Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-04-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
2016 Book Club CATEGORY Nominations

2016 MobileRead Book Club CATEGORY Nominations

In 2016, we will have two fixed categories: January's Second Chance (a second chance for all the losing books of 2014) and July's Free-For-All in which any book in any genre may be nominated. Help us select the remaining 10 categories that the MobileRead Book Club will use in 2016.

The nominations will run through Monday night at midnight EST August 17 or until 30 categories have been fully nominated. The poll will then be posted and will remain open for one week.

• For this special nomination session, each member will have 6 votes which you can use to nominate categories or second or third the categories others have nominated.

• In order for a category to be included in the poll it needs THREE NOMINATIONS (original nomination, a second and a third).

• All members of MobileRead are welcome to participate, even if they have not participated in the book club in the past.

Official choices with three nominations each:

(1) Thriller, Suspense & Crime (sun surfer, PandathePanda, CRussel)
(2) Mystery (sun surfer, CRussel, Luffy)
(3) Travel & Adventure (sun surfer, CRussel, bfisher)
(4) Classics (Luffy, issybird, bfisher)
(5) Science Fiction (Dazrin, Nyssa, JSWolf)
(6) Fantasy (Nyssa, drofgnal, JSWolf)
(7) Biography and Memoirs (issybird, bfisher, Hamlet53)
(8) Humor (Luffy, issybird, WT Sharpe)
(9) Historical Fiction (Luffy, drofgnal, treadlightly)
(10) Science (Hamlet53, WT Sharpe, bfisher)
(11) History (Hamlet53, issybird, bfisher)
(12) Short Story Anthologies [various authors](din155, WT Sharpe, HomeInMyShoes)
(13) Horror (Luffy, WT Sharpe, Mims)
(14) Our Favo(u)rite Books (HomeInMyShoes, din155, Dazrin)
(15) Non-Fiction (JSWolf, Mims, Dazrin)
(16) Originally Non-English (sun surfer, issybird, bfisher)
(17) Romance (treadlightly, Mims, CRussel)
(18) Sports [Non-Fiction & Fiction] (ccowie, GA Russell, HomeInMyShoes)
(19) Patricia Clarke Memorial Library (HomeInMyShoes, GA Russell, CRussel)
(20) Inspirational Stories (PandathePanda, WT Sharpe, sun surfer)
(21) Sequential Art [graphic novels, etc.] (Nyssa, WT Sharpe, GA Russell)
(22) Award Winners [fiction] (John F, treadlightly, Nyssa)
(23) Short Stories [same author] (din155, kyteflyer, Hamlet53)
(24) Young Adult & Children's (sun surfer, HomeInMyShoes, Nyssa)
(25) Food [food theme, not cookbooks] (ccowie, treadlightly, bfisher)
(26) Contemporary (treadlightly, John F, Mims)
(27) Gay/Lesbian (PandathePanda, Nyssa, CRussel)
(28) War (issybird, PandathePanda, Hamlet53)
(29) Music (GA Russell, Luffy, ccowie)
(30) Fanfiction (PandathePanda, kyteflyer, John F)

The nominations are now closed.

Nominations awaiting a second or third:

* Modern Fiction(JSWolf)
* Stage [plays] (Hamlet53)
* Feminist Fiction (ccowie)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-06-2015 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Through Post #144
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I’ll begin by nominating-

Mystery
This is plain mystery and doesn’t include non-mystery thriller, suspense or crime books. The reasoning is that I love real mysteries (usually a murder or puzzling situation, to be solved by clues) but am not as big on the rest and so would like this to have its own category.

Thriller, Suspense & Crime
And the yang.

Travel & Adventure
For the explorer in us all.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will nominate Science Fiction as my first and I still need to decide on my others.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #4
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Let's sea:

I'll Second: Thriller, Suspense & Crime

Then introduce two nominations:

Inspirational fiction

Fanfiction
Fan fiction has become more popular and widespread since the advent of the World Wide Web; according to one estimate, fan fiction comprises one third of all content about books on the Web
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:02 AM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I’ll begin by nominating-

Mystery
This is plain mystery and doesn’t include non-mystery thriller, suspense or crime books. The reasoning is that I love real mysteries (usually a murder or puzzling situation, to be solved by clues) but am not as big on the rest and so would like this to have its own category.

And the yang.

Travel & Adventure
For the explorer in us all.
I'll second each of those. Still thinking about my other 3 votes.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 03:49 AM   #6
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I second MYSTERY
I nominate HISTORICAL FICTION
I nominate HORROR
I nominate HUMOR
I nominate CLASSICS

I'm reserving one vote.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:04 AM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I will nominate Science Fiction as my first and I still need to decide on my others.
I will 2nd Science Fiction, and I will nominate Fantasy.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:42 AM   #8
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'll second historical fiction and fantasy.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll second Classics.

I'll nominate Humor and Biography and Memoirs.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I third travel and adventure

I third classics

I second Biography and Memoirs.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

Travel & Adventure
Please revise your nominations. Mixing categories that do not go together is not a good idea.

Travel and adventure is a very good example of categories that do not go together. An adventure story does not go with a travelogue at all.

Thriller, suspense, & crime is three categories that don't fit. A book about an art heist has nothing to do with thriller or suspense.

So please redo those two because they don't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I third science fiction.
I third mystery.
I third fantasy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Nominate History (factual not fiction)
Nominate Science (factual not fiction)
Third Biography
Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I third science fiction.
I third mystery.
I third fantasy.
Mystery already has a third, so you've only used two of your six votes so far, Jon.

Folks: Watch me like a hawk to make sure your choices are accurately reflected in the first post! You can tell how far I've updated the post by looking at the "Reason for editing". I've already caught myself making at least one error, and the day's just begun!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I second Science (although it will never win).