Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-22-2024, 12:15 AM   #1
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Newspaper columns

A novel I am reading has a couple of chapters as newspaper columns.

I have tried both <tables> and columns created with <div> but both methods chop off the bottom of the table.

Reading the wiki... https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Table#long_columns
It states...
Quote:
One work around to to create artificial cells with no visible border to mark the row. The eReader can then switch pages at the invisible row separator.
Unfortunately I don't know what that means.

What is an artificial cell with no visible border? And how do you create it?
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:06 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you taken a look at the book you are reading to see how the columns were created there?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2024, 01:29 AM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you taken a look at the book you are reading to see how the columns were created there?
There weren't any. The pbook has columns. The ebook has no columns.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:52 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I think they are talking about empty cells <tr><td></td></tr> interspersed in the table to allow splitting. If I were to use that technique I would give the empty tr a class with a height of zero or something so it doesn’t look wonky.

However….

I’ve tried doing the two-column thing and never got it to work reliably. Divs and/or tables worked fine on a LARGE display but failed miserably on a phone. My recommendation would be to use queries in your css. If the device supports multi-columns css and has a big enough display use the columns css. Otherwise, just use css to style it how you wish, like a newspaper article for example, (font, alignment, indent, etc. ) but only a single column. The user still gets the feel of reading the news and can actually read it.

EDIT:

Here is an example of what I was talking about. Yes, Jon, this is an example of the css...we know you would change it to something else...

Code:
CSS:
div.news         {margin:2em 1em}
div.news p       {font-family:serif; font-size:.8em; text-align:justify; text-indent:0}
div.news p.title {font-weight:bold; text-align:center; font-variant:small-caps}

@supports ("column-count") {
   @media (min-width=800px) {
    div.news {column-count: 2;
              column-gap: 10px;
              column-rule: 1px solid black}

div.news p.title {column-span: all}
   }
}

HTML:
<p>This is a normal paragraph.</p>

<div class="news">
   <p class="title">Title of the Article</p>
   <p>This is a news paragraph.</p>
</div>

Depending on the device (eg. OLD ADE) you may need to put your queries on a separate css page. Some of those devices ignore the entire css page if it doesn't like anything on it...which is against the standard. In that case make sure you link the queries page AFTER the normal css... so it has higher priority.

Last edited by Turtle91; 03-22-2024 at 08:48 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:03 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
LoIn the past I wrote many posts about how to deal with kind of layout, even fake columns with a table and its issues under ADE. Do a search in Google with

RbnJrg column site:mobileread.com

Here you have a few links:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=223728

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284691

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...03#post4176903

Last edited by RbnJrg; 03-22-2024 at 08:08 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2024, 12:26 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Columns only sometimes works no matter what you do. I've edited some PD ebooks to have the columns sequential in a logical fashion. Slavishly copying more complex paper layouts is pointless unless everyone is using 10" screens and even then it can fail. Unless it's an actual table it works better to make columns just be regular sequential paragraphs in the order they will be read.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:37 PM   #7
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I think they are talking about empty cells <tr><td></td></tr> interspersed in the table to allow splitting. If I were to use that technique I would give the empty tr a class with a height of zero or something so it doesn’t look wonky.
Thanks. I was having trouble with that terminology as I hadn't come across anything described that way.

Quote:
I’ve tried doing the two-column thing and never got it to work reliably. Divs and/or tables worked fine on a LARGE display but failed miserably on a phone.
Yep. It works fine when the ereader can scroll the page, like Calibre Viewer, then the entire column shows, no problems. But then on the Kobo, which is page flips, the text is lost.

How is this not considered a major bug. Anytime an ereader fails to display text, then it needs to be treated as a bug.

Quote:
My recommendation would be to use queries in your css. If the device supports multi-columns css and has a big enough display use the columns css. Otherwise, just use css to style it how you wish, like a newspaper article for example, (font, alignment, indent, etc. ) but only a single column. The user still gets the feel of reading the news and can actually read it.
That is what I have decided to do. Ignore the two columns and style it as a single narrow blockquote, probably with a different font.

The entire pbook is a bit weird. I think too many liberties were taken with styling and it is a real jumble.
- newspaper columns.
- chapters in monospace font
- staggered paragraphs - narrow left justified, followed by narrow centered, followed by narrow right justified paragraphs.
- paragraphs that are boxed
- paragraph in sans

I was able to replicate all the others styles, but the newspaper styling had me stumped.

Quote:
EDIT:

Here is an example of what I was talking about. Yes, Jon, this is an example of the css...we know you would change it to something else...
Thanks, I'll give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
LoIn the past I wrote many posts about how to deal with kind of layout, even fake columns with a table and its issues under ADE. Do a search in Google with
Thanks @RbnJrg
I actually came across your second link and tried the code there. It worked and displayed the entire text but, because the paragraphs are not of equal size between column 1 & 2, there were too many gaps in each column and didn't look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Columns only sometimes works no matter what you do. I've edited some PD ebooks to have the columns sequential in a logical fashion. Slavishly copying more complex paper layouts is pointless unless everyone is using 10" screens and even then it can fail. Unless it's an actual table it works better to make columns just be regular sequential paragraphs in the order they will be read.
Yes, I've decided to ignore the double columns and style a single blockquote for those sections. I've already spent quite a lot of time on it, and don't really want to force something to work that obviously doesn't work.
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:54 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
How is this not considered a major bug. Anytime an ereader fails to display text, then it needs to be treated as a bug.
For what is is worth, since you state this is a bug, please point out where in the ePub specification in any of it's flavours does it specify displaying text in multiple columns the way that you appear to want.

As part of one project, I spend quite a bit of time playing with the column count (column-count=2, etc.) and, the results were not satisfying. I did find an epub.js implementation in a demo ePub3 ebook that worked quite well but the number of ereaders/apps that supported it could be counted on the toes of one foot.

When I tried to use a list in two columns, what I wanted was page 1 to show:
Code:
AA  |  AC
AB  |  AD
Whereas what I got was:
Code:
AA  |  AN
AB  |  AO
Please not that this displayed all the text, just not in the order I was expecting.

If you want multiple columns, the only reliable way I've found to have multiple columns emulate the look of a physical book, is to create a fixed layout ebook (ePub3 FLO, PDF, whatever).
Old 03-26-2024, 11:13 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
A novel I am reading has a couple of chapters as newspaper columns.

I have tried both <tables> and columns created with <div> but both methods chop off the bottom of the table.

Reading the wiki... https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Table#long_columns
It states...

Unfortunately I don't know what that means.

What is an artificial cell with no visible border? And how do you create it?
As long as you read with a webkit based reader such as KePub on your Libra 2, it's easy.

CSS
Code:
.column {
-webkit-column-count: 2;
}
HTML
Code:
<div class-"column">
<p><p>“He’s wearing a force field suit,” Renne exclaimed. “They can’t penetrate from that range.”</p>
<p>Hogan opened the general communications icon in his virtual vision. “All squads close in on the target. Pursue until he’s in open ground, then open fire. Overload that force field.” As he watched the squads putting the new tactic into play, screens on every console started to flicker. In his virtual vision, red warning graphics sprang up across his interface with the station’s network.</p>
<p>“Kaos software has been released into the local network nodes,” his e-butler reported. “The controlling RI is attempting to clear it.”</p>
</div>
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:05 PM   #10
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As long as you read with a webkit based reader such as KePub on your Libra 2, it's easy.
Thanks @jswolf.
I'm a couple of books further on now, so I won't be revisiting it anytime soon. Just opted for a single narrowish blockquote to make that portion distinct from the rest of the chapter.

Quote:
For what is is worth, since you state this is a bug, please point out where in the ePub specification in any of it's flavours does it specify displaying text in multiple columns the way that you appear to want.
Well, you know I can't. But maybe you can point me to where in the epub spec it specifys a character limit for a table cell. And when you exceed that limit, then text is discarded.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:40 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only thing you cannot do with the code I posted is have specific text in the columns.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:42 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Well, you know I can't. But maybe you can point me to where in the epub spec it specifys a character limit for a table cell. And when you exceed that limit, then text is discarded.
There is no real character limit for a table cell. OTOH, if you have more characters in a table cell than can be displayed in the cell width, where would you expect the excess characters to be displayed?
Old 03-27-2024, 04:10 PM   #13
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
OTOH, if you have more characters in a table cell than can be displayed in the cell width, where would you expect the excess characters to be displayed?
Line wrap??
Old 03-27-2024, 04:11 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Line wrap??
Most tables have a fixed height/width.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:36 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
There is no real character limit for a table cell. OTOH, if you have more characters in a table cell than can be displayed in the cell width, where would you expect the excess characters to be displayed?
The default is to crop, not wrap. It says that somewhere.
The epub2 has a subset of what works on websites, even if the website has no javascript etc and is just vanilla HTML5 and CSS3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote