Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #31
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I just want Mobi support with folder view. I do not have anything with DRM, never will.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #32
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Since it does not support Mobipocket, naturally it does not support Mobipocket dictionaries.
Thanks. Guess I'll wait for next year then.

I'm looking for a reader with dictionary+epub support, but with a screen that is at least as good as the PRS 505.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #33
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I believe I've *FINALLY* grasped Bookeen's internal definition of the phrase "soon" -- NOT TODAY!!! (Repeat this mantra as needed - IOW, upon the start of every business day.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #34
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfranco View Post
Hello,
For contractual reasons beyond Bookeen, a device cannot support two proprietary formats simultaneously.
You can cons for changing from one to another by updating your Cybook and this as many times as you want.
Sincerely,
Bookeen team
Since when is ePub a proprietary format?!

1.) There ARE two proprietary formats on the Cybook - each Cybook supports Mobi AND PDF (which certainly IS a proprietary format).
2.) The suggestion that users can change from one to the other FW version as often as they like must be some sort of bad joke...
3.) And it certainly is no explanation why the Mobi version cannot support non-DRM ePub!

BTW: I know that the must've been thinking of two protected/secured formats and they've simply no interest/time/money etc. to add new non-DRM formats...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #35
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post

1.) There ARE two proprietary formats on the Cybook - each Cybook supports Mobi AND PDF (which certainly IS a proprietary format).
PDF is not a proprietary format. It is an ISO standard. Adobe will even license their patents related to PDF for free to software that implements the PDF spec. However, Adobe's DRM scheme for ePub and PDF is proprietary.

Quote:
3.) And it certainly is no explanation why the Mobi version cannot support non-DRM ePub!
Adobe's SDK is used for the ePub verson and the Mobipocket SDK is used for the mobi one. These most likely either don't play well together or Adobe's cannot have the DRM separated in a way that satisfies the Mobipocket license.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #36
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:

2.) The suggestion that users can change from one to the other FW version as often as they like must be some sort of bad joke...

BTW: I know that the must've been thinking of two protected/secured formats and they've simply no interest/time/money etc. to add new non-DRM formats...
ePub is open but the DRM is proprietory so what they mean is that there cannot be 2 proprietory DRMs on the device. PDF would only be a problem if it's DRMed...

I assume that their reasoning is that ePub support without DRM support would not help all those people who want to buy books and for those ePub you have without DRM you can convert them. Not necessarily a logic I agree with but I have to admit that from an economical point of view it's somewhat reasonable. They have the Adobe SDK for ePub and would have to get another application for reading DRM-free ePub. That means someone would have to adapt that application and integrate it into the FW. That's a bit of work and I get the impression that their ressources in that area are a little limited - meaning if they would add that it means waiting another year for the release...
While I would have liked to have both formats available (now I have to convert everything back I already converted to mobi) I'd rather have ePub, folder view and PDF improvements now than wait any longer.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
So it looks like I'll have to buy an extra SD card.

One for the mobi-firmware, the other for the ePub one. I can de_DRM and convert all my mobi-books but then I'll loose my dictionary.
So it'll be normaly mobi and only ePub when there is no mobi available (eg the books by Joe Abbercrombie).

OK I can live with that. When the new firmware is (rather) bug-free than I'm a happy puppy
What I've done (thanks to a suggestion by tompe!) is install my Mobi dictionary on Mobi Reader on my Smartphone. The Windows Mobile version of Mobi Reader lets you look words up in a dictionary (ie type them in).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Mobi is proprietary, but for the last couple of years PDF has been an ISO standard (ISO 32000-1).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #39
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
What's kind of strange is that after letting us wait for ages without any official statement (claiming that due to their bad experience with giving out dates they will no longer do that) now they announce the FW yet another time and have nothing better to offer than "soon".

That the firmware will be released "soon" (whether that means a few days or months) was already known. If after missing the last deadline by half a year they have nothing better than "soon" they should have kept it to themselves. It's just pouring more oil onto the flames...
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #40
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
If after missing the last deadline by half a year they have nothing better than "soon" they should have kept it to themselves.
No, I am happy to hear something from Bookeen.
"We are working on it" is much better than silence.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:52 AM   #41
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
ePub is open but the DRM is proprietory so what they mean is that there cannot be 2 proprietory DRMs on the device. PDF would only be a problem if it's DRMed...

While I would have liked to have both formats available (now I have to convert everything back I already converted to mobi) I'd rather have ePub, folder view and PDF improvements now than wait any longer.
Their explanation still does not make any sense. I have support for non DRMd Mobipocket and DRMd ePub and folders on my ECO reader. So it is possible to have ePub and Mobipocket as long as only one of them is DRMd.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:47 AM   #42
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
So am I reading the blog correctly? The mobi-version will not get the PDF-enhancements?

Are those part of the ADE-deal?
Yeap.
That one more reason that made the choice to switch to ePub a easy for me
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #43
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Interesting none of this information was issued through the e-mail updates option (unless mine has gone missing).
At long last an announcement, which is obviously better than the previous situation with rumour and counter rumour.
No timescale is unfortunate.

As to the options! - All I really need from the upgrade is a better library support, that needs to be reliable and does not introduce bugs - if there is that then I shall upgrade, otherwise I shall stay as I am - with a totally stable machine.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #44
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Their explanation still does not make any sense. I have support for non DRMd Mobipocket and DRMd ePub and folders on my ECO reader.
How good is the mobipocket support, however? I bet it does not use mobipocket's SDK, but rather something like FBReader... Even if the quality is good enough, implementing it would mean more work for Bookeen, and we don't want that, do we?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #45
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
HarryT mentioned how the Mobi-support works on the other devices previously.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quad-posting, whining