Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Our Mountain Lions made the news

They actually had a news story on the Austin news the other night about how the number of mountain lions in our area is starting to cause a few "problems."

The other morning, I went out to take my doggie girls for a walk, and they were both scared to death ... of something. They both looked at me and whimpered and kept looking out towards the trees.

I am fairly certain that our resident lions made a little foray into the back yard. However, there is no way in hell that even a hungry lion would jump a six-foot kennel fence to be in an enclosed place with two good sized dogs. So, I know they were safe .... but probably not very happy about seeing a cat that big.

The last time I saw them that scared was when I tried to take them for a walk at night. We got out to the drive, heard a big cat scream, and both girls just did an about-face and whimpered us right back into the house double-time.

Ah, the joys of living in the country.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
every mt lion that strays into my area gets shot, farmers like to shoot everything around here
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
every mt lion that strays into my area gets shot, farmers like to shoot everything around here
Most of this area is a nature preserve, so shooting anything is quite likely to get you locked up. A few rare exceptions are made (I haven't heard to anyone getting arrested for killing a rattlesnake), but as far as I know, the lions are not subject to being shot.

And, honestly, although they scare the crap out of me, it would bother me more if I thought that someone was going to be shooting a gun in the general direction of my house.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
And when I want to see a lion I have to go to the zoo. And wait in line... some people have all the fun.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
And when I want to see a lion I have to go to the zoo. And wait in line... some people have all the fun.
There's a line to see the lions?? Pandas I can understand ... but lions???
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
There's a line to see the lions?? Pandas I can understand ... but lions???
Pandas??? You know how much it cost to get a Panda from china??? We have to make do with a few half-starved measly lions. And only on visiting hours, mind...

Imagine getting them all for yourself when you're alone, at night, at their native surrounding.. when you're half asleep...

Last edited by Dave Berk; 10-23-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Pandas??? You know how much it cost to get a Panda from china??? We have to make do with a few half-starved measly lions. And only on visiting hours, mind...

Imagine getting them all for yourself when you're alone, at night, at their native surrounding.. when you're half asleep...
I don't have to imagine .... I just have to fall asleep in the chaise on the back porch and wait until it gets dark.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
I don't have to imagine .... I just have to fall asleep in the chaise on the back porch and wait until it gets dark.
Sound scary. Yet strangely exciting as well.. So long as you don't actually do that, the possiblity of it make life more fun.

...Or I'm just weird
Old 10-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
There's mountain lions in Iowa now? When I was a kid, there were occasional bears on summer holiday from Minnesota, but I can't recall mountain lions.

Or mountains, either.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Montgomery County, MD (north of Washington DC) has recently seen all manner of animals that formerly were seen only in areas from Northern Virginia to the Shenandoah range. Urban sprawl and the availability of easy eats (i.e. trashcans, mostly) has driven them our way. Hawks and vultures are common in my area now, we're now seeing occasional coyotes and bald eagles (which are soooo cool to see on the wing), and bears have been sighted in our area.

We're pretty sure a young bear climbed a tree in our backyard to get the high seedpods, then had a devil of a time getting back down, waking us up in the middle of the night with its bleating and scratching its way down the tree. My wife thought a bear was fighting a buzzard, and (quite naturally) went right out to see... forcing me to go out with her, so one of us could at least provide a material witness to the mauling of the other... but we missed getting a clear view of it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

There's a town just north of Austin called "Round Rock." There was an item on the news last night about how herds of wild pigs are tearing up the lawns there .... I mean really destroying them ... pulling the entire lawn up by the roots.

One guy had the remarkable foresight to put a time lapse camera up in one of his windows to film them. There must have been twenty or more of the buggers just ripping away at his lawn.

Now, the only thing that is a little scary is imagining the little kids out for trick or treat and being menaced by a bunch of pissed off wild pigs.

And I thought I had a problem with the armadillos ripping up my lawn. What they do is nothing compared to a few dozen javelinas.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
We have been having more and more alligator sightings. Brother-in-law trapped a 9 footer in his pond. It made the news. I think Gulf development is driving them north.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Oh yeah? Well I've got squirrels in my back yard!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
There's a town just north of Austin called "Round Rock." There was an item on the news last night about how herds of wild pigs are tearing up the lawns there .... I mean really destroying them ... pulling the entire lawn up by the roots.
Cool. Fresh pork delivered to your door.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My squirrels can kick your squirrels' a$$es! From my post at The Squirrel Thread earlier today:

OK, People, Listen Up!

This is a true story about how tough these pandimensional squirrels really are:

We had an enormous fire ant hill beside our sidewalk. Nothing would kill it. They were excavating into the concrete. (If you don't believe me, ask any southerner if fire ants can eat into your sidewalk.) This pile was about a half foot high, a very big mound.

The mound was heavily sprinkled with poison pellets. Apparently the ants find them tasty. Well, yesterday morning, we came out to find a squirrel digging furiously in the ant pile. It seemed to be trying to bury a pecan in the pile, and it was covered in ants. While we watched, it ran to the grass and rolled around to get those stinging little b@stards off. Then it went back to it's job and started digging again, through stinging ants and poison pellets.

Nothing, not even ramming a shovel into the pile, drenching it with gasoline, and burning it has been able to kill that pile all summer. Yesterday evening, THE PILE WAS DESTROYED AND THERE WERE NO LIVING ANTS LEFT!

ONE DETERMINED SQUIRREL DID WHAT A FIERY CHEMICAL CONFLAGRATION COULD NOT DO!!!!!

Be afraid. Be very afraid.