Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
tsinghoo
tsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it istsinghoo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3
KindleVNC: A kindlet to view and control your remote PC desktop

I have written a kindlet entitled KindleVNC running as a VNC client on kindle. It supports common vnc protocol. It also supports mouse and keyboard control over the remote desktop.

You can download it from http://wifi001.com

With KindleVNC, you can make your kindle as an e-ink monitor of your PC. You can do whatever you do on your PC through kindle now.

Enjoy it.

Last edited by tsinghoo; 10-02-2011 at 05:54 AM.
tsinghoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
kind
kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you very much.

Last edited by kind; 10-02-2011 at 07:26 AM.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Wow, thanks for the app. Hope I can use without any error.

EDIT: Could you provide uninstalls also ?

I just try it with VNC Free Edition Viewer for Windows and worked perfect. Thanks again

Last edited by thomass; 10-02-2011 at 09:48 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Does it support any encryption?
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: e-ink monitor
Thank you!

Thanks so much, tsinghoo! Donation sent via PayPal. Works beautifully with the stock OS X VNC server (AKA "Screen Sharing"; defaults to port 5900). Though I can't imagine uninstalling it, I second the uninstaller request. A list of files installed/modified would be swell, too.
TinyApps.Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
is it possible to use it on Kindle 2?
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: e-ink monitor
@Rockets00: Here are the included installers:

update_ss_0.1_dxg_install.bin
update_ss_0.1_dxi_install.bin
update_ss_0.1_k2_install.bin
update_ss_0.1_k2i_install.bin
update_ss_0.1_k3g_install.bin
update_ss_0.1_k3gb_install.bin
update_ss_0.1_k3w_install.bin
TinyApps.Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Hey this is really cool. Thanks!

Holding shift is annoying, though. Is it possible to make a toggle script through lauchpad? Or just make it toggable as standard? Also, the mouse is still quite slow on accelerated, still.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 10-02-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
This looks great, but I don't want to make a one-time account just so I can download it. Can somebody attach it to a post here?

EDIT: Nevermind, I did it myself.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleVNC_0.1_install.zip (1.77 MB, 2552 views)

Last edited by Mario1up; 10-03-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
fau
fau began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg/k3
TinyApps.Org, how can i uninstall your program? %)
fau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I really like this application. Unfortunately, it doesn't work over 3G, which makes sense because you said you only have a Kindle with WiFi. The program crashes upon exit when using 3G, causing an automatic restart.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
@tsinghoo Thanks. Your VNC client is a great Kindlet implementation. It would be so nice if you could share the java sources.
I particularly liked 1) the virtual keyboard 2) using CTRL to toggle moving cursor or mouse pointer 3) supporting passwords at login.

@fau, @thomass
After unpacking the install bin, I manualy installed the Kindlet, since I wanted to see which files were modified in the file system.

In a SSH session,

1) I Merged tsinghoo.keystore to my /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore
For convenience, I have attached my own keystore developer.keystore.2011-10-02.zip which contains dev keys for all developers of this forum to date (except for vanhoa, the chinese chess developer, which I don't know the keystore password).

2) I updated /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy granting to
"*:80-" the following additional SocketPermissions.
Spoiler:

/*
Kindlet permissions
*/
keystore "kindlet.keystore", "JKS";

// Permissions all Kindlets should have
grant signedBy "Kindlet" {
permission java.net.SocketPermission "*:80-", "accept, connect, listen, resolve";

permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.home", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "runtime_exec", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "kindlet.home", "read";

/* Standard Java properties. This list only covers properties that do not unnecessarily leak
* information. user.dir, user.home and user.name are explicitly not permitted.
* See http://java.sun.com/javame/reference...getProperties()
*/
// Information about the version of Java the application is running on
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.version", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vendor", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.specification.version", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.specification.vendor", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.specification.name", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.version", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.vendor", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.name", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.specification.version", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.specification.vendor", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.specification.name", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.verbose", "read";

// For code that behaves differently under Windows. The version of Linux is already available
// externally due to open source licenses.
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "os.name", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "os.arch", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "os.version", "read";

// File, path and line separators
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "file.separator", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "path.separator", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "line.separator", "read";
};

// Permissions needed by Kindlets that can use the network
grant signedBy "KindletNetworkSupport" {
// Network access by Kindlets must be controlled
permission com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.net.security.Ne tworkAccessPermission "createConnection";
};

// Permissions needed by the Java framework &/or Kindlets that have a UI
grant signedBy "KindletInteractionSupport" {
/* Required by Component#frameBufferSync */
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "awt_fb_enable", "read";

/* E-ink framebuffer specific properties. */
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_fb_flag", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_fb_command", "read";

permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_partial_update_upper_x", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_partial_update_lower_x", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_partial_update_upper_y", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_partial_update_lower_y", "read";

permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_screen_effect", "read";

/* The event queue that Kindlet has access to is in its own AppContext. */
permission java.awt.AWTPermission "accessEventQueue";

/* Properties provided by the PBP. See
* http://java.sun.com/javame/reference...roperties.html
*/
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.AlphaComposite.SRC_OVER_.isRestricte d", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.Graphics2D.setStroke.BasicStroke.isRestr icted", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.event.MouseEvent.isRestricted", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.event.MouseEvent.supportLevel", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.event.KeyEvent.isRestricted", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.event.KeyEvent.supportMask", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.Component.setCursor.isRestricted", "read";
/* The optional permissions for java.awt.Frame are not granted since Frame is not whitelisted. */

};

// Permissions needed by 3rd party libs provided with the SDK
grant codeBase "file:///opt/amazon/ebook/sdk/lib/-" {
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementationSourceList", "read";
};

3) And I copied the KindleVNC.azw2 Kindlet to my documents directory.

Thus backing up your developer.keystore and your java external.policy prior to installing the bin is all you need to manualy uninstall the application later. Keeping the updated keystore and policy will not hurt and you can simply just delete the KindleVNC.azw2 to uninstall.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
For convenience, I have attached my own keystore Attachment 77314 which contains dev keys for all developers of this forum to date (except for vanhoa, the chinese chess developer, which I don't know the keystore password).
Update: I have managed to finaly add vanhoa dev keys here is my updated keystore: developer.keystore.2011-10-03.zip

Thanks to http://conshell.net/wiki/index.php/K...ert_extraction which showed me how to fight keytool and openssl : the trick consisting in extracting the 3 .der certificates from a vanhoa.keystore (having an unknown password) and reimporting them into a new.keystore which I set the password to password which I could finaly merge to the developer.keystore.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
Mario1up
Connoisseur

I found that the ideal resolution for this app is 800x560. The top bar takes up 40 pixels. If you can set custom resolutions on your computer, I suggest doing it for this.

EDIT: Also, a couple feature requests. Could you make Alt be alt on the server and make the page forward/back buttons scroll?

Last edited by Mario1up; 10-03-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
@tsinghoo Thanks. Your VNC client is a great Kindlet implementation. It would be so nice if you could share the java sources.
I particularly liked 1) the virtual keyboard 2) using CTRL to toggle moving cursor or mouse pointer 3) supporting passwords at login.

@fau, @thomass
After unpacking the install bin, I manualy installed the Kindlet, since I wanted to see which files were modified in the file system.

In a SSH session,

1) I Merged tsinghoo.keystore to my /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore
For convenience, I have attached my own keystore Attachment 77314 which contains dev keys for all developers of this forum to date (except for vanhoa, the chinese chess developer, which I don't know the keystore password).

2) I updated /opt/amazon/ebook/security/external.policy granting to
"*:80-" the following additional SocketPermissions.
Spoiler:

/*
Kindlet permissions
*/
keystore "kindlet.keystore", "JKS";

// Permissions all Kindlets should have
grant signedBy "Kindlet" {
permission java.net.SocketPermission "*:80-", "accept, connect, listen, resolve";

permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.home", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "runtime_exec", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "kindlet.home", "read";

/* Standard Java properties. This list only covers properties that do not unnecessarily leak
* information. user.dir, user.home and user.name are explicitly not permitted.
* See http://java.sun.com/javame/reference...getProperties()
*/
// Information about the version of Java the application is running on
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.version", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vendor", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.specification.version", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.specification.vendor", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.specification.name", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.version", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.vendor", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.vm.name", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.specification.version", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.specification.vendor", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.specification.name", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.verbose", "read";

// For code that behaves differently under Windows. The version of Linux is already available
// externally due to open source licenses.
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "os.name", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "os.arch", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "os.version", "read";

// File, path and line separators
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "file.separator", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "path.separator", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "line.separator", "read";
};

// Permissions needed by Kindlets that can use the network
grant signedBy "KindletNetworkSupport" {
// Network access by Kindlets must be controlled
permission com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.net.security.Ne tworkAccessPermission "createConnection";
};

// Permissions needed by the Java framework &/or Kindlets that have a UI
grant signedBy "KindletInteractionSupport" {
/* Required by Component#frameBufferSync */
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "awt_fb_enable", "read";

/* E-ink framebuffer specific properties. */
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_fb_flag", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_fb_command", "read";

permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_partial_update_upper_x", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_partial_update_lower_x", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_partial_update_upper_y", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_partial_update_lower_y", "read";

permission java.util.PropertyPermission "fiona_screen_effect", "read";

/* The event queue that Kindlet has access to is in its own AppContext. */
permission java.awt.AWTPermission "accessEventQueue";

/* Properties provided by the PBP. See
* http://java.sun.com/javame/reference...roperties.html
*/
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.AlphaComposite.SRC_OVER_.isRestricte d", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.Graphics2D.setStroke.BasicStroke.isRestr icted", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.event.MouseEvent.isRestricted", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.event.MouseEvent.supportLevel", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.event.KeyEvent.isRestricted", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.event.KeyEvent.supportMask", "read";
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.awt.Component.setCursor.isRestricted", "read";
/* The optional permissions for java.awt.Frame are not granted since Frame is not whitelisted. */

};

// Permissions needed by 3rd party libs provided with the SDK
grant codeBase "file:///opt/amazon/ebook/sdk/lib/-" {
permission java.util.PropertyPermission "org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementationSourceList", "read";
};

3) And I copied the KindleVNC.azw2 Kindlet to my documents directory.

Thus backing up your developer.keystore and your java external.policy prior to installing the bin is all you need to manualy uninstall the application later. Keeping the updated keystore and policy will not hurt and you can simply just delete the KindleVNC.azw2 to uninstall.
Thanks for the info about uninstall info and keystore file. It is good to have a safe way for uninstall in case we need. I think your keystore file should be included into the hack list thread also.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote