Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
calibre problem on MacBook Air

There is a problem with the reader in calibre on the MacBook Air. I also would expect the same sort of difficulty on any small laptop. The problem is that the entire page is not displayed in the window. I suspect because the tool bar for calibre at the bottom of the reader window and the tool bar for the Mac at the top of the screen all eat up room that might be used by the display. The result is that you have to scroll up and down to see the entire content of the window. But if you are the least bit of a clutz when doing the scrolling you don't see the rest of the page but move to the next or preceding page, depending on which direction you are attempting to scroll.

Some thoughts, could the window be made effectively smaller and scale the contents? Could the control for the window be put into a seperate window along side the display window? Could the controls be located along the side of the window?

I have attached a couple of screen shots that show the problem. The reader window extends from just under the the control bar of the Mac to the very bottom of the screen at 1280 x 800 resolution (the max for the MacBook Air)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	656
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	13125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	626
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	13126  
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Locating the controls along the side of the window is a possibility. Open a ticket and I'll get around to it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy-Dawg View Post
There is a problem with the reader in calibre on the MacBook Air.
What does the fact that it is a small laptop have? What resolution do you run your screen at? 1280x800 is a good resolution.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What does the fact that it is a small laptop have? What resolution do you run your screen at? 1280x800 is a good resolution.

BOb
To properly emulate the sony Reader's screen a window 800 pixels high is needed. When you subtract the pixels used by calibre reader's tool bar and the Mac menu bar from the vertical resolution of a screen with 1280 x 800 you have significantly less than 800 pixels left for the data.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie

Kovid,
I downloaded 4.65 and I could not undock the tool bar. But I am able to hide it. With it hidden you almost have enough room. If you modify calibre's plist as in the attached launching calibre will hide the Mac's menu bar and now, with the tool bar hidden (or moved out of the window by undocking) you will have all 800 pixels for the data.

I also tried launching the GUI from the terminal. It works but once you have done so the GUI no longer will launch by double clicking calibre in the Finder. To restore it you must re-install calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Info.plist.zip (1.1 KB, 530 views)
Advert
Old 05-31-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie

Kovid
Any number of the recipes in 465, including the Associated Press, produce an error box which can't be dismissed and whose content cant be copied. I ran feeds2lrf on the Associated Press in terminal and got:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/feeds2lrf.py", line 9, in <module>
    main()
  File "calibre/ebooks/lrf/feeds/convert_from.pyo", line 40, in main
  File "calibre/web/feeds/main.pyo", line 128, in run_recipe
  File "calibre/web/feeds/news.pyo", line 832, in __init__
  File "calibre/web/feeds/news.pyo", line 437, in __init__
  File "calibre/web/feeds/templates.pyo", line 80, in __init__
  File "genshi/template/markup.pyo", line 75, in __init__
  File "genshi/template/base.pyo", line 320, in __init__
  File "genshi/template/markup.pyo", line 137, in _parse
  File "genshi/template/interpolation.pyo", line 76, in interpolate
  File "genshi/template/eval.pyo", line 53, in __init__
  File "genshi/template/eval.pyo", line 363, in _parse
  File "compiler/transformer.pyo", line 54, in parse
  File "compiler/transformer.pyo", line 133, in parseexpr
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'expr'
Old 05-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The feeds fetch error is a regression caused by the changes I made to get the GUI to run using /usr/bin/calibre,, I'll release a fixed dmg later today.

You can drag the toolbar by using the little dotted double line at its left edge. I'm not going to integrate the change to info.plist as it will have other side effects I dont want to have to deal with. You can probably override the setting in your ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
Old 05-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie

Ah! When you know how to do it is easy (undocking the toolbar that is). No problem with the info.plist it was just an idea - if it a source of problems don't use it.

Question: What in fact does determine the size of the reader window? I ask because some of them seem to be larger than others. For example the NewsWeek feed creates a window that is at least one line larger than the Associated Press (which is why I wanted to recover the space occupied by the menu bar.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

LRF files specify the size they want to be rendered at, I'm not sure why Newsweek wants to be larger than AP though. Note that you can use the up and down arrow keys to scroll and page up and page dn to change pages. That removes the possibility of accidentally flipping pages.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie

Kovid,
Hmmm! I thought you were trying to render as near as possible to the appearance in the Sony Reader which would have meant a 600 X 775 or there about window (there is the info bar at the bottom of the screen containing the battery status, page # etc)

In any event the difference seems to be that the News Week feed has a cover and the page size is such as to accommodate the cover. The difference between the window size of the News Week feed and the United Press feed is apparent in the screen captures attached.

I have done some preliminary testing of 0.4.66 and everything I have attempted to download has done so with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	650
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	13148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	627
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	13149  
Old 05-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah the full page cover takes a little more space, than pure text because the cover page has no margins defined. The viewer doesn't actually mimic the SONY reader software exactly (that would be very hard to do), indeed for some files you'll notice quite a significant difference in page count for example.