Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How do you find new authors to read?

I am always looking for new great authors to read and will soon finish up one author and will start looking for new authors. I have never found any web site to be too helpful in finding new authors. Currently I use Amazon, Borders and Barns and Nobles to help screen the field of books down to a manageable level. Fictfact has been somewhat helpful, although the site seems to stick to the most popular authors and I have a tendency to go of the beaten path in search of great lesser known authors. What web sites do you use to help screen the field of ebooks down to a manageable level?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Altoanto
tsoin tsoin
Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Altoanto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
Hi Jbcohen,
I usually start by simply typing "best GENRE books" on google and go on from there by looking up titles and reviews on Amazon, often people will compare books with other ("reminded me of the amazing work of ___" etc..) which can be a good lead to great authors.
Also I mostly read SF so I often rely on Hugo and Nebula awards.
Examples of nice book lists to start from:
http://www.goodreads.com/list
http://www.flashlightworthybooks.com/
As I said I always cross it with amazon reviews since popular doesn't always means good
To me, finding books to read is as much fun as reading itself!

Good luck!
Altoanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I don't use web sites much. I wander the local bookstores, and pick up books at random. Look it over, and decide if I am going to buy it or not.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
I do either "browse around" or "word of mouth".
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
My library's New Books shelf is a start, including searching new acquisitions list of audio and e-books. I have found Amazon's "people who liked this also liked (bought) that" helpful, too.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I check out the books featured for the book clubs I belong to on Goodreads.com. I'm reading The Blade Itself now, as one of the November ebook SF/F club reads.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I usually find mine through browsing or recommendations. If you need any recommendations, just let me know
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
I've actually find Goodreads to be pretty useful. It at least reminds me of books I meant to read a while back and forgot. As do these boards here. Sounds like you're on the right track!
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I walk into the library, grab 2 or 3 books at random, and take them home. That's how I found Barry Eisler and Charles Stross. Or I read books people suggest or give me. That's how I found Andrew Vachss and Neil Gaiman.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I do lots of research before buying a book (or even trading/borrowing one). I am a dark or urban fantasy reader, primarily, so I search Amazon and Barnes and Noble sites for books, read reviews-both editorial and customer, track read books and books to check out. Try searching Amazon for a book you know you like, look at customer reviews, if you find a reviewer who agrees with your opinion of the book, click on "see all my reviews"- often you will get good book ideas there. And if you tell us what genre you are interested in, I am sure you will get lots of recommendations from members of this site.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I browse local bookstores (Chapters, Indigo Books, Coles), the public library, the 'Reading Recommendations Sub Forum' right here and word of mouth.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Anderson View Post
I've actually find Goodreads to be pretty useful. It at least reminds me of books I meant to read a while back and forgot. As do these boards here. Sounds like you're on the right track!
I love goodreads
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
This is not how I find new authors (since I just remembered this site after reading your original post ), but there's a site called allreaders.com where you can choose plot types, tone of the story and other aspects and it will generate suggestions for you. Sort of a poor man's personal book recommendation AI . Remember to change the overall genre (SF, romance, etc.) at the beginning of the page before you start choosing things.

Anyway, check it out. Perhaps you'll find something useful.

Personally, I trade suggestions with a very good friend of mine who has similar interests. Also, browsing on Amazon (starting with something you've read that's sort of a prototype for what you want to read and following recommendations, people's lists, etc.) has proved VERY fruitful in the past. I wish someone would license the Netflix recommendation engine and use it for books. There are even some articles that appear all over the net about "must-read" books in different genres, lists of underrated books and so on. I usually learn of these lists in forums like this one .

Threads on a forum like this are quite useful. Just browse around in old threads or start new ones (perhaps with some indication of what sort of books you've liked so far). It's easier that way to find kindred souls just eager to recommend more of what you might like. It's been my experience that we bibliophiles love to blab about what we read - just light the match and the rest will follow .

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 11-13-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added more suggestions
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #14
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Through this thread:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10108
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I try to make at least some sort of written comment at Goodreads, not just clicking stars. As a co-moderator of one of the more active forums there (Audiobooks), I can say everyone is so respectful that my biggest "duty" has consisted of locking the old quarterly "What Are You Listening To?" thread when the next one starts!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote