Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-10-2022, 01:40 PM   #1
untracked
untracked began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Previewer
Jutoh, how to batch set pages to spread left and right pages?

Hello. Sorry, but there is no Jutoh section, so this is where I published my question.

I'm using Jutoh Standard edition to create a children book fixed layout. I have to set odd pages 1,3,5... page type to : spread right page and even pages 2,4,6... to spread left page. Is there a way to select multiple pages and apply to them or set it by default or anything to do it quickly?
untracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:19 AM   #2
famfam
Connoisseur
famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Jutoh doubling of words problem

Sorry for putting my question here because I did not find out, how to do a new thread here or elswhere.

I imported an epub (downloaded somewher in the net) to Jutoh.
After the import, a lot of words are doubled. I don't know the reason.
Is the copy protection responsible for the result in jutoh or what else could be the problem. Any idea?
Could the administrator help me, to put the thread at the richt place? Thank you.
famfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2024, 08:28 AM   #3
famfam
Connoisseur
famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.famfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Die Verdoppelung von Wörtern hat etwas mit den Begriffen des Sachregisters zu tun. Dort sind die Begriffe verlinkt mit den Teststellen, in denen sie auftauchen.
Ich habe angefange, nach diesen Begriffen des Sachregisters zu suchen, um die Textstellen mit den doppelten Wörtern zu finden und manuel oder per search and replace die Doppelwörter halbautomatisch zu korrigieren. Das ist aber wegen der großen Zahl der Begriffe im Sachregister ein Haufen Arbeit. Ich suche deshalb nach einer Lösung für Jutoh und/oder Sigil, mit der man die Fehlerkorrektur größtenteils vereinfachen und beschleunigen kann.
english:
The doubling of words has something to do with the terms of the subject register. There the terms are linked with the passages in which they appear.
I have started looking for these terms of the subject register to find the text passages with the double words and to correct the double words at half -automatically. However, this is a lot of work because of the large number of terms in the subject register. I am therefore looking for a solution for Jutoh and/or Sigil, with which you can largely simplify and accelerate the error correction.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:24 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by untracked View Post
Hello. Sorry, but there is no Jutoh section, so this is where I published my question.

I'm using Jutoh Standard edition to create a children book fixed layout. I have to set odd pages 1,3,5... page type to : spread right page and even pages 2,4,6... to spread left page. Is there a way to select multiple pages and apply to them or set it by default or anything to do it quickly?
Does Jutoh even offer fixed-layout formatting? Seriously, does it? That's a lot of doing, for any software. You need the pixel offsets for every word, etc. ???

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:48 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One acquaintance of mine moved on from Jutoh when they started getting serious about publishing their children's books in fixed layout. Basically, they had to create a fixed layout ePub3 since their workflow of importing from ODT did not work. The other fixed layout import option was importing a CBZ file.

All in all, a total PITA.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2024, 05:42 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One acquaintance of mine moved on from Jutoh when they started getting serious about publishing their children's books in fixed layout. Basically, they had to create a fixed layout ePub3 since their workflow of importing from ODT did not work. The other fixed layout import option was importing a CBZ file.

All in all, a total PITA.
Well, sure. I mean your options are either an export from Pages--dicey at best--or an export from INDD, which is the premium solution for Apple and KoboBooks. That's about it, AFAIK.

That's why I asked when I saw this thread. I have Jutoh 2.something around here, but I typically never use it--been years--the silliness with the styles just always felt like make-work to me.

Hitch
Old 01-16-2024, 06:37 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Other then InDesign, what makes standard ePub 3 fixed layout?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:26 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Whatcha mean, "what" makes it? Do you mean, what makes it fixed-layout, or do you mean, what software makes it, Jon?

Give me a bit of clarity and I'm happy to say what I know, however much--or little--that may be.

Hitch
Old 01-16-2024, 08:47 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you mean which programs can be used to create/edit an ePub3 FLO ebook? May I recommend you to the tender mercies of an Internet search? Work on that google fu, grasshopper!
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:51 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you mean which programs can be used to create/edit an ePub3 FLO ebook? May I recommend you to the tender mercies of an Internet search? Work on that google fu, grasshopper!
To be somewhat fair to Jon, our curmudgeon, in reality, the world of eBook formatting is still a black search hole for the Google-fu. I'm not really 100% sue why that is, but I think it's because there are 90 million ways to "make" or "build" or "code" an eBook, all of which go to different destinations.

mean...once upon a time, there was MobiPocketCreator. Then just making ePUBs by hand, mostly. Then Sigil, Calibre, and then...now you can export ePUBs from LO and from AWP. You can export them (more or less) from INDD. You can...

And Fixed-layout is also its own quasi-bottomless, no-daylight pit. It's device- and vendor-dependent. No two fixed-layout codings for two different devices are the same. The "Apple-tized" Adobe version, from INDD, works for iOS devices and even then, it's "better" on the iPad than the iPhone and I have no idea if it really even works on the mini-Pad.

Oh, and that doesn't even BEGIN to cover all the super-easy, drag-drop, build your "kids book" on our website and sell through "our store" (named... what?) online apps. Those websites like Magic Story Machine, Mixam, Blurb, (to some extent), MyStorybook...shall I go on????

Too many variables, too many what-ifs. Seriously. By the time someone looking for an article has enough knowledge to know what questions to ask...the article writer has run out of oomph.

I'm not kidding. What sort of article--think about it, guys--could give the requisite knowledge to a first-time user/browser around "which programs or apps can make fixed-layout eBooks," without that person, the pursuer of knowledge, knowing about what THIS gang of miscreants knows? Do you think that person will know aspect ratios, offsets, pixel margins, and so on? Hell no.

Something about the world of books and publishing and eBooks. It just is.

Wanna have fun? Try to write, even using AI, a decent "do I need an ISBN, yes, no" Chatbot, around that (simple) topic. There are now so many If/thens in that logic journey that you pretty much cannot do it. e.g., "IF I am publishing in print on KDP, but I'm not on Ingram, but I am going to use an ePUB at Ignram, what do I need for an ISBN," coupled with "Should I use an Amazon free ISBN or not?" and you can choke ChatGPT. Not kidding. I know this because I answer this question nearly every. single. day. I've written not less than five articles around it, on my site, FAQ etc. and you know what? NOBODY ever reads them because, OMG, you have to read more than 5 sentences to know everything. And now, with all these other players on the field with freebie/lent ISBNs; it's a MESS.

That's what FXL eBooks are like, too. /rant.

Hitch
Old 01-17-2024, 12:40 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The only standard and sane fixed layout is PDF, which is for preview or creating paper, though people use it as an electronic reading medium.

Fixed layout and ebook is a contradiction in terms as the whole point of ebooks is not fixed layout, which needs a predetermined page size, but at view time for the user to reflow the content to fit the window or device screen. So fixed layout epub3 work on less platforms than PDF and don't work well or at all on phones or actual ereaders. Often Amazon won't let you download fixed layout/print replica on a real Kindle. They used to not even let you buy it unless you'd registered a Kindle Program for mac or PC.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:18 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The only standard and sane fixed layout is PDF, which is for preview or creating paper, though people use it as an electronic reading medium.

Fixed layout and ebook is a contradiction in terms as the whole point of ebooks is not fixed layout, which needs a predetermined page size, but at view time for the user to reflow the content to fit the window or device screen. So fixed layout epub3 work on less platforms than PDF and don't work well or at all on phones or actual ereaders. Often Amazon won't let you download fixed layout/print replica on a real Kindle. They used to not even let you buy it unless you'd registered a Kindle Program for mac or PC.
Yes, basically, in a nutshell, that's right.

I suspect, with the advent of the newer Kindles that allow annotation by hand and stylus, downloadable ePDFs are in the near future.

hitch
Old 01-20-2024, 06:12 AM   #13
famfam
Connoisseur

I am trying to solve the problem of double words with Sigil:
.* Punkt und Stern in Kombination findet X-beliebig viele Zeichen.
a$ Dieses Zeichen steht für das Ende einer Zeile oder einer Zeichenkette.
\. Das Backslash schützt ein Zeichen vor der Metafunktion. Findet das Zeichen Punkt und nicht ein beliebiges Zeichen wie es die Metafunktion vorsieht.

Search:
<span class="reg-begriff1">.*</span>
Found:
<span class="reg-begriff1">Mobilreadonia</span></span> stationierten <span class="versal"><abbr>SFOR</abbr></span>
delete:
Solution:
How to find only the delete-text?
That means to stop the finding-process after the >
The a$ must do it, but how and in which position?
I could not find it out.
This could be the solution to delete the begriff1 automatically in Sigil.
So I would be very happy, if you could help me, to find the solution?
Old 01-20-2024, 06:15 AM   #14
famfam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by famfam View Post
english:
The doubling of words has something to do with the terms of the subject register. There the terms are linked with the passages in which they appear.
.* Punkt und Stern in Kombination findet X-beliebig viele Zeichen.
a$ Dieses Zeichen steht für das Ende einer Zeile oder einer Zeichenkette.
\. Das Backslash schützt ein Zeichen vor der Metafunktion. Findet das Zeichen Punkt und nicht ein beliebiges Zeichen wie es die Metafunktion vorsieht.

Search:
Found:
<span class="reg-begriff1">Mobilreadonia</span></span> stationierten <span class="versal"><abbr>SFOR</abbr></span>
delete:
Solution:
How to find only the delete-text?
That means to stop the finding-process after the >
The a$ must do it, but how and in which position?
I could not find it out.
This could be the solution to delete the begriff1 automatically in Sigil.
So I would be very happy, if you could help me, to find the solution?
Old 01-20-2024, 01:36 PM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by famfam View Post
In Sigil, the following simple regular expression should find repeated words, if they're separated by one or more spaces:

(*UCP)\b(\p{L}+)\s+\1\b

To replace them with a single word simply use \1 as the replacement expression.

For example, this'll replace:

Code:
eine  eine üble   üble heiße  heiße Soße    Soße.
with

Code:
eine üble heiße Soße.
Obviously, the regular expression will not work if the duplicated word is wrapped in tags. For example:

Code:
eine  <span>eine</span> üble   <span>üble</span> heiße  <span>heiße</span> Soße    Soße.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote