Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
No history whatsoever

Heads-up to William Gibson fans that Zero History was released today!

http://www.amazon.com/Zero-History-ebook/dp/B003ZUXXBA

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/wil...00000000262356
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What the hell is going on here?

I've started reading Zero History Zero and it is fracking filled with unneeded commas. So many that it is constantly pulling me out of the story. One example out of many:

"Someone, within the silent, apparently closed building, rapped sharply, once, on plate glass, perhaps with a ring."

When of course it would have read better as:

"Someone within the silent, apparently closed building rapped sharply, once, on plate glass, perhaps with a ring."

Or even

"Someone within the silent, apparently closed building rapped once sharply on plate glass, perhaps with a ring."

If that was the only example in the book, that would be nitpicking, but they are everywhere.

Major editing fail.
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle Touch
This title is not available for customers from:
United States

At least that's what it shows for me.
sweevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Perhaps because of my tendency to stilt my own prose with commas, I do not find that sentence to be overdone with them. It gives a measure of paused thought processes to the person perceiving the scene.

Of course, saying this, I have no idea of the context nor of how repetitive it may be. I can conceive the possibility of me being bumped-out if the entire text kept giving me such pause(s).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Ouch. The Amazon edition in Canada is $14.82. Is it extra for all the commas, I wonder?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Ouch. The Amazon edition in Canada is $14.82. Is it extra for all the commas, I wonder?
Well, in fairness, you get 10,760 of them.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweevo View Post
This title is not available for customers from:
United States

At least that's what it shows for me.
Shows this for me as well. Perhaps it was taken down to correct the comma issue? Or was it never available in the U.S.?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I think there should be another comma after 'closed'.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's available in the UK Amazon Kindle store, but it's awfully expensive at £9.99.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

A couple of more sentences that caught my eye last night.:

"Everything was repackaged, in variously sized featureless white gelatin capsules, which he was forbidden to open."

"He'd pushed the empty white bubble-pack, with its tiny, precisely handwritten notations of date and hour, in purple ink, far down into the seatback pocket.

Also noticed one long sentence fragment, similar to the one in the "would you keep reading" thread over in Self-Promotions. I don't know what happened with this book, but the editor really failed at his job.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Now available at Amazon for USA for $12.99

http://www.amazon.com/Zero-History-e...3965344&sr=1-1
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Ahh...well...okay, that certainly gives me pause.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Personally, I'd be more worried about the adjectives.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...ero%20History&

Kobo Canada for $14.79. The $2 off coupon Kobodesktop works on it. It's good through the 14th.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post

"Everything was repackaged, in variously sized featureless white gelatin capsules, which he was forbidden to open."

"He'd pushed the empty white bubble-pack, with its tiny, precisely handwritten notations of date and hour, in purple ink, far down into the seatback pocket.

Also noticed one long sentence fragment, similar to the one in the "would you keep reading" thread over in Self-Promotions. I don't know what happened with this book, but the editor really failed at his job.
Can't see anything wrong with these two sentences myself... the first one you quoted was a bit too much, yes, but not these two IMO. I could read the same sentences with less commas, but I might have to go back and re-read to get the structure and meaning right. The commas make it easier to read for me.

The trouble is, once you've started noticing a thing like that in a book, you might become obsessed with it. I can relate to that
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote