Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Blank spaces on the side of cover when importing from epubs

when I add epubs to my library the cover files have white spaces on the sides.
But when I look inside the epub themselves the cover.jpg does not have white space. Is their a way that calibre would import the cover.jpg directly instead of making a new file with white space on the sides.
The same white space is also their when I read the epub in my v3 Hanlin.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
when I add epubs to my library the cover files have white spaces on the sides.
But when I look inside the epub themselves the cover.jpg does not have white space. Is their a way that calibre would import the cover.jpg directly instead of making a new file with white space on the sides.
The same white space is also their when I read the epub in my v3 Hanlin.
Calibre doesn't add white spaces to the sides of covers or change the cover at all. I have over 1100 epubs in my library most all of them converted to epub via Calibre and I don't have a single cover image that has white spaces on the side.

Occasionally the cover downloaded via Amazon or Google would come with white spaces that were used on the web site. I would always change to an image that didn't have these added spaces. Calibre doesn't add anything to the cover image.

Calibre does add a attribute that ensures the cover has 100% height when added to the epub. If the aspect ratio of the cover image doesn't match your reader then it is possible for it to look like there are white spaces on the sides.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try importing one of the epubs back into the library. now the ebook you have added would have white spaces at the side of the cover. When you use the cover browser.
I am not talking about converting. I am talking about importing.
I lost my calibre database now I am remaking my library so am adding all the epubs I made with calibre back into the library and all the the epubs I import have white spaces in the cover files.
I don't know scripting or I could have made a script to update cover.jpg in each calibre ebook folder with the cover.jpg inside the epub if anyone can help me do that I would be grateful
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
This was discussed just the other day in another post have a read of my answer there..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72902
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard

I know I can take a cover file and put it into the folder will update but I dont want to do that for a few hundred books.
The cover files inside the epub dont have white spaces I just dont understand why calibre has to add them while importing. It can just get the cover images as they are instead of how they look inside the epub.
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is a limitation of the epub format. It insists on having a cover embedded in a html file. When converting this cover, to an image, you will get either white boders or a distorted image if the aspect ratio of the image is different from that of the viewer used to render the title page.

I've added a workaround for the next release that will detect calibre created title pages and extract the cover from them, so you at least wont have this problem with calibre created epubs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is a limitation of the epub format. It insists on having a cover embedded in a html file. When converting this cover, to an image, you will get either white boders or a distorted image if the aspect ratio of the image is different from that of the viewer used to render the title page.

I've added a workaround for the next release that will detect calibre created title pages and extract the cover from them, so you at least wont have this problem with calibre created epubs.

I will wait for the update before adding calibre created epubs back into my library.