Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-03-2024, 12:11 PM   #31
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that we cannot come up with the best way to handle widows and orphans for eBooks, I go with values of 1 so we don't have them. You don't have them, they cannot bother anyone who does not like them and I think most others would not notice.
A value of 1 means that you will have widows and orphans. Higher values are used to prevent them. Use the correct terminology to avoid confusion.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:53 PM   #32
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
A value of 1 means that you will have widows and orphans. Higher values are used to prevent them. Use the correct terminology to avoid confusion.
In fact, this time JSWolf had right A value of 1 means no widows and orphans (that is, the feature is disabled); a value of 0 is not allowed under epub3.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:12 PM   #33
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
A value of 1 means no widows and orphans (that is, the feature is disabled); a value of 0 is not allowed under epub3.
If the feature is disabled, you will still get widows and orphans.
With the feature disabled, they can be of any size.
With the feature enabled, they are limited to the size(s) specified.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:18 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A value of 1 means it's not going to move any lines/paragraphs from one screen/page to another. Does that not mean it's not doing anything so it's off?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:12 PM   #35
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A value of 1 means it's not going to move any lines/paragraphs from one screen/page to another. Does that not mean it's not doing anything so it's off?
I'm not here to train your chatbot for you, but it doesn't seem to understand what widows/orphans are.

Assume the feature is turned off.
Assume a "page" that fits exactly on a screen.
Assume you now increase the font size.

Do you really think that no lines or paragraphs are going to move onto the following screen?

No, what happens is that a widow is created on the next page.

The widows and orphans settings allow you to specify the limits for the widows and orphans. Disabling the setting simply means you have no control over the W&O's. (Or no way to suggest your preferences, if you want to put it another way).
Old 04-03-2024, 05:43 PM   #36
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=jmurphy;4411555]If the feature is disabled, you will still get widows and orphans.
With the feature enabled, they are limited to the size(s) specified.[

Since a value of 0 is not allowed and you dont want widows or orphans, then you must employ a value higher than 1. With a value of 1 YOU WILL HAVE WIDOWS AND ORPHANS, then the feature is disabled. A value higher than 1 (the default is 2) means you ARE CONTROLLING widows and orphans, it means you dont want a isolated line at the end or beginning of a page, then you have enabled the feature.
If that answer is not enough for you, then tell me, what value the feature is disabled with? How to disabled the feature? Take into account that a value of 0 is not allowed.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:43 PM   #37
jmurphy
Connoisseur

[QUOTE=RbnJrg;4411605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
With the feature enabled, they are limited to the size(s) specified.[

Since a value of 0 is not allowed and you dont want widows or orphans, then you must employ a value higher than 1. With a value of 1 YOU WILL HAVE WIDOWS AND ORPHANS, then the feature is disabled. A value higher than 1 (the default is 2) means you ARE CONTROLLING widows and orphans, it means you dont want a isolated line at the end or beginning of a page, then you have enabled the feature.
If that answer is not enough for you, then tell me, what value the feature is disabled with? How to disabled the feature? Take into account that a value of 0 is not allowed.
I was responding to JSWolf.
But: Yes, I know that with a value of 1, you will have W&Os. That's EXACTLY what I said. With a value higher than 1, you are controlling the W&Os. Yes, that's exactly what I said.

"Disabled" ("1") means you are not controlling the W&Os.
Any other legal value means you are trying to control the W&Os.
Which is what I said. So, what's your problem? Where do you disagree with me and why so strongly?

I really don't understand your issue, and at any rate, I was correcting the chatbot that is JSWolf.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:58 PM   #38
RbnJrg
Wizard

[QUOTE=jmurphy;4411616]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post

I was responding to JSWolf.
But: Yes, I know that with a value of 1, you will have W&Os. That's EXACTLY what I said. With a value higher than 1, you are controlling the W&Os. Yes, that's exactly what I said.

"Disabled" ("1") means you are not controlling the W&Os.
Any other legal value means you are trying to control the W&Os.
Which is what I said. So, what's your problem? Where do you disagree with me and why so strongly?

I really don't understand your issue, and at any rate, I was correcting the chatbot that is JSWolf.
I answered what you said about what I said; it seems you forgot that also you wrote about my post:

Quote:
With the feature enabled, they are limited to the size(s) specified.
In that post of mine I had said that a value of 1 means what I already explained. I don't disagree "strongly" with you, just I explained better what I said in my post, the post you answered. Remember, you dont only answered to JSWolf but also answered to me; so I answered to your answer. Is it clear?
Old 04-05-2024, 05:31 AM   #39
swepub
Swepub
swepub began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for all feedback!
Now I'm even more confused
But I have some ideas at least and can do some testing to see what I like.
Maybe orphans=1000 and widows=1000 just to fill all pages with text
swepub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:32 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swepub View Post
Thanks for all feedback!
Now I'm even more confused
But I have some ideas at least and can do some testing to see what I like.
Maybe orphans=1000 and widows=1000 just to fill all pages with text
That may not work.

1) As you increase Widows and Orphans from 1, the occasional white space at the bottom of a page caused by keeping the paragraph text lines together increases.

2) What if a user has a larger font, smaller screen or book has a very large paragraph (I'm looking at you, authors before 1920s)? I think then a single word or line can appear on a next page, which might have no other content. A line or a few lines of a new paragraph won't start at the bottom of page.

3) I think every paragraph that won't fit on a page (either because of being big or already there are paragraphs) will start on a new page.

You likely don't want it that big.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:36 AM   #41
swepub
Swepub
swepub began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That may not work.

1) As you increase Widows and Orphans from 1, the occasional white space at the bottom of a page caused by keeping the paragraph text lines together increases.

2) What if a user has a larger font, smaller screen or book has a very large paragraph (I'm looking at you, authors before 1920s)? I think then a single word or line can appear on a next page, which might have no other content. A line or a few lines of a new paragraph won't start at the bottom of page.

3) I think every paragraph that won't fit on a page (either because of being big or already there are paragraphs) will start on a new page.

You likely don't want it that big.
It's Friday - I was just kidding...
swepub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:13 PM   #42
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
widow

Printing.

a. a short last line of a paragraph, especially one less than half of the full measure or one consisting of only a single word.

b. the last line of a paragraph when it is carried over to the top of the following page away from the rest of the paragraph.: Compare orphan (def. 4).

orphan

Printing.

a. (especially in word processing) the first line of a paragraph when it appears alone at the bottom of a page.

b. widow (def. 3b).

Yes, widow and orphan can synonyms, depending on how you choose your conventions, a or b.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:30 AM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I've encountered different sources having the reverse meaning to each other.

A single line of the end of a paragraph on a next page seems slightly more jaring than a single line of the start of a paragraph at a bottom of a page, and a word or line on its own at the top of an otherwise blank page looks lonely
Old 04-06-2024, 07:31 PM   #44
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hey...let's start a scrolling revival...then no more arguments!! We can make the world a better place with no more widows or orphans!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 04:51 AM   #45
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Sadly not only do web browsers use scrolling, but even BBC has added infinite scrolling where when you get to the end of an article instead of a link to older one, it's on the scroll. Idiots. A fashion started by anti-social media.