Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Adobe digital query....

Doesn't seem to be an Adobe sub-forum, hope this'll do ........

I don't use any of the Sony software/store etc... with my Sony readers, being a confirmed Calibre and Alf user.
But I do have Adobe which is used occasionally.
I have received a pop-up warning when trying to use it to open a file, which told me my Adobe was ".... authorized without an ID......"

I got a new PC last year, with Windows 8 (hate hate hate), and everything was simply switched over from the old one.
This was the first time I consciously tried to use Adobe to open anything .... if I use my ID to "authorize" it, will this cause any problems ? Or will it just enable the features I obviously haven't needed before !?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You are allowed multiple devices per the Adobe license. So if you have not exhausted the number of devices (I think it is 6) you should be ok. If you have exhausted the number then you can contact Adobe and get them to remove one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
related query. I know my adobe ID & I "think" I know my password, but I can't find anyway to display it in clear ( tried my reader, tried ADE v2 , tried sony reader software... "
so I go to adobe web site & try to login there but it insists that I have to reset my password before I can proceed. because of recent site hacks ???
I don't want to do a password reset as it could mean resetting all my devices & software settings, & then maybe any1/2 read library books will also become problematic ? I suspect the trick of change it then change it back to what it used to be will not work, so I'll be forced to update everywhere & I don'tsee any way to update my password with ADE v2.

so should I go thru the pain of puzzling all that out, or leave everything as it & accept that I can't ever log in to adobe web site ? I wanted the password to set up a sony T2 but the sony reader software has just helpfully auto-authorised it, when I connected it to PC & launched that software; so all my devices are working OK on the old password.

So I'm probably Ok until the time that I change PC, then I'll have to guess what the old password is, I suppose?
unless there is some way that I can find where adobe stashes my password on my pc

Last edited by cybmole; 12-22-2013 at 03:11 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Adobe doesn't stash your password on your PC, that would be terribly insecure.

Just reset your password, it won't require you to reauthorize anything.

Although, IF you are only using ADE for library books, why bother? I just authorize ADE without an ID since I just use it for library ebooks. I will not lose my computer within the 2/3 week loan period, and it works just fine as long as I don't expect to use it on a different computer, which I don't. You can even transfer to devices, without being authorized with an Adobe ID.

The only thing I have EVER gotten out of having that Adobe ID I registered in the impetuousness of youth is spam from when they just got hacked. I never used the multiple-computers thing, because frankly, I never buy books through ADE.

You will only need to be authorized with an Adobe ID if you expect to need access to purchases down the road.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-22-2013 at 03:21 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
so you reckon that once a device or PC has been authorised, then it STAYS authorised even if you change the web site password.

so how does a purchased book check work. If send a purchased book to a new reader, does the reader just do an ID check i.e. checks that is has the same adobe-ID as is embedded in the book somewhere, & then says OK you can read that

Am i right in thinking that you don't ever give your adobe credentials to an e-book store, you just buy the acsm licence file & then it is your PC or device that associates an adobe ID with that purchase , when it opens the acsm & downloads the actual book?.

so you don't need to know your adobe password in order to buy a book, so long as you buy via an already authorised device.

and I could buy , but not open, an acsm file & give it to someone ellse, or vice-verse . it is a "good for one use only" file, and is linked to a specific ID only when 1st opened ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
so you reckon that once a device or PC has been authorised, then it STAYS authorised even if you change the web site password.
I'm fairly certain. It is how many things like this work.

Someone seems to have asked this question at Adobe Help already, here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5749904

I agree with the answerer's logic -- "I think (not sure) that once the authorization has been made to the underlying AdobeID, that authorization remains.
The device doesn't recheck the current password (or even the current email) associated with the AdobeID, and things just go on working."

In any event, that poster confirms "I had to change my Adobe password recently (after the breach in the Adobe security) and didn't change anything on either my Sony device or ADE."
Quote:
so how does a purchased book check work. If send a purchased book to a new reader, does the reader just do an ID check i.e. checks that is has the same adobe-ID as is embedded in the book somewhere, & then says OK you can read that
that would be terribly insecure. A reader that doesn't follow Adobe's rules would just say "I'll let you read it anyway". What it does is encrypt the book with a key that is stored on the device. ADE reads the device, confirms it is authorized with the same Adobe ID and then re-encrypts the book with the devices encryption key.

The device tries to read all books using its encryption key. If the book was sent via ADE, the key will "fit" in the books encryption and the file can be read. Otherwise you have a file full of gibberish which cannot be read.

But that's just the technical mumbo-jumbo. The point is, once a book has been sent, the device can read it until it is deleted (or expires, I suppose). Re-sending it will need to go through the check, but ADE will handle that.
Quote:
Am i right in thinking that you don't ever give your adobe credentials to an e-book store, you just buy the acsm licence file & then it is your PC or device that associates an adobe ID with that purchase , when it opens the acsm & downloads the actual book?.
Absolutely. You got it!
Quote:
so you don't need to know your adobe password in order to buy a book, so long as you buy via an already authorised device.
You just need to open the acsm with software that can verify acsm's, and has been authorized. ADE can do that, as can some readers. I think the Sony reader can. B&N and Kobo will give you their own processed copy, but ou can download the acsm from their website.
Quote:
and I could buy , but not open, an acsm file & give it to someone ellse, or vice-verse . it is a "good for one use only" file, and is linked to a specific ID only when 1st opened ?
Absolutely. You got it!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote