Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
PRSA-CL9 Cover+Light from Sony

I recently got my cover+light combo from Sony. It is dimmer than I expected, as some have stated. That being said, to me, it is bright enough on the high setting to comfortably read in the dark. The best setup is to position the light at the middle of the device on the left-hand side angled towards the SD slot. The problem with placing the light at the top of the screen (when holding the 900 in portrait) is that the bottom of the screen is slightly too dim. You can read the text, but it will be somewhat dark. This also makes it so that you won't see a reflection of the LED lights themselves. When using the light in my bedroom, the screen is easily readable with no reflections. With this setup, you should be able to read in portrait or landscape and make annotations as needed (if you are right handed). The light may get in your way if you write with your left hand.

The light uses only 1 AAA battery, so that could be why the light isn't as bright as other third-party clip ons. The light folds down on the left side so that you can close the cover. I find this actually very convenient as I can slip it into my bag easily. In fact, you can't really tell there is a light until you open up the cover.

The cover itself is nice and matches the integrated back. I actually like it better than the stock cover because it doesn't have that annoying metal bar on the front (the metal bar on the stock cover annoyed me for some reason). Unlike the covers for the PRS-505, it is flush with the 900. There's no "overhang." I would actually prefer a cover with an overhang, which would more resemble a hardback book cover. But obviously, this isn't really possible due to the integrated back cover. You can fold the cover over to the backside pretty easily.

I would say you should try out the light in the Sony Store, but chances are the store will be too brightly lit to get a satisfactory demonstration. If you know that you have trouble seeing in the dark or have poor night vision, you should consider getting a brighter light. But if you do not have any specific night-vision limitations, I would not be quick to dismiss this light. Perhaps one could try it out from a store that has a good return policy.

The convenience factor is huge for me. I prefer having a light that is permanently attached to my readers and easily stored with it. Clip ons are ok, but annoying to me because it yet another thing to carry. I owned the light wedge cover for the PRS-505 and loved it, except for the fact that it was cumbersome and in my way when I didn't need the extra light. Plus, it somehow got scratched up a bit. This light is more convenient as you can hide it out of your way when not needed.

Hope this helps. Obviously, third-party could come along and make a light with the same convenience factor but brighter. If so, I would probably consider it at that time. But for now, this light suits my needs.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
Well stated review. Additionally the clip-ons tend to unbalance the reader, which is a strong consideration when reading over an extended period of time.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert