Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
zerozombie72
zerozombie72 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
automating news fetching

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to have Calibre automatically fetch a list of news feeds at a set time? I haven't figured out how to do this, and it means that downloading 3-4 feeds in the morning means there's a certain amount of
time I need to spend hovering around the computer.

PS Thanks for a wonderful bit of software.

PPS Thanks for a previous poster who suggested using the EPUB format for news. I also had the reset problem, and this fixed it. And made the feeds look better on the PRS505.
zerozombie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Depending on your system you may create an automatic task to run it at specific time. On windows I have a task that's running every morning, at 6am.

It calls the "feeds2lrf" for my favorite profiles.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
tshare
tshare began at the beginning.

Device: HP iPaq 4700
automatic refetching existing feeds in library

Can you provide a more detailed example of how to automate refetching sets of news feeds? Wouldn't it be easier to simply have a button in the gui that automatically refetches all feeds in the library?
Thanks,
Timothy
tshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Very simple solution: I created a "GetNews.bat" file, inside the file:

cd C:\Temp\News
feeds2lrf WSJ_S.py
feeds2lrf Nesweek
etc.

Then I added this to the windows task scheduler (on XP under Accessories\Scheduled Tasks). This task runs every morning at 6am, I only need to move files to the reader (I could put files directly on the reader, but usually I don't keep it connected).
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
Manuman
Manuman began at the beginning.

Device: Inves Book 600
I have to excuse myself because I don't have further knowledge in computing even to create a .bat file which should do what I want. And what you're talking about is exactly what I want.

I beg you for even more specific explanation about how write this .bat file. Maybe there is a .exe I can run to automatically fetch my recipes.

Thank you.
Manuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuman View Post
I beg you for even more specific explanation about how write this .bat file. Maybe there is a .exe I can run to automatically fetch my recipes.
You are responding to a very old post. The data here may be accurate but there are other ways now integrated into Calibre. Just click the down arrow next to the fetch news icon and select schedule news download.

For more info on recipes post in the Custom recipes sticky in this forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Manuman
Manuman began at the beginning.

Device: Inves Book 600
OK, thank you. I'm gonna search for most recent post.
Manuman is offline   Reply With Quote