Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-19-2024, 04:32 AM   #16
nem_mil
nem_mil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Boox Note, Onyx Boox Nova Air
Well, with Koreader functioning well on Pocketbook, I think I have made my decision.

I use Koreader on my larger Onyx Boox and it is better than default apps both on Onyx and Kobo (with the added advantage that hyphenation works great with Koreader in different languages).

I went to the department store again and compared the devices side by side (they had Basic Lux, Verse, Verse Pro, and Era on the display) and I am really impressed with Verse Pro. Its e-ink is much darker compared to other devices and the dark mode looks impressive! I am surprised with how good it looks and can't wait to get it.

Also, I found a thread on Reddit with photos of Verse Pro and Kobo Clara side by side, and what I saw confirmed my suspicion about the reflection of light on the top layer of the Kobo screen. Here is one where the difference is the most obvious:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=htt...8f2135674b3cad
nem_mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 03:40 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nem_mil View Post
I wonder if anybody else finds this to be the case? Also, I am curious to know what are considered to be the advantages of Pocketbook over their largest competitors? Thanks!
For me, the main draw is the built-in ADE. I can download an acsm file directly to my PocketBook (via the its built-in web browser, slow) or use the Send to PocketBook feature to send the acsm file and the PocketBook reader will download the DRM ePub for me. This was nice because I use Linux computers and there's no native ADE application available (and I've never been able to get ADE to work in Wine).

I also like the long battery life and buttons.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 03:50 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for posting this link. I've read that the Verse Pro didn't have a good screen but this looks very good. I'm happy to see that as I thought the Verse Pro might be a step down from my Touch HD 3. Also, I think I'll update my HD 3 so I can use the reversed screen. It looks clear and sharp.

This is the first time I've actually seen a good picture of the Verse Pro's screen.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:55 AM   #19
nem_mil

It is really sharp; the photo does justice to what I saw in person.

Kobo has a quite good dark mode, but Verse Pro is in my estimate a step above that.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:43 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
For me, the main draw is the built-in ADE. I can download an acsm file directly to my PocketBook (via the its built-in web browser, slow) or use the Send to PocketBook feature to send the acsm file and the PocketBook reader will download the DRM ePub for me. This was nice because I use Linux computers and there's no native ADE application available (and I've never been able to get ADE to work in Wine).

I also like the long battery life and buttons.
There is the calibre plugin DeACSM tgat will work with Linux. And with DeDRM, you have a one stop shop.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:35 AM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is the calibre plugin DeACSM tgat will work with Linux. And with DeDRM, you have a one stop shop.
I use that now (since DeASCM first came out) but when I bought my PocketBooks DeACSM didn't exist. I also use the PocketBook's built-in ADE for library books or books I buy online when I directly download them to the PocketBooks.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:34 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It the Inkpad 4 a good Reader?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:58 AM   #23
nem_mil

So, I finally got the Verse Pro, and here are my impressions after some initial use.

The reading experience is really excellent! I have never seen an e-ink reader that gets so close to feeling like real paper; I have to give it to Pocketbook for such an upgrade. It is easy on the eyes and so comfortable for long readings. The screen's surface feels on the touch more like rubber than other models which give me the impression of a plastic/glass surface.

The default app is extremely slow and cumbersome; it does not even give you the option to justify the text and it often freezes for no reason. However, Koreader works so much better: it does not lag at all, is very responsive, and renders the text well. The level of customization it allows is unmatched when compared to the default apps of the e-readers that I've had a chance to try.

However, there is one area where I would give a clear advantage to Kobo: the uniformity of the front light. While on Libra 2 the whole surface of the screen is equally lit, on Verse Pro it's obvious that the light comes from the top.

But overall, I find Verse Pro to be a much superior reader, so it will be my default reading device from now on. I also have to add that the page-turn buttons and the build quality are great as well.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:31 PM   #24
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Question

Quote:
The default app is extremely slow and cumbersome; it does not even give you the option to justify the text and it often freezes for no reason. However, Koreader works so much better: it does not lag at all, is very responsive, and renders the text well.
Interesting. In my exprience, the builtin app was working as fast (if not faster) as KOReader on Inkpad Color and Inkpad Color 3 devices.

Do you speak about reading experience or about library UI as well? The library is really slow unlike the reader itself.

Do you have the latest firmware installed? I know Pocketbook did a bunch of improvements in the recent versions, but your device should be already fresh enough.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:24 PM   #25
nem_mil

Mmm.. well, in my case it's all exactly the opposite. The library UI is fine and very responsive. The default reading app takes time to do any action, and there sometimes appears a rotating hourglass that stays for quite a while and does not allow you to go one reading. For instance, if I click on an endnote number that brings me to another page and I then click to go back to the original page, the app freezes completely.

Koreader is, on the contrary, very smooth; I haven't had any issues with it so far. You would think that one is the default one.

Regarding the update, I did check when I bought it for a new version, but it turned out that it is up to date.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:34 PM   #26
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Maybe it depends on the file you're reading? KOreader is usually more forgiving to the file format problems, unlike the built-in one.

One trick I noticed: if you want to use the built-in app, make sure to set your settings to shutdown the reader at least daily (e.g. after 8 hours of inactivity). Otherwise, it's getting more and more buggy and starting to crash.

KOreader doesn't have this problem.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:00 PM   #27
VulcanRidr
VulcanRidr began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era Stardust Silver
Quote:
I wonder if anybody else finds this to be the case? Also, I am curious to know what are considered to be the advantages of Pocketbook over their largest competitors? Thanks!
I have had my Era for almost a year and a half, and I am completely happy with it. It is my first e-paper reader, I used to read on my Nokia N900, but my eyes aren't getting any younger.

So some of the features that appealed to me are:
  • Does not have an "ecosystem". Kindle forces you to use amazon's proprietary DRMed format. Even kobo only allows you to listen to kobo-branded audiobooks. I have hundreds of un-DRMed epubs, and a good number of mp3 based audiobooks.
  • The pocketbook has a decent text-to-speech, so even if I am doing something like meal prep, I can listen to books , even if I am not reading them.
  • Battery life is decent, a couple of weeks if reading only, a could of days if listening text-to-speech.

The only downside for me is that I was trying to buy a QI wireless charging case off amazon, and after a month past due, they canceled it. Supply chain problems...

Overall, I am very pleased with the Pocketbook. I have koreader on it, but am still figuring it out.
VulcanRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:26 AM   #28
nem_mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalinovsky View Post
Maybe it depends on the file you're reading? KOreader is usually more forgiving to the file format problems, unlike the built-in one.

One trick I noticed: if you want to use the built-in app, make sure to set your settings to shutdown the reader at least daily (e.g. after 8 hours of inactivity). Otherwise, it's getting more and more buggy and starting to crash.

KOreader doesn't have this problem.
I finally got around to the built-in app, as I noticed that it renders the fonts better and, therefore, results in a better reading experience. I played with some medium and semi-bold versions of fonts to get to the solution to the weight problem and decided to settle on Bitter Pro bold as a default. It looks really good and, while it adds width, it does not appear overly bulky like a typical bold font.

Also, the app restarts daily since the device turns off automatically after 2 hours of inactivity. I think that indeed makes it a bit more responsive.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:40 PM   #29
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Personally, I have nothing against Kindle from Amazon, even though I usually jailbreak the device.

However, Pocketbook has a few shortcomings for me :

1) The Pocketbook uses the same hardware for the base of the $300 readers as it does for the $99 readers. As in the case of the prehistoric Alwinner B288 CPU, which has significant limitations in the Kernel version.
As in the case of the Inkpad 4, which has the same hardware as the significantly cheaper Touch HD book readers.

2) Everything is horibly optimized for the fact that it is the year 2024, I see basically no progress.
Why pay for a Pocketbook when the overwhelming majority of users immediately install Koreader,because by default PBreader lacks basic settings such as font weight, text alignment, I don't know how the last dictionaries are, but French is pretty poor..

3) Even though the new models have an E-INK-1200 screen, many users complain about faded contrast and overall sharpness of fonts.

All in all, if it wasn't possible to install Koreader on a Pocketbook, I don't think many users would buy it, because the default PB applications are appallingly slow, like using notes, which are completely unusable, at least in my case. Inaccurate, slow, sometimes the app crashes completely.

The file explorer offers a lot of settings and refinements, but I personally don't like the way it is displayed.
I think it is made for scrolling (which is not the wisest choice with E-INK, the font choice in PBreader is also scroll ) and the ratio of book covers is such that part of the cover is always missing, at the top or bottom.
I prefer a GRID style display as done by competing manufacturers.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 03-28-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:36 PM   #30
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
at your department store, are the devices cheaper?
does the amazon pocket books ever go on sell?
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote