Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Several Kindle 3 KB's
A warning for Linux users: slow "Add Books", "Unknown" title and Author

If you find, when adding books in big numbers (happened to me with jobs of around 5000 titles) and you find that the adding process slows to a cwawl, and when finished you find that loads of books have come through with both Title and Author "Unknown", you will find that a possible (probable ?) problem is that your /var partition is 100% full, and Calivre cannot add data to /var/tmp/caxxxxxxxx.

Obvious solutions: Resize /var if possible, or work with smaller clumps of books.
rolgiati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved out of recipes

I don't think you will find anyplace in the documentation that advocates adding 5K books at a whack.

If the books did contain perfect metadata, doing a 1 or 2C at a time might be reasonable. Still you should probably take time to resolve any problems before processing the next batch.

If the books do NOT contain the metadata, Calibre throttles metadata lookup, being a good Net Citizen, as to not get banned from the nice folk that provide the metadata.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
rolgiati
Groupie
rolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the endrolgiati knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't think you will find anyplace in the documentation that advocates adding 5K books at a whack.
A thousand pardons, I had not found anything in the doc that indicated a limit to the quantity of books one could add in one go.

And anyroads I thought the information could be of help to other users who encountered the same problem...
Old 07-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolgiati View Post
A thousand pardons, I had not found anything in the doc that indicated a limit to the quantity of books one could add in one go.

And anyroads I thought the information could be of help to other users who encountered the same problem...
Not to worry (BTW there are More Windows users and Windows does not have a \var )

It is not so much a 'limit' as a realistic, typical usage, so not much time was spent. If you spend time here, you will see that most of the 'resource' issues are from those who shove multi-K books down the pipe at once.
Most add a few hundred to start and grow slowly.

I added a single format from the Baen CD's (1 CD at a time) and Calibre had no problems with 20-100 books at a time. Now days, I add 5 to 10 book when I buy the next 'Baen Bundle' ...Plus a few

BTW if you look at My Member Since date, that is when I started with Calibre and I have just reached 5K books (with formats) level. That was also when I got my first reader.

Take your time and read a few of those books.... They are not going away
Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
you will find that a possible (probable ?) problem is that your /var partition is 100% full, and Calivre cannot add data to /var/tmp/caxxxxxxxx.

Obvious solutions: Resize /var if possible, or work with smaller clumps of books.
Thank you for sharing your Linux experience and solution.

@theducks first let me say that I find your support of this forum and the community invaluable. You have literally helped thousands of folks with their calibre problems. Thank you.

Quote:
I haven't looked, but if the manual is neutral on the amount of adds at once why would you couch your statement in such a passive aggressive tone?

Instead of saying, "I don't think you will find anyplace in the documentation that advocates adding 5K books at a whack." try saying, in my experience ... xyz etc...

Many folks on here (including myself) have recently started falling into this type of seemingly condescending or passive aggressive answer without realizing they are putting the person in a defensive mode instead of simply helping the person.

Quote:
There isn't, but as you found out the larger the number the more resources you need allocated to the the task.

Quote:
It is helpful, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the community. Hopefully you will continue sharing your expertise in the future.

Quote:
(BTW there are More Windows users and Windows does not have a \var )
The thread title states "A warning for Linux users" ...

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-23-2013 at 10:03 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Dr Oh

I agree that the FAQ is very Quiet on how many.

My point was most users never process enough books at one time to ever need to worry about how many at one time

Quiet also does not imply 'Sky's the Limit'.

Most of my BIG Adds (Add from ISBN) have been in the 20 range, When I would Barcode scan my paper library. Then I would look what came in and fix the 'Unknown's' (Some of these books date from when I was on Forestal and needed something to read . 1 sea bag for books. Right?) then do another stack

There are just too many other variables for Kovid to publish 'A' hard limit on the number of books to import in 1 shot.
So the simple formula: You have problems? You are doing too many
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
So the simple formula: You have problems? You are doing too many
Very true.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Thank you for sharing your Linux experience and solution.
<snip>
It is helpful, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the community. Hopefully you will continue sharing your expertise in the future.
Thanks, I was beginning to feel as if I had farted in church...
Old 07-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
rolgiati
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Very true.
With due respect, your Worship, I have just proved it false, since in at least one case I have found how to solve the problem ;-3)