Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy?
Cybook 43 63.24%
BeBook 25 36.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Cybook is pretty flimsy IMO. I don't have a BeBook/V3 to compare, but PRS-505 is much much sturdier (no wonder with an aluminium casing).
With the standard case (which is, IMHO, essential) the CyBook is fine, but don't get one without a case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
It's not metal, just painted plastic (at least as far as I can tell).
Yep. And I've worn through the metal paint on TWO of my devices in just under six months!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
I don't have any problems with the Mobi support on the HanLin V3. I realise there's no dictionary lookup from within a book, but that's a feature that I wouldn't use, even if it was available.

This pic is the PRC file of Olympus Prime on a Cybook and HanLin V3, with thanks to the author, Jim Smith.

I prefer full justification, but I believe that's a setting when the file's created. I think the book's perfectly readable on both devices (and its a great book, too!).

Please click 3 separate times to view the pic more clearly.

Wow! Page count in the BeBook!

Bookeen is taking months and months to update the firmware and give page count to the mobireader. What looks amazingly difficult for Bookeen is already done in a rough early version of BeBooks mobireader!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #19
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
I am currently leaning towards buying the EZ Reader version of the BeBook next spring. There are things I like about both the Cybook and Bebook/EZ Reader but...

1) I live in Washington state so dealing directly with a company in California for warrenty work, parts, etc. is much more appealing than going through Books On Board to deal with a company in France. Dealing directly with BeBook in the Netherlands would eliminate the middle man, but there would be other types of issues (time zones for one).

2) I can get a battery for the EZ Reader/BeBook at any cell phone supply place for $10 or less and install it myself. I really like this part because the Cybook battery is $45 + shipping directly from Bookeen.

3) After having a iPod with just the wheel for going through menus, I want the number buttons to make things easier even though they clutter the device a bit. I also like the location of the page turn buttons on the left-hand side.

4) I like how many formats are available on the EZ Reader/BeBook and that I have the option to load other reader software. I likely won't, but the having the option gives me warm fuzzy feelings. Cybook just doesn't seem to be quite as accomodating for loading other software as the EZ Reader/BeBook from what I have read.

5) The US prices I would pay for a Cybook or BeBook are the same, about $350 + shipping for the package deal. I hope that by spring the EZ Reader will have the shipping from China to the US issue resolved so the price will go down a bit from the current $324 + shipping. Also by then the Mobipocket support for all Jinke V3 devices should hopefully improve.

Many of my reasons will of course not apply to anyone outside the US and maybe not even on the east coast of the US, but hopefully they might provide you with a few things to consider.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:10 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Wow! Page count in the BeBook!

Bookeen is taking months and months to update the firmware and give page count to the mobireader. What looks amazingly difficult for Bookeen is already done in a rough early version of BeBooks mobireader!
<sigh>

As has been said about a million times, page counts in Mobi Reader are buggy and useless. You may want them, but for many of us, an incorrect page count is worse than no page count at all, and the progress bar is perfectly satisfactory. You do Bookeen a disservice in your assertion that they couldn't add a page count should they wish to have done. Given the fundamental flaw in page counting in the Mobi "engine" (which they have no control over) the decision not to display (meaningless) page numbers was the right one to take, IMHO.
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 AM   #21
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As has been said about a million times, page counts in Mobi Reader are buggy and useless.
HarryT is right... the page numbers are only a rough estimation of the actual number of pages, and the estimations are incorrect most of the time.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to call them "useless", since I find even a rough estimation a welcome indication of my progress in the book—although a progress bar probably is just as useful.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #22
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
HarryT is right... the page numbers are only a rough estimation of the actual number of pages, and the estimations are incorrect most of the time.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to call them "useless", since I find even a rough estimation a welcome indication of my progress in the book—although a progress bar probably is just as useful.
Well, the pagecount in Mobi is screwed up yes, however the pagecount in .LIT works most excellent and is very accurate.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #23
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
<sigh>

As has been said about a million times, page counts in Mobi Reader are buggy and useless. You may want them, but for many of us, an incorrect page count is worse than no page count at all, and the progress bar is perfectly satisfactory. You do Bookeen a disservice in your assertion that they couldn't add a page count should they wish to have done. Given the fundamental flaw in page counting in the Mobi "engine" (which they have no control over) the decision not to display (meaningless) page numbers was the right one to take, IMHO.
Useless? That's your opinion, Harry. Maybe Bookeen could make page count optional? Not making it available means there are lots of people without that option.

Right now, I have the trouble to use the "go to..." option to know how many "pages" the ebook has with the current font type&size settings, for example.

Even if not accurate, it's a lot more accurate than a simple bar in the bottom.

Can't Bookeen implement it, even if making it optional?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Could I ask what you use the "Goto" function for? I honestly don't believe I've ever used it, in all the time I've had my CyBook. If I want to go to a particular place in the book, I use the table of contents.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
And there are very good arguments that it is very useful even with the limitations. And they display the last pagenumber in the goto menu.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #26
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And there are very good arguments that it is very useful even with the limitations. And they display the last pagenumber in the goto menu.
This gives an idea of the length of the book, especially if you use the same font size all the time within your books.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I completely agree that knowing the approximate length of the book, in pages, is useful information, but that information is available on the Gen3, albeit a little awkwardly. What I'm not so convinced of is the value of a current page number, due to its extreme unreliability in a Mobipocket book.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I completely agree that knowing the approximate length of the book, in pages, is useful information, but that information is available on the Gen3, albeit a little awkwardly. What I'm not so convinced of is the value of a current page number, due to its extreme unreliability in a Mobipocket book.
For me it is useful for a lot of things. So just add it as an option so people can choose.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #29
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
What do you guys think of the Hanlin V8?
I see some people mention the V3; they seem 2 devices not so far appart, besides the small touchscreen on the bottom if I'm right...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #30
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I've come to the conclusion between the two of them, basically by just comparing the Matrix.

I'll write the differences here:
Size and weight differences are small, and not really an issue for me here:
Bebook left,-- Cybook right. (score +1 for item Bebook, -1 when Cybook wins)

184x120.5x9.9 -- 188x118x8.5 (-1) minor difference
200gr -- 174gr (-1) minor difference
950mAh Nokia batt(easily replaceable) -- 1000mAh custom Cybook batt (+2,-1) higher capacity battery, but not easily replacable
9000 pageturns -- 8000 pageturns (+1)
16sec boot -- 20sec boot (+1)
SDK Yes -- No (+1)
SD/MMC -- SDHC (+1,-1) <= anyone knows if one device uses SDHC?
2MB NOR FLASH -- 8MB RAM (-1)
USB 1.1 -- USB 2 (-1)
+Epub, RTF, LIT, PPT, WOLF, DOC, CHM, FB2, DJVU, Tiff, BMP, RAR, ZIP -- OEB XHTML (+13, -1)
No dictionary -- Dictionary support (-1)
No Notes -- Bookmarks menu (-1)
I station readman service -- N/A (+0) I don't use this anyways.
N/A -- Ubibooks, Cluster21 (-2)
$299 -- $350 (+2) <=Price is a major factor
Better build quality -- Beter design and looks, and color; better display? (-2)

BeBook score:21
CyBook score:13
This leads me to : a +8 score for Bebook

Any thoughts or changes on above info? (like other read format support or so?)

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-04-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Update1: SDHC
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, cybook