Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #2221
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Can someone tell me what is the latedt FW supported by Koreader. I have an Aura HD. I know 3.15 is supported. Not sure about 3.16? If it would be better to downgrade to an earlier FW plz LMK. I kniw 3.15 had mixed reports.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #2222
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps there could be something I am missing, by not updating the firmware on my AuraHD but mine works fine on FW 3.5.0. But then I don't do any reading with the stock reading software, so all the changes to those made by the FW updates, are of no interest to me.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #2223
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
KSM and Koreader works fine with 3.16 on a Aura HD.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #2224
innerd
innerd began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
guys sorry for my english in first place. i have a kobo touch and i just installed koreader following the guide but im facing some problem. The touch is unresponsive and so slow that pratically i cant use koreader at all and im forced to reboot the kobo most of times. Can you give me an help?
innerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #2225
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerd View Post
guys sorry for my english in first place. i have a kobo touch and i just installed koreader following the guide but im facing some problem. The touch is unresponsive and so slow that pratically i cant use koreader at all and im forced to reboot the kobo most of times. Can you give me an help?
For just Koreader, you can simply copy over the koreader folder from a different download, if the installed version is not working as it should. KSM should not need to be messed with.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 06-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #2226
chipro12
chipro12 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi everyone, for any user of Kobo Aura H2O, can any of you open .cbz file? I recently used Winrar to combine a bunch of .jpg files into a .cbz file and load it onto Kobo. But the KOreader has the error " no reader engine for this file" while trying to open it
Edit: I was able to open the file with CDisplayEx on my computer so I doubt my file was corrupt

Last edited by chipro12; 06-28-2015 at 07:29 PM.
chipro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #2227
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipro12 View Post
Hi everyone, for any user of Kobo Aura H2O, can any of you open .cbz file? I recently used Winrar to combine a bunch of .jpg files into a .cbz file and load it onto Kobo. But the KOreader has the error " no reader engine for this file" while trying to open it
Edit: I was able to open the file with CDisplayEx on my computer so I doubt my file was corrupt
I did the same for my AuraHD and it works. I've also used the "Kindle Comic Converter" with mixed results. But .cbz files do play in Koreader, for me. Did you use "Zip" as the archive format?

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-28-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #2228
chipro12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I did the same for my AuraHD and it works. I've also used the "Kindle Comic Converter" with mixed results. But .cbz files do play in Koreader, for me. Did you use "Zip" as the archive format?

Luck;
Ken
Hi Ken, I did use .cbz as the archive format. I wonder if the size is the problem though since my file is about ~45 MB. It is just that I don't like to use nickel due to its accessibility hardness with folder format, hence Ive been using koreader ever since I installed it. Or can it be due to the fact that my device is H2O and koreader is not running stable with this device?
Old 06-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #2229
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipro12 View Post
Hi Ken, I did use .cbz as the archive format. I wonder if the size is the problem though since my file is about ~45 MB. It is just that I don't like to use nickel due to its accessibility hardness with folder format, hence Ive been using koreader ever since I installed it. Or can it be due to the fact that my device is H2O and koreader is not running stable with this device?
No, I mean when you create the archive file in WinRAR, there is a point where you select whether to use the RAR archive format or the Zip archive format, for your .cbz file.

You could try the "Stable" version or a different nightly build, but I don't know if there are any reported problems related to the H2O, with the recent nightly builds.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-29-2015, 12:57 AM   #2230
chipro12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
No, I mean when you create the archive file in WinRAR, there is a point where you select whether to use the RAR archive format or the Zip archive format, for your .cbz file.

You could try the "Stable" version or a different nightly build, but I don't know if there are any reported problems related to the H2O, with the recent nightly builds.

Luck;
Ken
Sorry for misunderstanding your post and yes, you are right! Changing the archive format from .rar to .zip actually makes the files work under KOreader. Thanks a lot, Ken!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:50 AM   #2231
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you used RAR format you actually had a CBR file; not CBZ
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #2232
kirth
kirth began at the beginning.

Device: Aura HD
Hi,first of all thank you very much for all your effort in making such interesting options available to end users.Really appreciated.
Just installed latest nightly build on my Kobo Aura HD with latest fw.So far everything seems to work fine.
Just an annoying thing: how could I set Koreader FileManager to show bokks titles before authors?I manage my library with Calibre and I have not modified any option.
Here there are a couple of screenshots:
Koreader File Manager
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1435600687834.jpg
Views:	1453
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	139814

Nickel library
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1435600721174.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	139815

Thanks a lot.
Marco

Last edited by kirth; 06-29-2015 at 02:33 PM.
kirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #2233
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirth View Post
Hi,first of all thank you very much for all your effort in making such interesting options available to end users.Really appreciated.
Just installed latest nightly build on my Kobo Aura HD with latest fw.So far everything seems to work fine.
Just an annoying thing: how could I set Koreader FileManager to show bokks titles before authors?I manage my library with Calibre and I have not modified any option.
Here there are a couple of screenshots:
Koreader File Manager
Attachment 139814

Nickel library
Attachment 139815

Thanks a lot.
Marco
The file structure that calibre creates on your device has Author Folders with the book files, for that author. So, if using the caliber generated file structure, when you browse you have to start by picking an author. Calibre is very adaptable and you may be able to change how it builds the file structure on your device. You might want to take that up in the calibre forums.

There are some advantages to using the calibre generated, for Koreader in that Koreader has a function to search the metadata file that caliber maintains with the file structure it creates. I prefer my own file structure, but I still use calibre on my PC. I even often use calibre's content server to add new books to folders on my device.

You can make your own file structure, of course, mine has category folders like: Action, Mystery, SciFi, Fantasy, History, PolyTicks, Humor, ect...; inside those are the book files. The files are naturally in alphanumeric order with the files named by Author, series, title.

You can make any file structure that the FAT32 file system will accept.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #2234
invention13
invention13 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h20
a couple of koreader/kobo questions

I have a kobo h2o and am interested in using koreader - primarily because as much as I like the reader, I hate reading pdf's on it.

A couple of questions:

If I install koreader, is there anything which a factory reset won't fix (ie, no risk of bricking the reader) if there are bugs in koreader?

I tried building it last night on my laptop (ubuntu 14.04) and all went well until close to the end, I got a 'can't find valid zlib' error. Has anyone else encountered this? I downloaded, built and installed zlib, but I still get the complaint.
invention13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #2235
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by invention13 View Post
I have a kobo h2o and am interested in using koreader - primarily because as much as I like the reader, I hate reading pdf's on it.

A couple of questions:

If I install koreader, is there anything which a factory reset won't fix (ie, no risk of bricking the reader) if there are bugs in koreader?

I tried building it last night on my laptop (ubuntu 14.04) and all went well until close to the end, I got a 'can't find valid zlib' error. Has anyone else encountered this? I downloaded, built and installed zlib, but I still get the complaint.
Are you building the working environment to contribute to the project?

To use Koreader on your H20 you need to just install a launcher and the Koreader folder, on the H2O itself. There is no need to build anything on your PC, Windows or Linux. A guide.

You will need for your Linux PC to be set to see "hidden" folders like the ".kobo" folder, into which the update file is placed.

Theoretically, any code could become damaged and effect the OS, but it would be very odd to happen to Koreader. It would be even less likely than for the stock software.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-30-2015 at 07:06 PM.