Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #91
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I LOL'd just a little bit.

But I agree that the skill of the photographer is what matters. Not the mediocre lens system on a tablet
----------------------------

The multi lens system in this pad, is amazing when you think that it is not in a dedicated digital camera, but yet, can take excellent depth of field, and HD clarity. Amazing is an accurate description as an add on feature of an Internet consumption device. Then, as most digital cameras can not even compete onboard, you have myriads of apps to cater to any form of picture manipulation you wish...and on a HD 7 inch display!

Mediocre, only if compared to a dedicated high-end digital picture snapper (smile).

Yes...the concept is amazing for the general picture-taking public who will be wielding a tablet.

Cheers!

R.P.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #92
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
R.P.

If your point is that in some time before Christmas Asus will come out with a tablet that does more but costs more. You're right (though it will not be called what you think it will--as the Nexus used that name when it went through the FCC) . Every tech company in the world has plans for the future that include better products. Every person who buys technology makes a decision, when they plunk down their dollars, that the device they are buying meets their needs, at the price they are willing to pay at the time.

I can almost guarantee if you buy an Asus Tablet in November, there will be something better on the market in the spring.

I bought the Vox because it seemed like a good deal at the time and I was willing (and able) to pay the price. Who knows, at some point I may buy some future Vox. At some point, I may drop out of the tablet market because my needs truly have not changed since my last purchase, and I am content with what I own. That has happened to me in terms of a desktop and a cell phone already. My Nexus S phone meets all of my needs (and is getting jellybean later in the month). I see no need to replace my desktop unless it breaks and the cost of repairs can't be justified.

Last edited by taming; 07-02-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: last paragraph
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #93
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
R.P.

If your point is that in some time before Christmas Asus will come out with a tablet that does more but costs more. You're right (though it will not be called what you think it will--as the Nexus used that name when it went through the FCC) . Every tech company in the world has plans for the future that include better products. Every person who buys technology makes a decision, when they plunk down their dollars, that the device they are buying meets their needs, at the price they are willing to pay at the time.

I can almost guarantee if you buy an Asus Tablet in November, there will be something better on the market in the spring.

I bought the Vox because it seemed like a good deal at the time and I was willing (and able) to pay the price. Who knows, at some point I may buy some future Vox. At some point, I may drop out of the tablet market because my needs truly have not changed since my last purchase, and I am content with what I own. That has happened to me in terms of a desktop and a cell phone already. My Nexus S phone meets all of my needs (and is getting jellybean later in the month). I see no need to replace my desktop unless it breaks and the cost of repairs can't be justified.
------------------------------------------------

This latest Vox update (Play Store, etc) has really thrown life into the Vox. I'd say that now (even with the performance-limiting single core 800 Mhz proc. in play) it really is a quite nice back-lit eReader--- with a usable 'side order' of tablet.

About the MeMo370T Taming,...I wasn't really focusing on the fact that Asus will market 'their' version of a 7 inch format under the same model number, but that they will release to market before the holidays 'a' version of the 7 inch format, and not ghost-branded as the Nexus 7 is. Please don't get me wrong within the flavor of my posts regarding the Nexus 7. For the money, it is a great tablet, but having said that, I, like many other persons around the world wanted all the features that Asus had 'disclosed' regarding the MeMo 370T as a total solution in a 7 inch design. I would have gladly paid another fifty dollars for the original spec's. Thousands (as per the Net disgrunters...) others would have as well. $249.00 USF would have been the incredible price point for the original, and Asus knows they did not harvest such as myself in the sub-supply through Google. So, it is my personal opinion that Asus will release to market post-Google, their own '7 inch net' to catch the rest of the fish that are hanging around waiting for the right bait to be dropped. Yes, of course I could be totally wrong, as I do not work for Asus, and am not releasing clandestine information. Having been in the business for many years, there are strong market indicators that a release under their house branding with upgraded features will happen, and a couple of months before the holidays. I am willing to wait on the matter as the Vox is now a doable tablet experience for the interim, as to what it was upon release. The Vox Team should give themselves a slap on the back.

Edit: There have been STRONG rumors that Apple is also wishing to harvest the 7 inch crowd. Some industry 'back-door note slip'ers' (smile) suggest around September/October of this year. Asus also knows this...and is fishing in the same ocean..... Life is good. Oh yes....

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 07-05-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added content
Old 07-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #94
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Nexus 7 inch review....

Well, I have 'bit the bullet' so to type, and went out yesterday to Staples and bought a Nexus 7 via a walk-in purchase. They seriously had only one left within the store from a quite hefty first shipment.

The two things that had stopped me from jumping on the Nexus 7 bandwagon, was the lack of a rear-facing camera, and second, the lack of memory expansion. Other than that, it is truly the Asus MeMo 370T in all other regards.

So..why did I do an about-face? I saw one in action...somebody had got their hands on one, and took me upon a hand's on tour...lol.

This 7 inch tablet...is GORGEOUS! This 7 inch tablet is LIGHTENING FAST!

The KOBO app on this tablet will blow you away. There is no waiting for hardware to enact what you want to do. Zoom...Zip....Zammmmmmmm. The pages are updated, downloads are whoosh...and reading interaction is as smooth as butter. The app blends the best of what you see on your Vox, as well as the desk-top 3.0 Oh...btw, did I mention faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast action on the software? Oh yeah....

Battery life is truly an amazing 9 plus hours with doing EVERYTHING, and with wi-fi always on. The battery is a beast! You'll pass out before it will, LOLOLOL. You can either charge the battery via your USB port on your computer, or you can use the faster charging USB wall plug adapter. This battery will charge up full in under 3 hours!!!!

I can really shorten up this review by saying that ANYTHING you want to do with this 7 inch powerhouse, will be nothing short of first rate. Reading, cruising the Net, watching a movie (Netflix at $7.99 per month for unlimited content wraps this area up....) Jellybean 4.1.1. is a gem. It feels like a full O.S. rather than merely what drives a phone.

I do HIGHLY suggest that if you wish to also jump on board, that you only consider the 16 GB version. You will need the added headroom for memory, and when and if you wish to resell your tablet at a later date, this will be the only one that a purchaser would be interested in buying, since you can not slip in extra S.D. memory. I have had it for a day, and already have over a full GB of apps and such.

So...for myself, even though I took a 'firm' stand last week about waiting it out until December to see what comes on down the line, it didn't turn out that way.

I am eating a crow sandwich as I'm using and enjoying my new tab.

I highly recommend the Nexus 7 for reading,.... and anything else one uses a pad for beyond the aforementioned......

P.S. When you open a Google Wallet account, they will credit you with a $25.00 amount. Away you go....new apps, or just grabbing some books. This in effect reduces your cost of the unit by the same. I have already purchased some apps and a couple of books.

R.P.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 07-17-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added the P.S. comments....
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #95
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Good on you for tattling on yourself, RP.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #96
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Pretty irritated to see pre-orders are shipping from the states (to canada). I assume we will be getting hit with duty. Would have been better off buying in store...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #97
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Pretty irritated to see pre-orders are shipping from the states (to canada). I assume we will be getting hit with duty. Would have been better off buying in store...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, my story about a man named; Jed.... I met my bud over lunch. He had the audacity(!) to bring his new toy with him. He knew my view on the matter of no rear-facing camera, etc...and then he lit up the bait. On went the '7', his fingers dancing over all the gems of Jelly Bean 4.1.1. as powered by that nVidia quad core. My eyes watered, my jaw dropped, and I excused myself early for to bomb over way past the speed limit....for the last one in the store and area, as found out by my twenty frantic-idiotic phone calls.

I hope that nobody that knows me, saw the 'happy dance' out to my car. Oh please....let nobody have seen me surrender all dignity over mere tech....lawd.

Came home, found that the Nexus had 90 percent in the juice-box...and the rest is history. First thing I did was to see if the stand-alone KOBO app was any good. It sure was! I entered my account, and it was only minutes before all189 books were placed upon the Nex. What performance you get....what performance!

Extremely satisfied. Yeah, I relented on no camera and memory expandability...but you sometimes have to give up a battle, to victor in the war. Like others, I'll just use my digital camera when anticipating a shot or two. As for the memory...I really have sort of stopped at the 1.3 GB load up. I have LOTS of memory left from my 16 GB model. Any books I buy from Google Play, I can have (with a setting on the Nexus 7) stay in the Cloud until I call it down. Or...you can have it downloaded and stay on your tablet. Your choice, and that is a very nice Google moment. You can also do that with movies, either the cloud, or a download. So, if you are not going to be near any Wi-Fi...you will not be stranded (airplane's...) for on-board content.

Another observation, because the display is HD (720p), the text looks very small on normal size font. Actually, to get the text to the native size of the Vox, you have to put it on VERY LARGE font sizing. That shows you how densely packed the pixels are. Gorgeous colors and clarity for all upon the screen, I might add. For my eyes, I did crank up the size of the fonts to what the Vox had. You should see how rock solid and clear the fonts are at ANY size upon this screen.....

When you get yours, have fun. I can't imagine how you would not.... (large silly smile...)

R.P.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 07-18-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #98
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Good on you for tattling on yourself, RP.
----------------------------------------------------

Taming, lol...I had to. Part of my moral fabric. One can hold an opinion, as long as one can also show their shift of opinion if that indeed happens, lol.

In my case, it evidently did, ROTFLMBO!

Cheers,

A Nexus 7 Groupie
Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #99
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
The KOBO app on this tablet will blow you away. There is no waiting for hardware to enact what you want to do. Zoom...Zip....Zammmmmmmm. The pages are updated, downloads are whoosh...and reading interaction is as smooth as butter. The app blends the best of what you see on your Vox, as well as the desk-top 3.0 Oh...btw, did I mention faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast action on the software? Oh yeah....

R.P.
I am considering this tablet sometime in the coming months, one thing that would be nice for me is

Does the Kobo app come with any widgets, I like the mosaic on my home screen for quick access to the latest 3 books, is this available?

Android app on my phone doesnt, but as this is a tablet wondered if it does
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #100
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
I am considering this tablet sometime in the coming months, one thing that would be nice for me is

Does the Kobo app come with any widgets, I like the mosaic on my home screen for quick access to the latest 3 books, is this available?

Android app on my phone doesnt, but as this is a tablet wondered if it does
------------------------------------------------------

Not that I've seen, Paul. The Droid app very much looks like what you see when you fire up the desk-top. To get to the different views, books, previews, wish-list, etc, you merely flick your finger left or right. The Droid version does not have the many features (like many choices of fonts, etc) that the dedicated Vox does, but the clarity of the few general choices you have, work very well on the H.D. screen. On the Nexus, everything is instantaneous. I'm not going to put the Vox into a bedside drawer, but if you compare the two....the Vox is stone-age compared to what the '7' brings into play. Oh...I did download a pinball game, that could not be played on the Vox (too slow, too jerky) and with the great stereo (and loud!) speakers on the '7', it was like I was playing the pinball on a dedicated game console. Smooth animation and sounds as silk. Paul...this is a powerhouse, and for the $249.00 US/$259.00 CA price on the 16 GB model...performance wise, it's a steal. It will be interesting to see what Kobo's response might be into the future. But, perhaps there really won't be. As soon as you install the Droid Kobo app..and fire up your account, you have all your books, magazines, everything that was 'Kobo' now is also on your Nexus 7. So,...where you take the Nexus...so too, does your 'virtual Vox' go....

Edit: I'd imagine that you can side-load custom fonts and put then in the right location for to be seen by the Kobo Droid App. That might be an option for a greater, more personal choice of font rendering. The one important feature that the Kobo Droid App does have, is the SEPIA look besides Classic and Night Mode. I use the Sepia exclusively on the Vox, as most easy on the eyes...

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 07-18-2012 at 05:53 AM. Reason: added content
Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #101
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many Thanks for detailed description of things, this is high on my list of things I want to get

just hope google can sort out the additional services for UK users soon (music, tv, magazines), although I sideload this things onto my Vox now so not much different.

off to do some more reading on the nexus
Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #102
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Many Thanks for detailed description of things, this is high on my list of things I want to get

just hope google can sort out the additional services for UK users soon (music, tv, magazines), although I sideload this things onto my Vox now so not much different.

off to do some more reading on the nexus
--------------------------------

Paul, I had a few moments today to keep setting up the Nex. Yes, there are two KOBO book widgets...the large, and the small. No mosaic. I have the large single current-reading book widge on my home screen. Very 'Vox-ish'

Since my last full battery top-up, I have been running the Nex for 3 hours, and only the top 'positive post' portion of the battery icon is showing discharge. Amazing in a 7 inch size format. Asus rocks!

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 07-18-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #103
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Since my last full battery top-up, I have been running the Nex for 3 hours, and only the top 'positive post' portion of the battery icon is showing discharge. Amazing in a 7 inch size format. Asus rocks!
this is about my only issue with the vox, about to plug it in for the second charge of the day

quad core vox would be nice

going to check a few stores at weekend, see if they have a nexus i can have a play with
Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #104
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
this is about my only issue with the vox, about to plug it in for the second charge of the day

quad core vox would be nice

going to check a few stores at weekend, see if they have a nexus i can have a play with
------------------------------------------------------

Oh...er...I wouldn't do that if I were you. That was my downfall.....

Be warned....and ah...bring cash or plastic with you, and save yourself some gas having to go home to get either....lol!

Be warned, the Nexus 7 doesn't take prisoners....
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #105
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
...it is truly the Asus MeMo 370T in all other regards.
You can either charge the battery via your USB port on your computer.
Very nice. And it has Bluetooth so I can use it with my vehicle OBDII Bluetooth device.

However as I dislike Google spying on me I think I'll wait until the Asus MeMo 370T is available.

Thanks for the lengthy review.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote