Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #211
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Like others, I love the specifications of this reader. It's tempting, but it loses out to the Amazon ecosystem for me. And my experience with the bugs my Kobo Wi-Fi reader had make me loath to give Kobo another try. No hyperlink support, crashes, and other issues ultimately led me to sell off that reader at a loss. Once burned, twice shy
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #212
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
You might want to look at the video reviews before you assume that it *will* be slower. From what I've seen and what the reviewers are saying, the page turn is snappier.
Indeed. You can't just say "more pixels, same CPU, slower!!!". There is more to it; the render time is but a fraction of the total time to display a page. There are many optimizations that could be done to make things faster, with the same hardware, even though you have to drive more pixels.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #213
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
... No hyperlink support...
Really? I can't say I've noticed any problems with hyperlinks on my KoboGlo. I didn't own any of the earlier models, though.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #214
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
As of yesterday the Espresso cases were not available yet.
The espresso cases were available on the first day for pre-ordering (16th). The pre-order stock apparently sold out.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #215
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Supports browser and doenloads?

Looks fantastic!

Do Kobo products have a browser built in and is it possible to download books with it (e.g. from a personal catalog)?
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #216
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquele View Post
Looks fantastic!

Do Kobo products have a browser built in and is it possible to download books with it (e.g. from a personal catalog)?
Yes and yes.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #217
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
Like others, I love the specifications of this reader. It's tempting, but it loses out to the Amazon ecosystem for me. And my experience with the bugs my Kobo Wi-Fi reader had make me loath to give Kobo another try. No hyperlink support, crashes, and other issues ultimately led me to sell off that reader at a loss. Once burned, twice shy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Really? I can't say I've noticed any problems with hyperlinks on my KoboGlo. I didn't own any of the earlier models, though.
On the early devices/firmware you couldn't use hyperlinks (heck on the original Kobo Original firmware it didn't even show pictures or maps - of course it was literally 1/2 the price of anything else on the market).
@Sregener - I can understand your hesitation, but the newer firmware are a whole different beast (and much better) than what you were likely using back then.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #218
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Ordered mine

I just went ahead and ordered mine. I've been wanting a Glo since they came out but have been restraining myself. Had a near miss accident with my iPad that almost resulting in needing a new one. Fortunately I fixed the iPad, so I'm going for the Aura. Looks like the Glo but better. I am a good Kobo customer and hoping they make it and don't get eliminated by evil Amazon. Have to say that Kobo is my favorite iPad reader app. I do like the badges.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #219
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
At that rate, there won't be any Aura HD left for the European-non-British market
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #220
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Battery life really depends on how people use it--things like if WiFi is always on, if the light is always used when reading. I expect the page turning to be faster. They are talking about a different technology for it, and it is not like more than 1 GHz is required for that. I know that in the past, speed for that kind of thing has improved greatly as the developers continued to work on it. It has not been a hardware issue for a very long time.

The Aura is about an inch wider and two inches taller. I ordered one and will report back on how it feels in my small hands. I did not get a cover. if that oddly shaped back is supposed to make holding it a better experience, then I didn't see the point in going for a flat backed cover. Besides, they are saying that the screen is much more durable than previous models and I don't expect to take it out of my house, except when it goes away on holidays with me.

i will not be buying this.

you know why?

BECAUSE IT DOES NOT NOT NOT HAVE FOLDER SUPPORT AND I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MY LIFE USING THAT LABORIOUS AND TEDIOUS STUPID BOOKSHELF SYSTEM.

YOU LISTENING KOBO?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #221
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
i will not be buying this.

you know why?

BECAUSE IT DOES NOT NOT NOT HAVE FOLDER SUPPORT AND I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MY LIFE USING THAT LABORIOUS AND TEDIOUS STUPID BOOKSHELF SYSTEM.

YOU LISTENING KOBO?
I was considering this device but I only manage my ebooks using folders and manually copying/pasting files. Can you elaborate on your statement above? I must admit that if I can't manage my ebook files using a file explorer I have zero interest in the device.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #222
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I was firm in my refusal to resist the shiny. I already feel guilty for abandoning my perfectly working Kobo Touch for the Kobo Glo ... but then DH reminded me that I still have Kobo gift certificates. It didn't help my resolve when my two sisters jumped on the pre-order bandwagon (one has been a Sony user for years, but she's been frustrated with her T1 for some time now) and, well, I realized I was just kidding myself. Seeing the Good e-Reader video comparing it to the Glo - whiter light, faster processing - has only convinced me that I *have* to have the Aura. Fortunately, the Glo was the only eReader DH didn't buy when I did, so I can give him mine when my Aura arrives.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #223
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

YOU LISTENING KOBO?
Yelling, really? You're blocked now.

As for me, this is really making me want another reader. But I just bought a Nook STR several months ago, so I don't need a new reader. But I want one!

Last edited by Ravensknight; 04-18-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #224
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I'm about to pull the trigger on this, but I need to confirm something.

In the GoodEReader review, they say you can't change margins and line spacing on side-loaded content. Is this true for Kobo readers, or is it only for content with certain kinds of DRM? I've never had an issue with changing line spacing and margins on my basic Kindle for side-loaded content.

Also, is Mobi support good? I'd like to be able to click and drag my Mobi files from my Kindle over to the Kobo instead of having to resyncing everything in Calibre.

Thanks, and sorry if these are very noobish questions.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #225
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
In the GoodEReader review, they say you can't change margins and line spacing on side-loaded content. Is this true for Kobo readers, or is it only for content with certain kinds of DRM? I've never had an issue with changing line spacing and margins on my basic Kindle for side-loaded content.
No one will know for sure about the Aura until someone actually has one, but I have a Kobo Glo and all my epubs allow changing of font, margins, line-height etc. However, some of them need to have their internal css tweaked to work correctly (which also means you need to remove any DRM first). If you need it you should be able to get help with css tweaking from these forums. Every epub is different so there isn't really a one-size-fits-all method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
Also, is Mobi support good? I'd like to be able to click and drag my Mobi files from my Kindle over to the Kobo instead of having to resyncing everything in Calibre.
I believe it is not good. I don't read mobis myself. Hopefully someone who's tried it can elaborate for you. It's probably safe to say that only an Amazon device is guaranteed to read all mobi/kf8 books 'properly', i.e. without losing internal styling.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote