Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #76
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Get out of my head, pooh! This is also one of my top ten favorites. So no need to be depressed and start in on the Russians.

I'll hold back and let someone else play, since I was just up.
I'm so glad to find another fan! A magnificent books that should be wider known!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #77
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
There don't seem to be any takers, so I'm claiming this. The Good Soldier, by Ford Madox Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm so glad to find another fan! A magnificent books that should be wider known!
Let's hope that some are intrigued enough by our praise that they decide to read it. I agree with you; it's magnificent. Here's a blurb from the Guardian: it's "thought by many to be one of the few stylistically perfect works in any language".
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #78
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There don't seem to be any takers, so I'm claiming this. The Good Soldier, by Ford Madox Ford.

Let's hope that some are intrigued enough by our praise that they decide to read it. I agree with you; it's magnificent. Here's a blurb from the Guardian: it's "thought by many to be one of the few stylistically perfect works in any language".
Take it away issybird! And yes - it is "stylistically perfect!"
Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #79
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let's go from the sublime to the sewer.

"Indian summer is like a woman. Ripe, hotly passionate, but yet fickle, she comes and goes as she pleases."
Old 08-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #80
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dang that's familiar, but I'm drawing a blank.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #81
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Lady Chatterly's Lover?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #82
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Lady Chatterly's Lover?
Think much trashier than that. American, from my neck of the woods.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #83
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Hmmmm .... trashy prose from New England ....
Old 08-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #84
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

...written by a housewife in blue jeans...

Am I the only person here who read trash as an adolescent? Maybe you have to be of a certain age to have heard of this book, but it is (or was, lol) a pretty famous first line.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #85
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I have a guess I could offer. I don't know it it would be considered fair though. I don't recognize the quote, and have never even read the book. But based on the other clues offered so far I am seeing a very young Mia Farrow . . .?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #86
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
But based on the other clues offered so far I am seeing a very young Mia Farrow . . .?
Bingo!

Guess away.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #87
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Bingo!

Guess away.
Peyton Place it is then.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #88
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I've never read Peyton Place .... would never have associated such lush language with it!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #89
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Hamlet is onstage.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #90
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead?

(It's a play, not sure it was ever a book...?)
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote