Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #46
cedricp
Research User
cedricp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Sorry for that.

I mean, I've noticed that the reader does not use the same directory structure and file name for the database on the SD-card and in the internal memory. So I've updated my script to take this aspect into account.

Also, the reader keeps in the database any file that was seen, or use to have some markup (can be highlight, freehand annotation, or corner marking associated with some text). I've modified the script to only display the file for which there is active markup, and to display any text associated with a corner marking.

All this is still strongly influenced with the way I use my reader, but I hope it will be useful.

Ideally, someone could do a small gui using wxpython, and create a windows executable using py2exe. I'm sure this would help a lot the windows users here.

Cheers
cedricp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #47
greenhorn
greenhorn began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricp View Post
Ideally, someone could do a small gui using wxpython, and create a windows executable using py2exe. I'm sure this would help a lot the windows users here.
That would be awesome!! (whatever a "gui" is... )
I still haven't gotten the script to work. (Windows Vista)

Or does anyone have an idea how to get it to work?

I'll just post my problem again... Thanks!

Quote:
I've installed Python, opened up the Windows command line, typed cmd, then typed into the "black window" : C:\a\annot.py F:/Reader

and what happens is:
File "C:\a\annot.py", line 155
print "Annotations:"

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

is this at all what I'm supposed to do?

As I wasn't sure I also tried typing "C:\a\annot.py F:/Reader " directly into the command line.... The "black window" appeared for a really short time and apart from that I couldn't figure out what / if something happened.

... What exactly is supposed to be happening, anyway? I was kind of expecting to find a jarnal - file somewhere...
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #48
2010honeypot
2010honeypot began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
That would be awesome!! (whatever a "gui" is... )
I still haven't gotten the script to work. (Windows Vista)

Or does anyone have an idea how to get it to work?

I'll just post my problem again... Thanks!

Three things:
1. make sure python.exe is in your path. To check, open cmd (black window) again and type python [enter]. If you see a greeting with >>>, you're good, and you can exit either by typing exit() [enter] or just closing the window. If not, it will say "bad command or file name" and you have some work to do.
2. you need to install pyPdf. cedricp posted a link, you'll need to get it from there. if there's an installer exe, run that and you're good. if not, download the win32 archive (or zip), unzip it, and run python setup.py install
3. if step 1 and 2 ok, run python C:\a\annot.py F:/Reader

If you don't give the right path to the reader database directory, cedricp's program will tell you, and you can fudge around with the paths.

Last edited by 2010honeypot; 02-02-2010 at 11:39 PM.
2010honeypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #49
jjonas
jjonas began at the beginning.

Hi,

I just wanted to thank cedricp for the script he has written, it's just the thing that I needed!
jjonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #50
ravidavi
ravidavi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch (PRS-600)
Use on MacOS 10.5

Hey all,

I just got the 600, and much to my dismay handwritten notes on PDF documents can't be easily sync'd to my Mac! So after much searching I found this thread, which has been invaluable thanks to cedric. I finally got everything working on my Mac running OSX 10.5.8 (and hence should work on 10.6 too).

First off, you need to get pyPdf from http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-45619.html. Extract the zip file, and using Terminal go into the pyPdf-1.12 folder. Run the command "python setup.py install" and pyPdf will be installed on your computer. Now you can delete the downloaded and extracted files/folders.

Second, get cedric's annot.py script. TO CEDRIC: when running this script, I got the error "Exception: file has not been decrypted." Apparently on the Mac, the annotation file appears to be encrypted. So as a fix I added the following code after line 191:
Code:
if infile.getIsEncrypted() == True:
    infile.decrypt('')
This should work on all platforms since it first checks whether nullstring decryption is necessary or not.

Finally, run the script. Assuming your reader is connected, there should be 2 disks that show up on your desktop: LAUNCHER (contains the sony library installer) and Untitled (contains books and annotations). So in terminal, go to where you have the script saved, and type "./annot.py /Volumes/Untitled". Hopefully everything works, and you get the main menu which gives you a list of all the annotations. Choose the one you want and you should get a .jaj file (in the same directory as the script I think) that you can open up with Jarnal.

The only issue I have is, my annotations aren't quite lined up correctly in Jarnal, and they show up as red instead of black. Anyone know of a simple fix to this?

Thanks again for all your work!
Ravi
ravidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #51
ravidavi

Talking Annotations are placed correctly.

OK nevermind about my comment about annotations being incorrectly placed. It turned out that I made the annotation (on the reader) in a location that was off the pdf's margins, so obviously that wouldn't be placed correctly on the actual pdf.

The red annotations I can live with ... actually makes it more readable on a pdf file.

A note to future PDF users: If your pdf is in landscape format, then the sony library software will simply embed that within a portrait format pdf so it will greatly reduce in size. If you simply rotate the pdf on your computer so that it is in portrait format, then it will look perfect on the reader!

Thanks,
Ravi
Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #52
2010honeypot
2010honeypot began at the beginning.

to change annotation color, search for the line

jarnalStyle = 'stroke="red" ...'

and change that to any standard color term or #hexcode
2010honeypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #53
spittet
spittet began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Hi Ravi,
Many thanks for your very clear explanations.

I ve followed them but I get this error :
Quote:
asd-2ownloads Simon$ ./annot.py /Volumes/READER
File "./annot.py", line 193
infile.decrypt('')
a small arrow appears under the second bracket

Thanks in advance,
Simon
spittet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #54
spittet
spittet began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravidavi View Post
Hey all,

I just got the 600, and much to my dismay handwritten notes on PDF documents can't be easily sync'd to my Mac! So after much searching I found this thread, which has been invaluable thanks to cedric. I finally got everything working on my Mac running OSX 10.5.8 (and hence should work on 10.6 too).

First off, you need to get pyPdf from http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-45619.html. Extract the zip file, and using Terminal go into the pyPdf-1.12 folder. Run the command "python setup.py install" and pyPdf will be installed on your computer. Now you can delete the downloaded and extracted files/folders.

Second, get cedric's annot.py script. TO CEDRIC: when running this script, I got the error "Exception: file has not been decrypted." Apparently on the Mac, the annotation file appears to be encrypted. So as a fix I added the following code after line 191:
Code:
    infile.decrypt('')
This should work on all platforms since it first checks whether nullstring decryption is necessary or not.

Finally, run the script. Assuming your reader is connected, there should be 2 disks that show up on your desktop: LAUNCHER (contains the sony library installer) and Untitled (contains books and annotations). So in terminal, go to where you have the script saved, and type "./annot.py /Volumes/Untitled". Hopefully everything works, and you get the main menu which gives you a list of all the annotations. Choose the one you want and you should get a .jaj file (in the same directory as the script I think) that you can open up with Jarnal.

The only issue I have is, my annotations aren't quite lined up correctly in Jarnal, and they show up as red instead of black. Anyone know of a simple fix to this?

Ravi
Hi Ravi,

asd-2ownloads Simon$ ./annot.py /Volumes/READER
File "./annot.py", line 193
infile.decrypt('')

Thanks in advance,
Simon
spittet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #55
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
I too am failing hard trying to get this going on Win...

In the CMD prompt I when I run
L:\annot.py M:/Reader

I get the syntax error Greenhorn did:
SyntaxError: invalid syntax (line 198, offset 22): 'print "Annotations:'"
... I get this if I run annot.py in the PyScripter as well

When I'm in the Python prompt and run
>>>L:\annot.py M:/Reader

I get this:
File "<stdin>", Line 1
L:\annot.py M:/Reader
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

So I don't think it is liking my :, but when I take them out I just get other syntax errors.

I am on WinXP x86, Python 3.1

Last edited by Waba; 03-12-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #56
stevet
Enthusiast
stevet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch
There hasn't been much mention of exporting the handwritten notes. Since most of my best ideas have always come when I'm NOT home or in the office, I've used napkins a lot! But the Sony PRS600 seems great for this. Now, now do I get the notes out and read them with something external, maybe even print them? In the reader on Database/Media/Notepads, there are several files with .note extensions that I assume are my notes. And I can copy them to the PC. So if that's them, I have the 'get them out" part ok. But how do I read them? Particularly since Sony Reader Library software doesn't work at all on my PC.

Steve
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #57
ravidavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittet View Post
Hi Ravi,

Thanks in advance,
Simon
Need info on what system you're running. The decrypt statement needs to be tabbed over from the if statement above it.

Try commenting out the if & decrypt statements (put a # sign at the beginning of both lines) and see if it works.

Ravi
Old 03-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #58
stevepowell99
stevepowell99 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 600 touch
where are the jaj files?

This sounds perfect, kudos.
I installed it on ubuntu karmic, just need to install python-pypdf first.
went to the directory where the script was, ran the script, made my selection, great!
Any way of exporting them all or do you have to select one by one?
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravidavi View Post
Hey all,

Code:
    infile.decrypt('')

Ravi
stevepowell99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:26 AM   #59
ravidavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepowell99 View Post
This sounds perfect, kudos.
I installed it on ubuntu karmic, just need to install python-pypdf first.
went to the directory where the script was, ran the script, made my selection, great!
Any way of exporting them all or do you have to select one by one?
Cheers!
The .jaj files should be in the same folder as the script. Otherwise search your system for them.

And sorry I dunno enough about python to answer your question about exporting all annotations.

Ravi
Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #60
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
Q1: Has anyone on a Windows system got this to work yet?

Q2: I have a Linux virtual machine, that unfortunately does not communicate with USB devices... If I were to manually copy the READER folder/drive to a local folder: could I run the annot.py, or must the device be connected?
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote