Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
annieher
annieher began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (at the moment)
Smile firmware update for PRS-500

Hi, this is my first post here so hi to everyone and hope you can give me some advice.
First, I'm not particularly computer/reader-literate. I sort of stumble along, trying things to see if they work and then, when/if they do, I can't remember exactly what I did. Get the idea?
So, I have a Sony PRS-500 which needs to have the firmware update but as I live in Australia (and Sony here don't do it), I have to send it to the US.
Little bit hesitant about this...especially after reading some of your posts about the Sony Service Centre. The address I've been given is the one in Laredo, Texas...does that make any difference?
So I was wondering if anyone else had done this (the update) and was it worth the effort?
or should I just buy a new one? I believe the 505 is very good?
thanks
Annie
annieher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So far, I would say no.
People who upgraded their old 500 with the latest epub integrated f/w experience a huge loss in battery life. If you have means get a new reader or 505. 505 is a fantastic reader but is an old model now and removed from stores. 300, 600 and 900 replaced it.

Last edited by astra; 02-03-2010 at 04:30 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
annieher
annieher began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (at the moment)
prs-500 and firmware update

thanks for the reply.I was thinking of the 505 because I read somewhere that it is a VERY good model and the later ones aren't as good.
Because there are very, very VERY few eReaders in Australia, I can't go anywhere to actually play with one and see how it goes.
So all my searching has to be online, no hands-on which makes me nervous.
annieher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieher View Post
Because there are very, very VERY few eReaders in Australia, I can't go anywhere to actually play with one and see how it goes.
So all my searching has to be online, no hands-on which makes me nervous.
When I bought my 500, there were even less than very, very VERY few eReaders in Albion. Ditto for 505. Got them from BHphotovideo from the USA. No regrets at all.
Yes, 505 has a better quality screen. Wrong. The screen is the same but 600&900 have touch screen over it, which adds glare. 300 has exactly the same quality screen as 505 BUT 1" smaller If I had to choose, I would go for 6" with glare but not the smaller screen (at the end of the day you just have to hold it at a bit different angle to avoid the glare, people say they get used to the "adjustment practice" after a few weeks of use.).
900 has a better epub support than 300/505/600. Full justification.

I think if I were to buy ebook reader right now, I would go for brand new 900 from bhphotovideo. Yes, it is pricey, but if you look a bit ahead, in 6 months after the purchase you will forget you paid $150 more, but you are going to enjoy the reader "right now" for a few years at least. If you love reading, go for it. For any of them

Last edited by astra; 02-04-2010 at 05:29 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote