Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
PRS 505 Ads

In the past we've seen occasional ads from Sony and good product placement at Borders. Where are the other ads for the Reader being placed?

I got one today, "Top 10 Hot Products" from online merchant SmartHome.com, link to their listing ($299)
http://www.smarthome.com/64305-sony-ebook-reader.html

I have nothing to do with this company, but I'm a customer and get their newsletter.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
horseyride
Enthusiast
horseyride began at the beginning.

Device: none
Rebate as well

Shipping can be offset by purchasing through fatwallet.com which seems to be kicking back 6.6% or about $20 on the purchase, which should at least cover shipping ($10.99 for me). Im not affiliated, but they did come through with 10% on a $1000 purchase from Lenovo
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I see they're reprising the "down the shirt" marketing picture in this version of the reader too. I'm not sure if that's a good move when they theoretically want to get women using the device.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't know how SmartHome can justify saying "Normally $349.99". They can't just take the old MSRP of the previous model and claim a fake savings. That ain't right.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
tzutolin
Connoisseur
tzutolin began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I don't know how SmartHome can justify saying "Normally $349.99". They can't just take the old MSRP of the previous model and claim a fake savings. That ain't right.
I agree. It is immoral by telling others a fake value. I wonder if other stuffs on this site are having the same *Fake* thing.

David
tzutolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 12:52 AM   #6
defzeppelin
defzeppelin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I see they're reprising the "down the shirt" marketing picture in this version of the reader too. I'm not sure if that's a good move when they theoretically want to get women using the device.

Depends on the woman

I personally don't mind the angle.
defzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
While we're at it,
I have yet to decide which color to buy (blue/silver), when my friend will be in the US next month.
Since I'll not be there to compare them, do you know of some site where I can see both of them side by side?
Also, there are other variants between which to decide? Accessories?

thanks!

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzutolin View Post
I agree. It is immoral by telling others a fake value. I wonder if other stuffs on this site are having the same *Fake* thing.

David
It would be illegal in the UK. A store isn't allowed to claim that something is "discounted" or a "sale price" or anything like that unless they themselves have previously sold it at the stated higher price for (I think) a period of not less than 30 days within the last 6 months.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would be illegal in the UK. A store isn't allowed to claim that something is "discounted" or a "sale price" or anything like that unless they themselves have previously sold it at the stated higher price for (I think) a period of not less than 30 days within the last 6 months.
It is illegal here to quote a sale price when the higher price is not the actual price of the item.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
MikeF74
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are similar laws here dealing with "perpetual sales". I don't know if it is at the federal level, I think it is a state-by-state thing.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
MikeF74
Groupie

I sent the company a friendly email about it. I wonder if anything will happen.