Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #46
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Please try the Iconia before you buy one. Might be personal preference but I found the screen to be inferior to that of the Vox especially in portrait orientation for reading so I passed on it.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #47
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thumbs up

Purchased the Iconia Tablet at $199. Actually its quite good unless you hold the screen to one side, which, with a 7" tablet you never do. Its very powerful, unlike the Vox, using the dual core Tegra 2 at 1GHZ and 1GB of memory. Browsing and watching movies is a blast since it plays all formats. Well worth the price. Has a 14 day return policy.
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #48
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post
Purchased the Iconia Tablet at $199. Actually its quite good unless you hold the screen to one side, which, with a 7" tablet you never do. Its very powerful, unlike the Vox, using the dual core Tegra 2 at 1GHZ and 1GB of memory. Browsing and watching movies is a blast since it plays all formats. Well worth the price. Has a 14 day return policy.
Its only drawback is the 5h battery life (supposedly only under the heaviest of uses - eg, streaming video over wi-fi - but I've heard that moderate use is only 6h or so). If I could afford the $230 (after tax) right now, I'd've ordered it already...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #49
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
32GB PlayBook is the same price with more flash 32GB vs. 8GB, better cameras and HDMI so not as good for me yet.
Yeap, the PlayBook is a better deal. But keep in mind that it isn't an option for everyone. Some of us have been down that fringe platform road before and it is rarely the best place to be (sometimes because they die off, and sometimes because they change direction in an undesirable way).
Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #50
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Yeap, the PlayBook is a better deal. But keep in mind that it isn't an option for everyone. Some of us have been down that fringe platform road before and it is rarely the best place to be (sometimes because they die off, and sometimes because they change direction in an undesirable way).
True though I would say the Vox is also a bit of a fringe device, at least right now. If it becomes a full out of the box Google Play supported device it will be less off the beaten path than it is at the moment.
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #51
Odieman
Enthusiast
Odieman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Using it the same as a Vox, I have found the battery life of the Iconia to be a bit longer than the Vox (about six and three quarters hours VS six hours).

Keith
Odieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #52
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Red face

The only problem I had with the Vox was its "finickiness". It took me ages to set up and update. By that time I was ready to tear my hair out. It does not have access to the full Android market but its an attractive design and an excellent E Reader.

The beauty about Apps, especially for E Reading, is the variety of different Readers. I use about 4 and all have different options that make reading a pleasure.

So the screen, of the Acer, isn't IPS - A 7" tablet is meant for personal viewing. The screen resolution at 1024x600 is excellent and colors are vivid. Plus its got Honeycomb 3.2 with ICS coming at the end of April, or so they say. It also runs NetFlix.

The best thing I like about the Acer is that its not proprietary like Kindle and Nook (which are next to useless in Canada).

Last edited by insync44; 04-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #53
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
True though I would say the Vox is also a bit of a fringe device, at least right now. If it becomes a full out of the box Google Play supported device it will be less off the beaten path than it is at the moment.
Yes and no on the fringe bit. As a more technical user, I only used Google Play to grab the Kindle app and am more than happy to download most of my apps from the developer's website (so Google Play has since been removed). But I can see how life would be harder for a typical user who doesn't know how to or doesn't want to track down apps, and doesn't know how to vet the apps that they do find on the developer's site.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #54
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Sadly, it looks like the asus that everyone was excited about is morphing into the first Google branded tablet which at the very least, makes its initial availability in Canada questionable.

So what are the alternatives now?

The acer iconia can now be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich. How's that working for people with iconias?

Looks like the new samsung 7" also running ICE will be here in June, looks pretty decent:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...447e1f3015en02

Any others?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #55
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Which Reader to Buy?

There's a whole thread here on which reader/tablet to buy.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Personally I have a PlayBook that I really like and a Vox that I hate because it's so buggy and slooowwww.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #56
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I have the Vox because it was a birthday gift. If I hadn't received it, I would have gone and bought a Kobo Touch or something, because all I wanted was the ability to read library books.

But the Vox does have a bunch of neat extras, besides just being an eReader. However, the most annoying part is the short battery life when using the Internet. Someone in my household has a Playbook and they never even bother turning it off, let alone turning off the wifi, and it goes for days without charging. If I start browsing the Internet with my Vox when it's only half-charged, I can't expect more than a couple of hours battery life.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #57
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I bought the Playbook and I hate the thing..I find it very frustrating to use and I already have an ipad and the kobo vox. I never use my playbook..I can't find any use for it.
I love my Kobo Vox, but I agree about the battery life..that and it's weight. If it was
slightly lighter and had better battery life I would love it..but I still think it's very special as an ereader right now. If I don't use it for a few days though I have to always recharge it.
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #58
hpulley
Addict

I use my PlayBook all day while sadly the Vox isn't getting a lot of use lately.

I still prefer the 7" format so I still hope Apple or MS will bring out smaller iPad and Surface devices as alternatives. The PlayBook still fits my needs but the way RIM is going I may need to look elsewhere. The Vox VPN and browser still don't fit my Business needs and wasn't meant to. Still a good reader and fun tablet.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #59
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Battery life HAS improved since the latest update. I also added Easy Battery Saver to manage what's on/off and now I don't charge the Vox nearly as often as previously. My charge easily lasts all day now. Wake from sleep seems cured as well since it can be sleeping for hours with no visible decrease in the power level.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #60
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
I still prefer the 7" format so I still hope Apple or MS will bring out smaller iPad and Surface devices as alternatives.
Not sure about MS but don't hold your breathe waiting for Apple to bring out a $200 tablet. They have a faithful customer base willing to pay 2 or 3 times what anyone else would pay for their products.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote