the database, it will be discovered at this time,
Quote:
After a while she could not even find stuff anymore, so I used the links to go to an older firmware (3.8). This worked fine, only for some reason she can't remove books from the device anymore.
And that goes with the corrupted database as well. Until that is fixed, or it is proved to be something else, the device isn't going to be happy.
Quote:
So I tried to update to the latest version which again worked OK, but after some time it wanted to connect to Kobo desktop, which I don't want, since then it will sync and I don't want that.
The only time that I can think of any of the Kobo devices wanting to connect to the Kobo desktop is during the setup. And then you get a choice of either WiFi or desktop setup. Doing one of these is mandatory unless you are going to do the tricks to bypass registration. And if you don't want the latest firmware, then the desktop setup is the easier to handle.

I think there is a popup at some time that will say that you haven't connected for a while and suggest that you do to get updates to the device and books. But, this is a suggestion and should only be displayed once. Or maybe once a month or something.
Quote:
So I put back an older version (3.19). Again this wants me to download Kobo desktop but this does not work (the download works but the device does not connect. Any ideas what I should do?
If you put older firmware on it, then you could connect to the device at that point. Does the device detect the PC when you plug it in? Have you restarted the device? The PC? Tried different cable or USB ports? If the device is detecting the PC and you have restarted everything, try USBDeview. Find and delete/uninstall any Kobo devices that are displayed in its list.

If that doesn't work, you will probably need to do a factory reset. That will let you start with a clean slate.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
snoopyeab

Thanks for the replies so far.
Indeed I also never need to connect to Wifi. The issue with the database makes sense, that would explain why it all of a sudden wants to connect to wifi or Kobo desktop. However with your suggestions I'm still not able to proceed:
- I used USBdeview and removed the occurences of the Aura
- I have done a fresh install of Kobo desktop, and it now offers to reconfigure
- I have done a reset with the pin on the device, it restarts and wants to be configured
- I connect it, start Kobo desktop, tell the device I want to not use wifi and the screen tells me to DL Desktop and connect, however no reaction and I do not see the device in Windows

Is there anything I need to change ( in sequence for instance) or is there another way to get the Aura and the PC talking again?

Last edited by snoopyeab; 12-27-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Wrong info
Old 12-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far.
Indeed I also never need to connect to Wifi. The issue with the database makes sense, that would explain why it all of a sudden wants to connect to wifi or Kobo desktop. However with your suggestions I'm still not able to proceed:
- I used USBdeview and removed the occurences of the Aura
- I have done a fresh install of Kobo desktop, and it now offers to reconfigure
- I have done a reset with the pin on the device, it restarts and wants to be configured
- I connect it, start Kobo desktop, tell the device I want to not use wifi and the screen tells me to DL Desktop and connect, however no reaction and I do not see the device in Windows

Is there anything I need to change ( in sequence for instance) or is there another way to get the Aura and the PC talking again?
Reading this and rereading the thread, the answer is simple: Do the setup that you are being prompted to do.

Something has gone wrong that has caused the device to decide it needed to do the setup again. It's possible this was a corrupted database. The database contains the Kobo user details, and if this messed up somehow, the device will prompt to do a setup.

The concern is that the PC isn't recognising the device. But, the device will only be seen by the PC if you tell the device to connect. When doing the setup, selecting the option to use PC, and connecting the the device to the PC, should be enough.

With everything that has happened, I would recommend doing a factory reset. That will format partitions, reinstall the original firmware and then prompt you to do the setup. Personally, I always do it via WiFi, but, it would probably be a good idea to try the PC setup. If the PC doesn't see the device, then do the setup via WiFi. And then connect to the PC.

If after the factory reset and setup the device is still not seen by the PC, I made suggestions in my last post of things to check. If nothing works, it could be the USB port on the device has been damaged. A few people have reported problems where the USB port on the device will charge the device, but can't connect to the PC. This usually happens to older devices or where there has been some damage done to the port. If this is the case, sometimes they can be fixed if you know someone with good soldering skills.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
snoopyeab

Davidfor, thanks for the reply,
I have basically tried all your suggestions, the only question I have is, do you do a factory reset with the pin, or do I have to do that in a different way?
Nothing I have tried sofar works. I have also tried to configure via wifi but it never finds a network so that is not going to work either. I have tried different cables, and yes in the past I have seen the device thru windows. When it tells me to connect and I consequently do that, the screen moves on, so the charging bit probably works but no other reaction. Also Kobo Desktop does not proceed after the screen where it tells me to plug into USB.
Using USBDeview I could see it made a connection when I put on 4.17.
The reason I originally wanted to go back is my wife's dislike of the new home screen which I can understand.I have the same reader and I never update it because I'm perfectly happy with it. I never understood why my wife's reader wanted to connect in the first place, I load books via Calibre and that's all I ever do to the reader.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
snoopyeab

I figured out how to do a factory reset on the Kobo site. Now trying to make this work...
Phew, it works. Thanks for the patience in answering my troubles. I gues my wife will just have to get used to the newer interface.

Last edited by snoopyeab; 12-28-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Succes
Old 12-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I figured out how to do a factory reset on the Kobo site. Now trying to make this work...
Phew, it works. Thanks for the patience in answering my troubles. I gues my wife will just have to get used to the newer interface.
Good that it is working. If you want to go back to the older firmware you can, but I would recommend another factory reset. You can install older the firmware over the current, but I only recommend going back a few versions. Going back to a 3.x would be to much and there is a database change in there that might prevent it from happening.

When I do want to play with an older firmware, the method I use is:

- Factory reset.
- Choose to setup via the PC.
- Let the Kobo desktop do its stuff, but DO NOT eject when finished.
- Replace the firmware files on the device with the version I want to use.
- Eject the device.

I have done this plenty of times over the years to try something in older firmware. But, with the trouble you have been having, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to go through more.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But if you do run an older firmware, you'll have to either patch it so it won't update the firmware on a sync or just not sync.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote