Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
[GUI Plugin] SmartEject

Have you ever added or deleted books from your calibre library, only to find that you forgot to add or delete them from your ebook device later when you connected it? Or ever just wanted a big, easy to click eject button on your toolbar?

That's what SmartEject does.

When you attach your device, you can have an eject button on your 'device connected' main toolbar. When you click it, it checks for duplicate, added or deleted books on the device and offers to show them to you if there are any.

Main Features of SmartEject Plugin:
  • Top level device eject button, suitable for main toolbar.
  • Check for duplicate books on device before ejecting.
  • Check for books in library, but not on device before ejecting.
  • Check for books on device, but not in library before ejecting.
  • Configure which checks to perform on a library-by-library basis.
  • Configure the searches to use to perform the checks on a library-by-library basis.

Special Notes:
  • Requires Calibre v2.85.1 or later.
  • With large or complex libraries, displaying the lists of dup/added/deleted books can be slow.

Languages:

This plugin has (at least partial) translations for:
  • Bulgarian
  • Catalan
  • Chinese (China)
  • Chinese (Hong Kong)
  • Dutch
  • Estonian
  • French
  • German
  • Greek
  • Italian
  • Malay
  • Norwegian Bokmål
  • Polish
  • Portuguese
  • Portuguese (Brazil)
  • Romanian
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Swedish
  • Turkish
  • Ukrainian
Checking Preferences > Searching > 'Limit the searched metadata' and setting the columns to search to 'title, authors, tags, series, publisher, comments, identifiers' (NOT any of my custom columns) speeds up the display searches for me a fair bit.

Installation Steps:
  1. Download the attached zip file and install the plugin/add to context menu or toolbar/restart Calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.

Version History:
Spoiler:

Version 2.5.0 - 09 May 2022
- Need to change dup search due to Calibre change to not search on punctuation.
- Add 'Stop wireless device connection' option.
- Update translations

Version 2.4.0 - 20 Jan 2022
- Update translations (from Transifex.com).
- Remove a bunch of dead code.
- Changes for upcoming Qt6 Calibre

Version 2.3.0 - 13 Jan 2020
- Update translations (from Transifex.com).
- Changes for Python3.
- Increase Calibre min to v2.85.1

Version 2.2.0 - 05 Jan 2019
- Update Translations
- Ignore SmartEject keyboard shortcut when no device connected.

Version 2.1.0 - 13 Mar 2018
Some translation updates.

Version 2.0.7 - 30 Jun 2017

Version 2.0.6 - 04 May 2016

Version 2.0.5 - 29 May 2015

Version 2.0.4 - 16 Mar 2015
Switch to github for source repository.
Normalize line endings on windows standard.

Version 2.0.3 - 17 Nov 2014
New translation for Catalan, courtesy of the volunteers at Transifex.
Set internal name to 'SmartEject'--you may need to re-add the plugin to toolbar, menu, etc.

Version 2.0.2 - 08 Sep 2014
New translation for German, courtesy of the volunteers at Transifex.

Version 2.0.1 - 19 Aug 2014
New translation for Greek, courtesy of the volunteers at Transifex.

Version 2.0.0 - 22 Jul 2014
Now supporting Qt5 and Calibre 2.0 (currently in beta).
Translations updates to Spanish, French, Swedish and Ukrainian and new translation Portuguese (Brazil), courtesy of the volunteers at Transifex.
Plugin zip file now uncompressed for performance per Kovid's recommendation.

Version 1.0.4 - 02 Jul 2014
Add Swedish & Ukrainian translations, courtesy of the volunteers at Transifex.

Version 1.0.3 - 22 Jan 2014
Add Spanish translation, courtesy of Terisa.

Version 1.0.2 - 11 Nov 2013
Allow for translation of plugin. Currently it has English and French (courtesy of Ptitprince).

Version 1.0.1 - 22 Jun 2013
Missed one place making SmartEject searches configurable.

Version 1.0.0 - 21 Jun 2013
Make searches configurable.

Version 0.1.0 - 05 Oct 2012
Initial public release.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SmartEject.zip (144.0 KB, 33597 views)

Last edited by JimmXinu; 05-09-2022 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Changes for upcoming Qt6 Calibre
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
I have several different reader apps on my Android tablet, and have, at times, loaded the same book into multiple app libraries. Would this app find them within the different libraries and allow me to selectively remove them from two while leaving it in the third? That's what I'm understanding from the description, but I've been known to misunderstand things now and then! If that's what this does, I love you even more than I did when you introduced the fanfic plug-in!!!!
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If calibre would see them as duplicates, yes.

SmartEject does three different searches:
  • Dups: From the Library, search ondevice:"("
  • Deleted: From each device location (Main, Card A & Card B), search inlibrary:False
  • Added: From the Library, search not ondevice:"~[a-z]"

My experience is that the dup search will find the same book in different places on my Android smart phone. I assume your Android tablet would work the same.

However, you might cause yourself problems with some reader apps if you just delete the files. Aldiko comes to mind as one that manages it's own library.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Aldiko is one of my apps, but I've also got Mantano, Moon+, FBReader, CoolReader, and at least one other. Tried and liked elements of each, and use them for different purposes at different times. I've just managed to load too many dupes into them and, as you obviously know, it clogs up my SD card with extra files.

You are one serious gem, my dear!! Can't wait to try this out. Thanks for another great reading tool.
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

FYI, checking Preferences > Searching > 'Limit the searched metadata' and setting the columns to search to 'title, authors, tags, series, publisher, comments, identifiers' (NOT any of my custom columns) speeds up the display searches for me a fair bit.

By rights, I wouldn't expect it to, since the searches SmartEject uses are all prefixed with a column.

The call to self.gui.library_view.model().db.search_getting_id s(...) is very very fast.

The call to self.gui.search.do_search() after self.gui.search.setEditText(...) is much slower. If do_search() doesn't do the same prefix optimization, that could explain the speed up.
Advert
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Jim, how about modifying the search:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Added: From the Library, search not ondevice:"~[a-z]"
To use
Quote:
formats:true not ondevice:"~[a-z]"
I have my entire DTB library catalogued in calibre, whether I have an e-copy or not, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so the SmartEject plugin always tells me I have books in the library that aren't on the device - and I can't put them on the device.

Personally, I'd like to be able to tell it formats:"=epub", but formats:true should work without affecting anybody negatively.

Last edited by auspex; 06-21-2013 at 03:32 PM.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Personally, I'd like to be able to tell it formats:"=epub", but formats:true should work without affecting anybody negatively.
Until somebody comes along who keeps books without any formats. I've heard of people doing that.

Try the attached version -- it allows you to configure the searches to your own taste. I expected somebody to ask for that feature months ago.

UPDATE Jun 22, 2013 Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 06-22-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Oh, now that's service above and beyond!!!!! And of course, as soon as I tried the search with my suggestion, I realized that it wasn't sufficient, as I have a number of books tagged "keep off kobo", which are explicitly not synced to my e-reader, so adding not tags:"=keep off kobo" was necessary for what I really wanted. And now it works perfectly! Thank you, very much.

I only just started using the plugin, and have only had an e-reader since September, so asking for a new feature seemed premature, but I figured asking to restrict it to "formats:true" was just a bugfix

Quote:
Until somebody comes along who keeps books without any formats. I've heard of people doing that.
but if it has no formats, you can't copy it to a device (at least not a Kobo):
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.35
WARNING: No suitable formats: Could not upload the following books to the device, as no suitable formats were found. Convert the book(s) to a format supported by your device first.
I only send epubs to my Kobo - but I have pdfs and various other e-formats, so using "formats:true" would still show lots of "books" I don't want on the reader, but the ones that have no associated, TXT, EPUB, RTF, DOC, PDF, MOBI... can't be transferred to a Kobo, at least (I can imagine there might be readers that will let you load the metadata without any 'data').
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Oh, now that's service above and beyond!!!!! And of course, as soon as I tried the search with my suggestion, I realized that it wasn't sufficient...
Which is exactly why I made it configurable instead--not that I thought you were wrong, but because you or somebody else would want something different.

Quote:
but if it has no formats, you can't copy it to a device (at least not a Kobo):
True--but it will still show up on the list of books not on the device with the default query.

Since this seems to be working for you, I'll go ahead and publish it for everybody.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Hello,

Could SmartEject be able to work with Reading List, to propose a sync if a list isn't empty? Or do you think that would be a job for Reading List?
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
Could SmartEject be able to work with Reading List, to propose a sync if a list isn't empty? Or do you think that would be a job for Reading List?
Good idea. Attached is a new version that does that. It works for me, but please give it a try and make sure it works for you, too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SmartEject.zip (11.7 KB, 651 views)
Old 10-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Seems to work for me as well. Thank you!
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Attached is a version of SmartEject with a first try at internationalization(i18) and localization(l10n) of a plugin.

I don't recommend using this version unless you're involved in the i18n/l10n effort.

UPDATE - Remove obsolete beta versions Nov 2, 2013

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-02-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 10-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Thanks for an excellent plugin. I came here with a request and realized that you actually added my request back in June. I just didn't realize the plugin was customizable. Is it possible to add a right-click or other dropdown context menu to the icon with customize as an option?

Thanks again, great work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Thanks for an excellent plugin. I came here with a request and realized that you actually added my request back in June. I just didn't realize the plugin was customizable. Is it possible to add a right-click or other dropdown context menu to the icon with customize as an option?
Glad you like it.

I hesitate to make it a drop down button with only one option on it. OTOH, a 'Run checks, but don't really eject' feature might be nice for testing configurations.

Tags
calibre, eject