Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
FireOS 7.3.2.2: how to allow apps from unknown sources?

My Fire HD8 Plus is running latest version of FireOS. I don’t use it very much, in particular have very few 3rd party apps installed (I pretty much use it only for reading ebooks, to the extent I use it).

However, I would like to install a couple of ‘Apps from Unknown Sources’ (in this case, .apk’s I’ve created on an Android tablet). It’s possible the apps I’ve selected cannot be moved over due to security measures, etc. but at this point I am just trying to see if I can do it.

It used to be a simple toggle in Security & Privacy, and so far all of the articles I’m finding assume that is still the case, i.e. are worthless.

But now when I access this setting, kit only lists Silk Browser/Not Allowed. I can change that to Allowed, but what does that mean? That I can use it to download an .apk from the internet (which sounds unwise)?

….

After trying and failing to move the .apk’s over, I caved, enabled Silk to download apps, went to APKMirror downloaded and installed the apps I wanted to have. I’d still be curious to know what device-to-device file transfer methods might work, however.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-09-2021 at 06:08 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:06 PM   #2
bookmarked
Addict
bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Nexus 7, iPod Touch 4, HP TouchPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My Fire HD8 Plus is running latest version of FireOS. I don’t use it very much, in particular have very few 3rd party apps installed (I pretty much use it only for reading ebooks, to the extent I use it).

However, I would like to install a couple of ‘Apps from Unknown Sources’ (in this case, .apk’s I’ve created on an Android tablet). It’s possible the apps I’ve selected cannot be moved over due to security measures, etc. but at this point I am just trying to see if I can do it.

It used to be a simple toggle in Security & Privacy, and so far all of the articles I’m finding assume that is still the case, i.e. are worthless.

But now when I access this setting, kit only lists Silk Browser/Not Allowed. I can change that to Allowed, but what does that mean? That I can use it to download an .apk from the internet (which sounds unwise)?

….

After trying and failing to move the .apk’s over, I caved, enabled Silk to download apps, went to APKMirror downloaded and installed the apps I wanted to have. I’d still be curious to know what device-to-device file transfer methods might work, however.

Yes, it's been over 6 months since the OP asked about this, but since there aren't any replies, I thought I'd try a quick one in case he's still wondering about this or if anyone else has the same question.

First, the "Apps from Unknown Sources" option used to be an all or nothing choice on older versions of Android & FireOS. Now any app on your device that can install an APK should show up there with an on/off toggle. Out of the box, Silk is the only app that can install an APK and the default is off.

If you don't want to allow Silk to install apps, you first need to install some other app that can. My choice for that is a file manager. Many people swear by ES FileExplorer, but my own personal favorite is Total Commander, probably because I use the Windows version on all of my Windows PCs.

Once you have a file manager or other app to use to install APKs with, you can turn off "Apps from Unknown Sources" for Silk and turn it on for your file manager.
bookmarked is offline   Reply With Quote