Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #91
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
I live in Israel. Previously the Kindles pretty much sucked in Israel because the lack of Whipsernet, but now, look what I see:
Quote:
We are excited to now ship Kindle to Israel. Customers in Israel will enjoy:
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Growing Selection: Over 420,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines are available for your country. Because publishers give us eBook rights on a country by country basis, available titles for your country will vary from our current U.S selection. We are actively working with publishers to get the rights to all titles for every country and adding this selection every day. Check the Kindle Store to see available titles.

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99, unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 150,000 titles are priced under $5.99
Seems like we Israelis can easily order a Kindle that will be fully accessible (with Internet support!)!

But I really wish that they'd update their KDX with the same functionality, I'd love the bigger screen (I have a bunch of textbooks in PDF).

Last edited by Caleb666; 07-29-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #92
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You mean the BAB hate (Big Aweful Bezel)?
You caught me being ironic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
This Kindle version I rather like. Looks much sleeker than that huge ugly thing that is the 1 and 2.

It's just a way of saying: we won't support any other DRM supplier, because we want the world to use ours. As soon as Amazon starts to support (DRM'd) epub, the other manufacturers better beware...
I have to agree. I really like the new K3 design, and WiFi only option. But I am currently infatuated with Augen's "The Book". I like its back lit lcd color screen... but they need to improve the firmware/software.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 07-29-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #93
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
Awww man. I can't believe I jumped the gun by one day and ordered the PRS-600 for £200 for my first reader.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 AM   #94
fumanchu314159
fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fumanchu314159 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
wifi -- free personal docs?

I'm wondering if Amazon's conversion service will still cost per megabyte if you download your docs through WiFi rather than 3G. Any ideas?

...I'm still waiting for the Google Editions announcement...I read many book excerpts for my work through Google Books and would *love* to do that on a Kindle!
fumanchu314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:11 AM   #95
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I couldn't say anything before, as I'm under NDA to Amazon - but when this is finally released on the 27th August, there will be a video of users from the UK, same as there currently is for the the USA. I don't know whether Amazon did any in other countries in Europe.

They are working on final edits at the moment, having filmed on the 19th of July. We got to play with the new Kindle 3 3G and compare it to our existing ones and then get all made up and filmed talking about how we liked it.

We were recruited from Amazon's Facebook page.

It was a fun day out and I'll have to see how fat the camera makes me look for my 5 seconds of fame ......
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #96
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yeah, still no ePub support...
Still no folder support...

What about annotation ? For mobi ? for pdf ?
What does pdf support on kindle looks like ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Looks like they're going to launch a UK Kindle store too...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/28/n...on-and-189-3g/
Nice
UK stores are accesible from frence, most of times.

I wish for a french store, really. Amazon might have enough weight to get our pubishers moving !

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-29-2010 at 04:50 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 AM   #97
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReaderReview View Post
Got a chance to play around with the new Kindle 3 in person. Here's the review - http://ireaderreview.com/2010/07/28/kindle-3-review/

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
You are kidding, right?
How does copy/pasting text from Amazon.com qualify as a review?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 AM   #98
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Amazon UK is now taking pre-orders.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LVUWFE
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:51 AM   #99
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
I live in Israel. Previously the Kindles pretty much sucked in Israel because the lack of Whipsernet, but now, look what I see:

Seems like we Israelis can easily order a Kindle that will be fully accessible (with Internet support!)!

But I really wish that they'd update their KDX with the same functionality, I'd love the bigger screen (I have a bunch of textbooks in PDF).
Ditto for your neighbours in Saudi Arabia
A friend of mine in Riyadh just bought the new DX the other day. Whispernet works like a charm!
He's waiting to see his bill at the end of the week though!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 AM   #100
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Amazon UK is now taking pre-orders.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LVUWFE
Cool.

I still have to order from amazon.com rather than amazon.fr...
Sad....
I hope they will move for france too.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #101
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_blackfang View Post
Awww man. I can't believe I jumped the gun by one day and ordered the PRS-600 for £200 for my first reader.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome.
Oh man, it sucks to be you. Can you cancel the order?
I'm looking at marrying my PRS-900 off and getting the Kindle DX. It's fantastic.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #102
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Kindle 3 looks very good. 1/2" off the width doesn't sound like much, but it'll mean it fits many more jacket pockets! Add in increased storage, battery life and contrast and price as low as £109. Wow.

But I'll stick with my Kindle 2 for now.

The only thing I'm really surprised about is the cover. The cover with the built-in light looks good, but £49? That's 45%of the price of the Kindle itself! That seems horribly expensive.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #103
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
In Sweden we have a saying; What you can't make on the swing you have to take in on the carousel.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #104
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Ditto for your neighbours in Saudi Arabia
A friend of mine in Riyadh just bought the new DX the other day. Whispernet works like a charm!
He's waiting to see his bill at the end of the week though!
That's strange.

Checking on Amazon.com, it says that the Kindle store is still not available in Saudi (or UAE, for that matter). What's the point of having Whispernet if you can't actually buy any content?
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #105
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
In Sweden we have a saying; What you can't make on the swing you have to take in on the carousel.
Yup, this does look like loss-leading to drive Kindle-format book sales for the profit.

But, I have to say "wow". It's very aggressive pricing in the UK.

£109 makes this the cheapest eReader around, and it's a 6", undercutting the prices of the nearest 5" models by £20. And the specs suggest that it's going to beat it's rivals on features as well. Just the new screen and the wifi kick the opposition into touch, let alone things like WhisperSynch.

I've been very much in the ePub camp, but I've got to hand it to Amazon over the last few months. The speed with which they've pushed out the Kindle apps to all the other major platforms, together with the features of these new models and their keen pricing, really is starting to outweigh the issue of their proprietary DRM.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote