Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2024, 06:22 AM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Going that deep, I believe the black level difference stem from the fact that on OLED screen you can only see reflections from the surface, whilst on LCD you can see reflections from the surface, plus reflections from the bottom of the LCD coming back through the inner layers.
No. it's the backlight leaking if too high. The polarisers are not perfect. A normal LCD or QLED screen is fully illuminated behind the "black" pixels. It's mitigated (as are any internal reflections) if the matt top layer also has a grey tint. This also increases contrast and was done even 70 years ago on some TV sets. Reflections are attenuated twice and the display light (CRT, Plasma, EL, LCD, OLED, LED, VFD, QLED etc) is attenuated once. The trick of a tint to the top layer can't be done on eink or mirasol or any kind of reflective display technology (including simple LCDs with a mirror and no backlight).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:37 AM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My subjective observation was, however, that glossy OLED wins against glossy LCD in terms of reflections (thus comfort of use).
True for really rubbish LCDs. There are though LCD and OLED panels with plain polished glossy glass hard to tell apart.
OLED (and eink) wins on viewing angle. Twenty years ago the LCD maximum viewing angle was poor. A simplified explanation is parallax error as the coloured filter is at an angle to edge of neighbouring pixel. But also the polarisers had a limited viewing angle. The IPS panels were* a huge improvement. Panasonic, LG and Samsung have now more advanced panels than IPS. These more advanced panels (and Panasonic QLED which are LCD) have viewing angles nearly equal to eink and OLED. Most LCD phones, tablets and screens are using more than 15 year old LCD technology.

Move your head side to side and up and down at TV or monitor. Good LCD are as black as OLED in normal ambient light and will not shift in colour or contrast. If it's aphone to tablet tilt it. Poor ones will fail badly.

Obviously TCL on the Nxtpaper 11 isn't just using a matt tinted top layer but state of the art IPS because the viewing angle limits are fantastic.

EDIT
[* The Wikipedia IPS article is inaccurate and outdated. Also the date a technology existed is often unrelated to date the panels are in real products, the discrepancy is 1 to 5 years!]

Last edited by Quoth; 03-26-2024 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:36 PM   #63
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Just received my NXTPAPER. The screen finish is fantastic. I was looking around for a glass protector with that matt finish all the time, but no luck

So far I love the screen in dark mode, white text on black background. It's hard to tell that the text is actually emitting any light. In light mode the light is also quite pleasant, somewhat like e-ink with front light on.

I might write something more about it after a few days, if anyone is interested, but from the first touch I know I'm going to keep it!
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:02 PM   #64
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
@plusz

@Quoth

Guys,

what exact model is this tablet? Do you guys have a reference numer in the box please?
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:46 PM   #65
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Just received my NXTPAPER. The screen finish is fantastic. I was looking around for a glass protector with that matt finish all the time, but no luck
Amazon has a seller selling stupid shiny glass protectors for it. Totally spoil the point of it.

Just don't scratch it! The TCL T-Pen needs almost no pressure, nor does your finger. Enable PC and Handwriting on the GBoard app instead of QWERTY.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:54 PM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
what exact model is this tablet? Do you guys have a reference numer in the box please?
The box and Amazon and TCL's own web site calls it a TCL NXTPAPER11

The official "model" in the Android system settings is 9466X

Google's Playstore refers to it as a TCL 9466X, and sometimes Google calls it a TCL TAB 11

CPU is a Media Tek Helio P60T
Old 03-26-2024, 03:02 PM   #67
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
So far I love the screen in dark mode, white text on black background. It's hard to tell that the text is actually emitting any light. In light mode the light is also quite pleasant, somewhat like e-ink with front light on
It's far better in Light mode. The trick is to turn off ALL reading enhancements, set manual brightness (and about 12% to 26% indoors, make white be just slightly dimmer than laser pinter/copier paper.
Set colour mode to sRGB and custom White Balance, nearly centre the control in the colour wheel because the colour temperature setting tints bright greys but doesn't affect white.

If the brightness is just enough then it looks very like eink. Except eink is reflecting so the white balance always is identical to ambient. Unfortunately the white balance software is flawed on the Nxtpaper 11, so neutral is best. That will look warm in some ambient conditions and by tungsten ambient or very warm colour temperature LED it will look cool.

Finding Dark mode better suggest the brightness is too high. Also black text on white paper (or dirty colour of PDF scan) is sharper on a colour display than white text on black.

Also "Dark" mode is only going to work properly with pure text. No use for scanned PDFs or Video etc.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-26-2024 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:15 PM   #68
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
The dark vs light mode is more of a preference. I switched to dark mode everywhere, laptop, phone, quite a while ago. I've also tried to switch to dark mode on Onyx Max but it didn't feel good on e-ink. Light mode is also nice on the nxtpaper, but I'm quite pleased with awesome dark mode experience. I can't see any light leaks on this display so it's really good.

Regarding scratches, don't worry. It must be a real glass. I've tried to scratch the surface with a fingernail, tried really hard, of course outside the usable screen area as the glass covers also the bezel, no slight trace of any scratch.

Regarding the model number, it's TCL NXTPAPER 11. If you're interested in so called batch number, I can take a look in settings and on the package for any codes, maybe one of them would correspond to the batch.

EDIT:
On the box I only found SN, and:

TCL NXTPAPER 11 (9466X)
DARK GREY
9466X4-2CLCW11
4GB+128GB

Last edited by plusz; 03-26-2024 at 04:53 PM.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:39 AM   #69
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
[TCL NxtPaper 11]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Amazon has a seller selling stupid shiny glass protectors for it. Totally spoil the point of it.
How about something like this?

brotect 2-Pack Screen Protector Anti-Glare for TCL NxtPaper 11 Screen Protector Matte, Anti-Fingerprint Protection Film

£12.29

https://www.amazon.co.uk/brotect-Ant.../dp/B0C8K7YWKZ

Also available from Amazon Germany for about €14.50, if that's where you normally buy from.

I haven't tried these, so I can't say how they are (and I don't have a NxtPaper 11).
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:55 AM   #70
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
How about something like this?

brotect 2-Pack Screen Protector Anti-Glare for TCL NxtPaper 11 Screen Protector Matte, Anti-Fingerprint Protection Film
Waste of money and will degrade view. It's only worth getting a tinted truly matt screen layer for a shiny screen.

Keeping the tablet in the TCL cover (which does sleep/wake) is better.

Edit
Using mobile phones since Analogue mobile and I've never scratched a phone screen. Tablets since about 2006 (that one had a 160 G byte HDD!) and never scratched one.
Eink since 2013. One slight scratch on one model (almost all eink are plastic top layer to more cheaply do matt than with glass). I've broken one eink. A protector or cover whoud not have saved it

Last edited by Quoth; 03-27-2024 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Experience
Old 03-27-2024, 06:01 AM   #71
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
The dark vs light mode is more of a preference.
Yes, it is.* In modern times driven by power saving on OLED (up to 70%) and then by people having screen too bright. You can have the screen much brighter in dark mode.

Before 1990s almost everything on the desktop was darkmode. Terminals, CP/M, DOS, UNIX, school blackboards.

Then we got WIMP GUIs and Whiteboards.

[* Like Sans or Serif for body fonts people are happiest with what they have got used to.]
Old 03-27-2024, 01:05 PM   #72
Flaviocc
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The box and Amazon and TCL's own web site calls it a TCL NXTPAPER11

The official "model" in the Android system settings is 9466X

Google's Playstore refers to it as a TCL 9466X, and sometimes Google calls it a TCL TAB 11

CPU is a Media Tek Helio P60T
Thank you so much.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:06 PM   #73
Flaviocc
Zealot

Quote:

EDIT:
On the box I only found SN, and:

TCL NXTPAPER 11 (9466X)
DARK GREY
9466X4-2CLCW11
4GB+128GB
Tks ))
Old 03-27-2024, 09:33 PM   #74
JohnCheese
JohnCheese began at the beginning.

Device: NXTPAPER 11
Just got my nxtpaper 11 back from repair. Apparently the screen is called “2X, Chinese art paper”?https://ibb.co/rMj3YsR

Also I can’t get the case for it in the usa! Seems like they never released the case in the USA and phone support had no idea what I was talking about. Anyone willing to import me one? I would pay all fees and such.

Last edited by JohnCheese; 03-27-2024 at 09:38 PM.
JohnCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:44 AM   #75
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Amazon de seller won't ship to USA?
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0CS3MF8Q6/

I bought two from that page, yet today it claims they don't ship to Ireland! How odd.