Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Buttons no longer work. RMA time?

The buttons on my beloved 950 have been flaky for a while, particularly the Home button, but today they stopped working entirely. Everything else works, including the touch screen, so I am using the stylus and touch screen options to clumsily navigate menus, store, et cetera. I can add and remove books from it using Calibre, so basically only the buttons are shot. Everything else is good.

Is it worth my time to try a hard reset, or should I contact Sony and start the begging and hoop jumping for a warranty exchange?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
A hard reset is not very time consuming.

Hold 'left page' and 'size' buttons while rebooting... all there is to it.

It's worth a try, although it's likely to be a hardware problem.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It's worth a try to do a hard reset. Sorry to hear about your problems. I have read of the silver chipping off the buttons, but I can't recall anyone posting that the buttons aren't working.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The silver chipped off the buttons the first week.

I'll back up everything on the reader and try a hard reset tomorrow. The buttons are starting to respond, a little at a time, so I'm cautiously optimistic....

EDIT:
To clarify, the buttons needed for a hard reset are the most unreliable ones, but I'll try it anyway.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 10-11-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
The silver chipped off the buttons the first week.

I'll back up everything on the reader and try a hard reset tomorrow. The buttons are starting to respond, a little at a time, so I'm cautiously optimistic....

EDIT:
To clarify, the buttons needed for a hard reset are the most unreliable ones, but I'll try it anyway.
Doh, that makes sense - didn't realize you are missing the buttons you need.

One option might be trying to install PRS+ and reprogramming the buttons. It's a long shot, but you never know... It take 5-10 min to install it.

Of course, UNINSTALLING PRS+ might also be advisable, in case you have it installed.

The silver chipped off my buttons first days as well. The gray strip ABOVE the buttons survived a bit longer, but most of it is gone now. I was hoping the DecalGirl skin would cover it (as it does on the 350), but no, the skin for the 950 does not...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

I don't have PRS+ installed, and with the reader being flaky now, I'm reluctant to install it.

I played with the 950 a bit last night. The buttons started to work, sort of. Options and Home have several seconds' delay when I press them, and sometimes when I press Home the 950 thinks I pressed Size. The page turn buttons won't turn the pages, but instead bring up the PDF zoom over-lay. Swiping on the touchscreen turns the page 50% of the time. I did a soft reset, and that makes the buttons act normal for about half an hour, then it makes them go back to the weirdness again. The weird "reacts but not the way it should" behavior is consistent, by the way.

Even more odd, the 950 doesn't remember which book I'm reading, and where in the book I am. If I was at page 55, and open the book again, it starts at page 1. However, the android app on my phone knows I'm on page 55, and offers to go straight there.

I'm going to back up everything on the 950 tonight and do a hard reset, but if that doesn't work, I'll probably end up contacting Sony for an RMA. As my husband pointed out, I might as well take advantage of the warranty while I have it.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
A friend of mine has a 650 on which had problems similar to yours ScalyFreak. The buttons started to get non-responsive--and got worse and worse. Finally they quit responding at all. By then she couldn't do a hard reset because the buttons weren't working. She was actually able to read on it for a while--could turn pages with screen swipes. When she wanted to change books, she'd do a soft reset, which would bring her to the home screen where she could then navigate by the touch screen to the book she wanted to read. Couldn't change font sizes or any of the other options that required buttons though. Finally, she sent it back in to Sony. She sent it last week and has to wait for it to arrive at the Sony center before they'll send her out a new one. Hopefully she'll get it this week. (She's had it for a little over a year, but luckily purchased the extended 2 year warranty when she bought the 650.)

Good luck with yours!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

So if my 950 has the same problem that friend's 650 did, it's only going to get worse until it fails completely. Considering my button problem started out very minor but has gotten worse over time, that makes sense. I'm still doing a hard reset when I get home from work tonight (hope is the last thing that leaves us!) but it's more and more looking like a warranty replacement will be necessary.

EDIT:
Change of plans. While I was surfing Sony's website, looking for general info on warranty plans and procedures I found a link to "chat with an agent", so I opened a chat with a support agent and described the button problem, and that a soft reset didn't fix it. The chat agent said the reader needs to be sent in for exchange/repair, and gave me a phone number to call, since you can only use the form on the website if you still have your receipt. So I'll call them when I get home from work, and find out what I need to do to have this replaced.

If anyone has sent in their reader, and have a good idea on how to remove all personal info from it, I'd appreciate suggestions. I'm thinking a basic file shredder should take care of the books on it, but I'm concerned about my account info and wifi access info. I assume I need to de-authorize it in my Sony Reader account as well?

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 10-11-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

UPDATE:

So I called Sony. The person on the other end was able to find the chat transcript from earlier today by using my email address, and then said that if I was willing to give him a credit card they will send me a replacement right away. I'll get my replacement 950 in 3-5 business days, and in the box will be a shipping label for returning the broken reader. As long as I return my broken one in 15 days, the credit card won't be charged.

I asked for clarification a couple of times to make sure I got everything right, but according to the Sony rep I should have my replacement reader by this weekend. Sending my broken one back within the time limit will not be a problem, I will get that done as soon as humanly possible.

The only thing that makes me feel a bit screwed over is that the replacement is what the rep called "reconditioned" so it only has a 3 month warranty. At the same time, I'd much rather have that, then a 950 that can't turn pages! All in all, things are looking up. If this actually works out and comes through, I may have to revise my opinion of Sony's customer service.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm glad it worked out ok, and you will have a replacement delivered soon. On the positive, at least they still have 950's to provide even if it is "reconditioned".
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It doesn't sound like a 'mechanical' fault with the buttons themselves, but rather what processes the various presses.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I'm glad it worked out ok, and you will have a replacement delivered soon. On the positive, at least they still have 950's to provide even if it is "reconditioned".
I was a bit worried about that actually. I'm very much looking forward to a replacement 950, rather than a T1.

It's funny, one of the things that bothers me the most is that I'll have to peel off my DecalGirl skin, and won't be able to reapply it to the replacement. I will try to live without a skin... Hopefully the glare won't be too bad.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

That's a disappointment. You could always order another skin, even though it's an annoying expense.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
That's a disappointment. You could always order another skin, even though it's an annoying expense.
It is a bit annoying. On the other hand I was planning to get a skin for my Touchpad, so I might just add a new 950 skin to that order.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

UPDATE 2:

It's here! It's here!

I called on Tuesday evening, and apparently Sony shipped out the replacement yesterday, with FedEx over-night delivery. My husband works from home every day, so he was there to sign for the delivery and he sent me a text to let me know the new reader arrived. There is a FedEx shipping label in the box, and a card with a "we're very sorry that your product required service. please let us send you a survey a week from now on how well we handled this"-message.

The replacement 950 has a sticker on the back that says "refurbished" but it looks brand new. Hopefully whoever sent it back sent it back unopened. It came with a USB cable, but I'll send that back since they probably expect a cable back and I don't want a charge on my card for something as cheap as a USB cable... I know my old cable works, so I'm keeping it.

The "new" 950 has been plugged into the wall charger for a couple of hours and I just recently switched it on to go through the set-up process. It connected to my wifi no problem, and wanted to do a system update, so I told it to go ahead.

The entire media directory from my broken 950 was already backed up to my laptop, so I manually dragged all of that onto the replacement reader (after authorizing it in the Reader software), and I'm now up and running. My entire library is on my "new" 950, and Iobit's File Shredder is deleting my personal info from my old one before I send it in.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how easy and non-painful this has been. My opinion on Sony's customer service is officially revised and I have a positive impression of them now. Old broken reader will go be dropped off at local FedEx store tomorrow.