Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #121
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
For the average punter with DRMed ePubs, providing drm-free ePub support would do no good at all.
Indeed.

If amazon as some scene, they would make at least the UK shop in ePub. That's the format used there by most publishers... And the format that will be read by the readers you can buy in the UK.

Until then, as other shop proposes me with the same book, in a format that my reader reads out of the box...

At some point : Mmm, my grand father reads lots. Why not an e-reader. But he have no pc. So kindle 3g, nice. But my grand-father don't speaks English, so unless the offer in French improves drastically....
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #122
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
I am very interested in the Kindle now it looks decent and the screen seems to have a great contrast, thats what I love about my Sony PRS-505.

But I have a few reservations about the books available to buy on Amazon as I only really read Sci Fi books. I assume I can take my epub books and use Calibre to convert them for use on the Kindle? But could I also go and buy books from Mobipocket and then read these on the Kindle?

Can I go anywhere else for books that I can use on the Kindle or am I stuck with the Amazone shop?
You like Science Fiction, have you tried Baen? They sell unrestricted ebooks in almost any format you could desire. They have mobi/prc for the Kindle. Any shop that sells ebooks without DRM will either have the Kindle format or you could easily convert it in Calibre. DRMed content is a bit trickier. If you're not inclined to remove the DRM then you must purchase from Amazon. If you don't mind removing the DRM then you can buy from anywhere, strip and convert and load on your Kindle.

The only downside to using non-Amazon content is that Amazon only syncs Amazon content. That's not an issue if you only use one device or app but it is a nice feature of the Amazon ecosystem.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #123
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post

But I have a few reservations about the books available to buy on Amazon as I only really read Sci Fi books. I assume I can take my epub books and use Calibre to convert them for use on the Kindle? But could I also go and buy books from Mobipocket and then read these on the Kindle?

Can I go anywhere else for books that I can use on the Kindle or am I stuck with the Amazone shop?
Yes, you can get DRM-free books anywhere. You can even get them wireless onto Kindle.
If you're into SF and Fantasy you're probably familiar with Baen and webscriptions and the Fifth Imperium web site, right? All of that is wide open to Kindle; Baen takes advantage of the Kindle's email service (each reader comes with its own email account) to send your purchased ebooks to Kindle that way. Other ebook retailers do the same; most have Kindle-browser friendly websites that let you acquire content (free or paid) directly from the Kindle. Depending on your wireless option (3G or WiFi) you may incur at *most* a tiny bandwidth fee of a few cents per book.
Of course, wireless isn't mandatory as you can "side-load via USB to your heart's content.
Kindles do have weaknesses but lack of quality content isn't one of them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #124
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Is the 3G version US only ? or can we poor cousin's in the UK make use of FREE 3G, and if we can, is that as soon as launch, and is launch WORLDWIDE or in stages ?

Yeah I know I'm Thick !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #125
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Is the 3G version US only ? or can we poor cousin's in the UK make use of FREE 3G, and if we can, is that as soon as launch, and is launch WORLDWIDE or in stages ?

Yeah I know I'm Thick !
The launch is world-wide; today for orders, shipments *nominally* by Aug 27.
(Traditionally Amazon starts new Kindle shipments early so a few early birds get theirs a day or two ahead of schedule.)

The 3g works world-wide. It has since last year.
There used to be bandwidth charges in non-US markets (bundled into the book price) but that has changed in many markets.
You'll want to check but I think the UK (as well as Canada) are among the countries with fully free 3G.
Different countries, different rules; you'll have to check at the new UK Kindle store.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #126
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post

Yeah I know I'm Thick !
I think it's the same version as the K2 international one: AT&T and not Sprint. So, yes, it should be usuable on this side of the big pond.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #127
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Pre-ordered. Amazon won the format war and are now the de facto standard. It's over now for ePub (much to my disappointment), but I'm not bitter. Well played Amazon, well played.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #128
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think it's the same version as the K2 international one: AT&T and not Sprint. So, yes, it should be usuable on this side of the big pond.

Thanks Sweetpea, That looks right, and Amazon UK are offering the 3G with free 3G ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LVUWFE ) So HOORAY

Now I just need money Anyone want to adopt a British son and buy him a Christmas present
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #129
Cyndi
Cyndi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I just pre-ordered a k3 in graphite. I'm sooooo excited!!
Cyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #130
Gerli
Protoculture
Gerli doesn't litterGerli doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 4
DowantDowantDowantDowantDowant!
Gerli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #131
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I'm weak. I just pre-ordered the WiFi K3. Graphite and the new contrast is too sexy.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #132
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I like the look of this but how does the wifi and 3G work, can you access all the web, or just certain selected sites? I have a Sony PRS600 at the moment, and an iphone. I convert everything to epub and it goes on both machines, so if the kindle won't take epub, and it limits the wifi/3G to specific sites its no use to me. I don't buy books, I have 1000's already to read so i don't need access to Amazon's store

I must admit after using ibooks I have a hankering for an ipad
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #133
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Pre-ordered. Amazon won the format war and are now the de facto standard. It's over now for ePub (much to my disappointment), but I'm not bitter.
I think that might be a bit premature. Not prepared to call it just yet.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I wonder if Amazon really sold out of the Kindles or just stopped selling them since any sold will be within the 30 day return period. I'm sure almost everyone would have exchanged it.

Also, I am curious to know if the new Kindle is at or near cost. New technology but same or lower price.
I think Amazon just sold out of the existing Stock of the K2 and will no longer be making any more K2s.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since I already have a reader, I'm going to wait and see what happens from Sony & B&N. Then if I want a new reader, I'll make my choice. The K3 sounds nice, but the lack of ePub is not doing Amazon any favors in the long run.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote