Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2024, 04:02 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And you don't keep a record of any settings you have modified as a backup?

When I moved to my new computer last year, I decided that if I hadn't used a program in 6 months, it was not re-installed. For calibre rather than doing an export/import. I went through my notes, used the settings I had recorded, installed the plugins that I currently use, copied my libraries to an external hard drive and imported them into calibre. This took me about an hour and went without issue. Much the same for the other programs I decided to install. I considered this as a chance to get rid of the crud that had been accumulating with programs that I installed and no longer use.

And yes, I realize that it's probably a small number of people who have my habit of documenting almost everything I do on the computer. I learned my lessons about documentation decades ago and they have stuck with me.
That is a really good idea to document your settings.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:13 AM   #77
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
It was merely additional supporting observations on why a prosecutor might not go after Epubdor.
A prosecutor will essentially never "go after" anyone for criminal copyright infringement until it has been proven that they have infringed copyright in a civil case.

And, unlike some other crimes, a criminal copyright infringement cannot even be started without a complainant. In other words, if someone beats you up, the police don't have to have you "press charges". The police would prefer that you do, but it's not required. For copyright, though, if the copyright holder does not complain, then it isn't criminal.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2024, 11:16 AM   #78
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You did not include
2.a Install KFX Input plugin in your list.
Because it's not required to remove DRM.

All files not natively supported by Calibre require a file input plugin, and you must install it to allow Calibre to import them, and is explained in Calibre's documentation.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:21 AM   #79
nabsltd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just did a search and I did not find the link to the current DeDRM Git.
The first hit for NoDRM on Google is the git repository.

If you search for "DeDRM", you might have issues, but my instructions never mention that term, because it won't get you what you need.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:42 PM   #80
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
  • Download book from Amazon in some way (Kindle for PC, Download and Transfer via USB, etc.)
  • Import downloaded file into Calibre
Quote:
You did not include
2.a Install KFX Input plugin in your list.
Quote:
Because it's not required to remove DRM.

All files not natively supported by Calibre require a file input plugin, and you must install it to allow Calibre to import them, and is explained in Calibre's documentation.
If you use a current Kindle4PC or Kindle4Mac to download your books which is required for books published after 2023-Jan-02, they will be downloaded in KFX format where older K4PC/Mac versions would have downloaded azw3/KF8 or Mobi. Without the KFX Input plugin, those files will be useless collections of electrons.

While there are file input plugins for Microsoft's .DOC format and Kobo Kepub ePub format variant, since you only mentioned Amazon in your original post and calibre out of the box supports KF8/azw3 and mobi, KFX is the only format that most people are going to run into following your work flow. To me, it made sense to include it in the install procedure.

Not even sure if I would include the Kepub plugin as an input plugin since basically all it does is to remove the extra spans which are do nothings for anyone not using the Kobo Webkit based renderer and the DRM scheme used by Kobo is not supported within the DeDRM plugin though the .zip file download does include the Obok plugin for Kobo ebooks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2024, 02:55 PM   #81
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
The first hit for NoDRM on Google is the git repository.

If you search for "DeDRM", you might have issues, but my instructions never mention that term, because it won't get you what you need.
The plugin's been known for years as DeDRM. Unless they're specifically seeing your instructions, they likely wouldn't think to search for NoDRM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:28 PM   #82
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Certainly on DuckDuckGo the 1st hit for DeDRM is ancient version and the 1st hit for noDRM is the current git place.

But DRM Removal as a search finds loads of irrelevant stuff and STILL returns Alf / Apprentice Harper, but lower down the search.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-28-2024 at 03:43 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:59 PM   #83
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Typing "remove drm" into Google gets perfectly relevant hits right at the top for me. I can't imagine a noob that would be be typing anything like DeDRM or NoDRM into a search engine. The only people who know those terms already know where to go.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:00 PM   #84
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I type in "remove DRM", the second result is a certain code-stealing commercial product. The first is a MakeUseOf article that links to the outdated DeDRM.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:39 PM   #85
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What I find a bit humorous is that when I typed calibre remove drm, the first hit is from Reddit mention DeDRM 10.0.2 while the second is from Epubor which gives decent instructions for installing the calibre DeDRM 10.0.9 plugin.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:57 PM   #86
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
When I type in "remove DRM", the second result is a certain code-stealing commercial product. The first is a MakeUseOf article that links to the outdated DeDRM.
Yes. Which should easily lead a motivated searcher to the next step toward what they need. I'm not certain why people think their searches very first results needs to take them directly to the promised land. Learning to remove drm is not a one-search-read-a-paragraph-or-two affair. It never has been.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:02 PM   #87
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I can't imagine a noob that would be be typing anything like DeDRM or NoDRM into a search engine. The only people who know those terms already know where to go.
When I was first learning about DRM, I was reading in this forum. I saw the term DeDRM mentioned a lot. I didn't know about the software that was specifically referring to, but I had a pretty good idea of what "DeDRM" meant. So I indeed typed that exact term into Google (back then, NoDRM had not been born yet).

If a new person comes to these forums and starts to read the mega-thread on this topic, they're going to run into the term "DeDRM" much more frequently than "NoDRM" for the first 5000 pages or so (although the first post in the thread was edited by a mod and mentions NoDRM - that was a thoughtful move). The first time I ran into the term NoDRM, I thought it was a typo. The second time, I thought it was a competing tool, and I am more prone to continue using the original when a competitor pops up. Eventually I figured out that NoDRM was a replacement, not a competitor. This is probably first stated explicitly on page 5001 of the thread.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:36 PM   #88
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Eventually I figured out that NoDRM was a replacement, not a competitor. This is probably first stated explicitly on page 5001 of the thread.
To make things even more confusing, NoDRM isn't actually the name of the tool. It's the handle of the developer. To clarify things, I tend to phrase it as "NoDRM's fork of DeDRM," which gets the first google result (and a funny "did you mean"):

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-03-29 00_37_31-Window.png
Views:	55
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	207224

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-28-2024 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:03 AM   #89
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Typing "remove drm" into Google gets perfectly relevant hits right at the top for me. I can't imagine a noob that would be be typing anything like DeDRM or NoDRM into a search engine. The only people who know those terms already know where to go.
Google thinks you want a bookmark service. The results vary by person and by what you havc been to.

But I agree that "remove drm" or "drm removal" are far more likely searches than nodrm or dedrm.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:17 AM   #90
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If a new person comes to these forums and starts to read the mega-thread on this topic...
Why would a new person come to these forums first for drm removal instructions?