Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
newbi
newbi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Mobi hypertext link not working

If I view the epub version in Calibre and click on an underscored link, it takes me to the correct place in the book. When Calbre converts it to mobi and I view it in Calibre, clicking on the same link does nothing. Am I missing something here?
newbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Note that when you 'view' a mobi book in Calibre it first internally converts it to ePub as the Calibre viewer is really only an ePub file viewer. It is not, therefore, indicative of how a reader that can natively handle the mobi format will behave.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
newbi

itimpi, good input and thank you. OK, maybe I've misunderstood something here but when I view the book in Calibre and select the mobi format, it really doesn't read it without conversion? When I load the mobi to my kindle, should I be able to use the links? how? (humble apologies for my newbi questions)
Old 11-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Yes - when you select a mobi book in Calibre and select to view it then it IS internally converted to ePub from mobi before opening the result in the Calibre viewer.

As to whether the book in question will work correctly on a real Kindle I cannot say. If you want to check then you can check by viewing it in the Kindle previewer which should accurately emulate a real Kindle. Alternatively you can use the Kindle reader app for your PC/Mac which while not being as accurate at emulating real Kindle hardware should still give you a good idea as it understands the mobi format without doing a conversion.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I would suggest that you download and install Kindle Previewer ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621 ) and use it to preview your MOBI conversions. Kindle Previewer is designed to emulate the Kindle devices and the Kindle for iOS apps (iPhone & iPad).

If you are using Windows, do the following after installing Kindle Previewer:
  1. Open any folder window and use the Folder Options applet found on the Tools menu. On the File Types tab scroll down to find MOBI and use the Change button to set Kindle Previewer as the app associated with the Open function. This makes Kindle Previewer the defaut app for viewing MOBI files. I would suggest repeating this for AZW and PRC as well.
  2. In calibre's Preferences go to the Behavior sections and uncheck MOBI (and AZW & PRC) in the right column labled "Use internal viewer for:".

Now when you try to view a MOBI file in calibre the Kindle Previewer will be used instead of calibre's internal viewer. The calibre viewer is good, but Kindle Previewer is a much better tool for the purpose of previewing the books behavior on a Kindle device.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
newbi

itimpi & dwig, thank you very much for your responses and apologies for the delayed response - distractions (work!). I'll get the kindle previewer and see how that works out.