Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #31
-read-
-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Stanza on ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
It's essentially an "on the go" document handler and connectivity device. A concept like the Que was intriguing and seemed like a step in the right direction, but their use of e-paper and slow processing are too crippling to make the device feasible.

I think this point is especially interesting - the Que seems to have very impressive document handling capabilities, but it is rather slow - and we expect our computing devices to display information at nearly the speed of thought and input. Perhaps for this reason electronic ink is just not right for the ideal academic e-reader. At a minimum, an ideal device will have to provide both readability, speed, and organization.
-read- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #32
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by -read- View Post

I think this point is especially interesting - the Que seems to have very impressive document handling capabilities, but it is rather slow - and we expect our computing devices to display information at nearly the speed of thought and input. Perhaps for this reason electronic ink is just not right for the ideal academic e-reader. At a minimum, an ideal device will have to provide both readability, speed, and organization.
Yep, that's why I have no interest in e-ink for my academic research work.

That and I'd prefer a multi function tablet where I could pull up articles on my university's library website, search Google Scholar, do e-mail etc. all on the same device that I'm reading and marking up research articles etc.

Even moreso with the Que being more expensive than the iPad. That really makes me want to wait for a tablet that fits my needs vs. settling for an e-ink tablet like the Que.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #33
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
I've been experimenting with a lot of different devices for academic use. For me, "academic use" mainly consists of:
  • Brainstorming (sketches, diagrams, scribbles)
  • Taking notes at conferences and meetings, and in the lab
  • Reading PDF files of papers (journal articles) and marking them up
  • Reading reference books and documents (PDF)
  • Proofreading documents (PDF, Word and Powerpoint) - i.e. adding handwritten comments and annotations

I've owned the Lenov X61 tablet, Motion Computing LE1700 slate, Kindle DX, iRex DR1000s, Fujitsu P1630, Fujitsu T4215, and Fujitsu T2020. Some were successful to some degree; the X61 became my main PC for a long time, and after it broke, the T2020. Based on this experience, my ideal academic tablet would have:
  • PVA or IPS LCD display, at least 1000 pixels wide in portrait mode. At least 10 inches.
  • Active digitizer (Wacom style) is a necessity. If it has touch sensitivity in addition to that, that would be a nice bonus.
  • 8+ hours battery life, stretched to 10+ in the lowest power setting (screen brightness low, etc). A conference usually lasts all day.
  • Convertible is nice, but detachable keyboard would be OK.
  • Light weight as possible, naturally. 3.8 lb is almost unbearable for all-day use. 2.5lb would be nice.
  • Ideally it would run Windows. If not, there needs to be software that has the features of OneNote (i.e. handwriting input and network synchronization), and also a PDF markup software.
I couldn't agree more.

Just one important aspect: multitasking must also mean that you can open as many books concurrently as you need. An e-reader that can only open one book at a time is totally unfit for serious academic or teaching purposes.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #34
-read-
-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
I couldn't agree more.

Just one important aspect: multitasking must also mean that you can open as many books concurrently as you need. An e-reader that can only open one book at a time is totally unfit for serious academic or teaching purposes.
macminer, when you refer to open at the same time do you mean open on one screen, or open as in quick switching between documents?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #35
-read-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, that's why I have no interest in e-ink for my academic research work.

That and I'd prefer a multi function tablet where I could pull up articles on my university's library website, search Google Scholar, do e-mail etc. all on the same device that I'm reading and marking up research articles etc.

Even moreso with the Que being more expensive than the iPad. That really makes me want to wait for a tablet that fits my needs vs. settling for an e-ink tablet like the Que.
How important is text readability on this hypothetical tablet?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #36
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:

Unfortunately the Que seemed to be a good ambitious idea that came out of and by extension depends largely on on relatively limited (but interesting) screen technology. Had they originally developed around something like Pixel Qi or Liquavista, I wonder how far off the "ideal" academic tablet would have been.

Perhaps the Que isn't quite optimal either, but it has set a very useful example of where a documents-oriented interface can start.

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand this question. What do you mean by readability? Resolution? Contrast? Reflective/backlit? I think dmaul1114's statement about E-Ink refers to the company's products specifically, or EPD technology in general (E-Ink/PVI, SiPix Microcup, etc.). e-paper like Liquavista will certainly be welcome, as will good reflective and transflective LCD tech, but EPDs like E-Ink's are just too sluggish (would have said glacial, but that's more like FLEPia) for that dynamic use.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 02-03-2010 at 01:09 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #37
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't have issues reading on LCD (or LED especially). Plus for academic reading I seldom read more than an hour or two in any give stretch (and fairly seldomly do more than that in a day) as it has to be done between teaching and other research related tasks).

So I'd trade off the e-ink/e-paper reading benefit for getting the flexibility of being able to do lag free markup, quick page turns to skim through a document, internet, video etc. an LCD/LED display personally.

If you're a bookworm, read for hours on end, and have eye strain issues/need for super long batter life then my hypothetical tablet wouldn't be for you.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #38
Kiasmama
Kiasmama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Quote:
readability is very important to me. I can't read on a computer screen for more than half an hour or so. I've noticed a dramatic difference in my eye focusing ability since reading so much on the computer- so no more of that for me. I'm hoping the e-reader will be better that way. E-ink is a must.
Kiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #39
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I don't have issues reading on LCD (or LED especially). Plus for academic reading I seldom read more than an hour or two in any give stretch (and fairly seldomly do more than that in a day) as it has to be done between teaching and other research related tasks).

So I'd trade off the e-ink/e-paper reading benefit for getting the flexibility of being able to do lag free markup, quick page turns to skim through a document, internet, video etc. an LCD/LED display personally.

If you're a bookworm, read for hours on end, and have eye strain issues/need for super long batter life then my hypothetical tablet wouldn't be for you.
With possibilities like Pixel Qi, it's hard to imagine having to choose between one and the other. You get the speed, you get pretty power savings, you get reflective mode and backlighting...the only current problem I can see is if someone demands a different aspect ratio than what is presently available.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #40
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
For those in the know....would it be possible to have, well, almost no bezel on only one side of a screen? If so, and that edge was the one along the "fold" of a dual edged system, that would be my ideal large-screen, but portable device.

A nice sharp edge that, when opened, is right against the other sharp edge of the 2nd screen....
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #41
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
With possibilities like Pixel Qi, it's hard to imagine having to choose between one and the other. You get the speed, you get pretty power savings, you get reflective mode and backlighting...the only current problem I can see is if someone demands a different aspect ratio than what is presently available.
Yep, that would be the ideal. Nice reflective screen when needed, full color with back lighting for stunning HD video (like the iPad) when needed.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #42
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
macminer, when you refer to open at the same time do you mean open on one screen, or open as in quick switching between documents?
It could be:
* open through quick switching between windows (as in Windows Alt-Tab),
* divide window in half
* "open documents" tabs at the top or bottom of the screen
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote