Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I don't know about dispariging something we once liked.

As others have said - each to their own, but having had many such devices I simply could never get myself to read on them. The short line length being a big problem, but others as well. So... I've never liked these other options.

Biggest difference between eInk and these other devices (for me) is that I'll use the eink devices, and I wouldn't the others. And it's not that I didn't love those devices, but not for reading large amounts of text. In the same way, I am likely to look something up on Wikipedia or anywhere else on my iPhone before I use my Kindle for anything BUT reading as I find it does a poor job of these other things compared to my iPhone.

People have different needs... I don't think, however, that we all just instantly poopoo what was previously around for no good reason besides having something better.

As Nat said, I imagine we'll look at the Kindle and like devices as very primitive (very soon, I imagine!) at some point, but for now it seems leaps and bounds better than anything I've ever used.

Though, I admit... using my old tabletPC had some nice advantages, but being 7-8 lbs certainly cut into that.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I have a Nokia N800 and my wife uses a Nokia 770. We use them almost exclusively as ebook readers. I don't see an e-ink device in our future unless price significantly drops.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #18
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
interesting: What software do you use for reading ebooks on your Nokia tablets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I have a Nokia N800 and my wife uses a Nokia 770. We use them almost exclusively as ebook readers. I don't see an e-ink device in our future unless price significantly drops.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #19
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
I started reading e-reading about 8 years ago when my office issued me a monochrome Palm VII (with a stunning 4 megs of available memory, IIRC). At that time, I think I used iSilo as my primary reading device In 2003, I migrated to a Dell Axim x5 and started using the Microsoft Reader program. I eventually got frustrated with Microsoft Reader's large margins and cumbersome memory usage. I tried Mobipocket and eReader, but eventually settled on the excellent uBook as my reader of choice. A couple of years ago, I switched to an iPaq hx2755 and tried out Mobipocket again and found it had greatly improved in both e-book creation and usability, and now it's my reader of choice, particularly since uBook is no longer completely free (I haven't bothered to buy a license, so I just deal with the nag screen).

I now read almost exclusively on my Pocket PC. Furthermore, I love the flexibility of the Pocket PC versus a dedicated e-ink device - I can watch movies, listen to music, browse the internet, check e-mail, play games, and access my home media and TV through Orb. My pocket pc is my precious....
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
interesting: What software do you use for reading ebooks on your Nokia tablets?
FBReader. It's under active development and works quite well.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #21
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I use a ppc with ubook and have no plans to migrate to an e-ink device
unless an e-ink phone with ubook comes along
Ubook reads many fromats natively so I dont have to convert books plus
I prefer a multi use device
I dont want to carry around 2 or more devices
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #22
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. I like Ubook as well.>Unfortunately, The interface on my Acer does not work well with Ubook, Also It Freezes more often than my mobipocket. I do like Ubooks variety of formats that it accepts. I find mobicreator is perfect for most of my ebooks that I put on my Acer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I use a ppc with ubook and have no plans to migrate to an e-ink device
unless an e-ink phone with ubook comes along
Ubook reads many fromats natively so I dont have to convert books plus
I prefer a multi use device
I dont want to carry around 2 or more devices
Old 03-09-2008, 03:32 AM   #23
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have a Sony Reader but come from years of reading on PDA devices. I used the Sony Reader a lot the first year but found myself moving back towards pocket sized devices. The "next page" buttons also started to act up and don't function reliably anymore. Now I haven't powered up my Reader in months and don't miss it. I've decided that for me the priorities are:

1. Pocketability-- I don't want to carry a big device
2. Backlight-- For some reason my place just isn't set up for convenient light for an eink device and the Sony Reader screen doesn't work for long in direct sunlight.
3. Battery Life-- Need at least 6+ hours of battery for long plane flights
4. Screen Resolution/Size-- I don't need a lot of text on the screen as I don't mind clicking next repeatedly. It is important to me to be able to increase the size of the text until it is very big to reduce eye strain.

Of the devices I still have:

My Tmobile Dash has a screen that has good resolution but the screen size is a little too small and it isn't very readable outdoors. The battery also drains fast with the screen on.

My old Palm T3 screen was just about right and it is the most comfortable to hold but the battery life was poor and it wasn't very visible outdoors.

My Sony Reader has great battery life but is too big to carry with me and I find lighting the screen difficult. I also find the font size even on the biggest setting to often be too small. I still pack this when traveling as a backup.

My HP TC1100 tablet pc is too heavy to hold comfortably and has poor battery life.

My iPod Touch has a great screen, excellent outdoor readability and good battery life but the software is still missing many features and getting recent books can be difficult. It also isn't the most comfortable device to hold-- very slippery, too thin, with sharp corners on the front.

Right now my device of choice is a jailbreaked iPod Touch mostly for the convergence of features. I'm hoping Mobipocket or eReader will produce software for the SDK in June. If so I'll probably move on to the next version of the iPhone as my reading platform.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #24
hidari
MR Drone

Well,

Thanx for your views on the subject. I thought there would be someone out there not happy with the bigger devices. I find that the whole notion of having to be the size of a paperback functional on one level. Many people are used to reading a book of paperback. However, The digital age changes all that. Your first point, I find the most important. Pocetablility. Your iphone and my Acer are about the same size screenwise. I think they are both good as readers and having a back light is important for many readers. I find the ability to change the size of the text with Mobipocket a great benefit. I hope that your iphone gets mobipocket in the near future.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #25
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
LVD of lBook fame announced a 5" eInk device with touch screen.
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=135543#135543
Promised to be under $200 retail.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #26
hidari
MR Drone

Wow. Thanx for the link. It looks interesting. Should be on the market soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Old 03-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #27
minimalposter
minimalposter began at the beginning.

Device: TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Interesting. Any English translation or links for those enough mundane one language readers
minimalposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Scroll down about halfway:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ial%26hs%3DIlP
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #29
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I read for a couple of years on a Palm and then a Pocket PC. My first dedicated e-book reader was the ebookwise (which I still have). Then I upgraded to the Sony Reader and now I have a Kindle. I'm one of those that likes the bigger size and likes the fact that it doesn't have lots of bells and whistles.

I don't want to be called, reminded of an appointment or listen to music on my e-reader. I like the "paperback" size because I don't do any traveling or anything, so it's very comfortable for me to read on.

I enjoy my reading experience much more as a result of the e-ink experience. But I can see where your are coming from--this site is pretty e-ink focused. That's probably because the site is devoted to mobile reading and e-ink is something that makes it much easier for the majority of people who are jumping on the e-book wagon.

I will say that I sometimes miss uBook though, that's an awesome little ebook reading program. You can pretty much read anything with that.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #30
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I haven't the time to go over all the pages on this Russian-language site, but you should all be aware that one commenter requested a sketch of the device and was told that Sonka (whoever that is) couldn't or wouldn't produce it, which makes me doubt that this device will soon be available. And the site leader said he was going to Taiwan to discuss the screens with PVI - PVI can't make the screens it could be selling now, how is it going to make more for this company?
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote