Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
LaurieG
LaurieG began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air & iPhone 7
Backup and Restore Issue

(Marvin 3.1.1 build 33)

I alternate use of the app between an iPad Air and an iPhone 7. I've been successfully creating/saving a marvin.m3backup backup file to Dropbox on one devise so I can then export it to Marvin and restore it on the other device. But today, for the first time, it didn't work properly.

The file that was saved by Marvin on the iPad was a ZIP file instead of the usual marvin.m3backup file. I couldn't export that out of Dropbox to Marvin on the iPhone (not sure if that would be a good idea even if I could). I unzipped the file on my computer, figuring it might simply contain a larger marvin.m3backup file that I could then use. It didn't. It contained a folder with bunches of files of all the books, etc., none of which was useful for a restore (or is it?). I did just upgrade the iOS on both devices to 11.0. I don't know if that was a factor in this or not.

I don't see any options while backing up to specify whether or not to zip the file. I am up-to-date on all app updates. How do I fix this so the backup/restore will work again? Is the zip file standard after the file size reaches a certain point, and if so, how is it used to restore on a device?

Thank you!
LaurieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
Clark G. Flipper
Connoisseur
Clark G. Flipper began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I don't believe anything has changed in Marvin; it's rather your download software or your browser that behaved differently. In spite of the suffix "backup" a Marvin backup is internally a zip file, and your browser may have unzipped it automatically. If you avoid that automatism, or if you simply rezip the contents and adjust the filename suffix, then everything should be fine.
Clark G. Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
LaurieG
LaurieG began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air & iPhone 7
Renaming the zip file to marvin.m3backup did the trick. Thank you. I'd assumed it was within the zip file, not that it actually was the zip file with a different name/extension.

Thanks!
LaurieG is offline   Reply With Quote