Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
Emailing Downloaded Epub Files To Reviewers

I'd like to email some epub files of my book to reviewers. I have a file I downloaded from Smashwords. I'm wondering: if I email it will someone be able to upload it to their ereader? Should I instead convert my MS Word file with Calibre?

Thanks,

Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Two rules.

1. First find out if they take unsolicited reviews. If not, find someone who will.
2. Find out what format they prefer it in, and then send it in that format.

Bonus Rule: Always find out the rules and submission guidelines of each reviewer. They're different for each reviewer, and if you don't follow the rules, you won't get reviewed.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Most would prefer a reviewer's coupon (one-time use, 100% off) from smashwords, if that is what you are sending (rather than a hand-tuned epub or other format).

That way, it's easy to redownload when you send a note that you changed something (awful formatting, accidental missing text, fixed the cover, or whatever). It's also easy to try a different format (sometimes the grinder there messes up one format, but not another).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
Koland, Steven,
Thanks. Great points!
Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Joseph Mitchell
Enthusiast
Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PC, other
I've seen some say they'd rather not mess with coupons and would prefer you just send them a copy of the book, but like Steven said, each reviewer has their own guidelines. I don't see coupons as being useful for cleaning up errors, because really, you shouldn't send out to reviewers at all unless your editing is solid. That's just begging for trouble and a bad review. I've seen some very popular reviewers state that this is how they view it, and that they refuse to revise a bad review to account for your fixing it later. Try to get it right the first time if at all possible, and accept the consequences when they review what you send them. Good luck!
Joseph Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
One other point to consider, Smashwords will not let someone post a review at their site unless that's where they obtain the book. My review policy is that I post the review on my own site (and Teleread, if my editor there picks it up) and at the site I get it from. So if they simply email me a file instead of providing a coupon code, I can't post the review at Smashwords also.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
egtalbot
Leader of the Conspiracy
egtalbot doesn't litteregtalbot doesn't litter

Device: kindle
One other note - Smashwords policy is to not use the epubs generated by Smashwords for other purposes besides sales through Smashwords or one of its partners. a coupon is of course OK. The idea is that he doesn't want you using his technology and site and then say uploading the epub directly to Nook and cutting him out. I have been meaning to ask Mark Coker if sending the epub to a reviewer is acceptable or not, as I am not sure.
egtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Thanks for a useful recap of everything I have learned the hard way over the last couple of months. And I thought writing was the hard part. LOL
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post

I'd like to email some epub files of my book to reviewers. I have a file I downloaded from Smashwords. I'm wondering: if I email it will someone be able to upload it to their ereader? Should I instead convert my MS Word file with Calibre?

Thanks,

Randy
Good advice all around here, but just to answer your technical question - Yes, if you email a file the recipient will be able to upload it to their ereader device (or app), including Nooks and Kindles.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I've just started reviewing books and my preference is for a Smashwords coupon. Although my reviews are published on my blog, obviously it doesn't reach a wide audience (though I am hoping that will change!) So by "buying" from Smashwords I can post my review there as well.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
horse_girl
Enthusiast
horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook, Motorola Droid
Lots of good advice here but a bit scattered. To summarize:

1. Check reviewer policies. Most post this on their blog.
2. Some reviewers have an online submission form and want a file attached (ie Red Adept). Others prefer a first contact. Still others want a specific file format attached to an email.
3. If you're confused, check #1

And your question was already answered by jrlewis. AFAIK, all ereaders can be plugged into a computer via USB and books can be side-loaded onto the reader that way. (I know Nook and Kindle can and assume all the others allow it too, but I could be wrong.)
horse_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
JJWestendarp
JJWestendarp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
You can also email files to your Kindle. First, go into your Amazon account and "Manage Your Kindle." Somewhere in there is a spot where you can set the maximum amount you'll allow to be charged per book sent. Set that to zero. Second, if your kindle email is, for example, samdeathwalker@kindle.com, stop using that one. Use samdeathwalker@free.kindle.com instead. Now it will never, ever go over 3G, only wi-fi. Then you can email stuff to your Kindle and it'll download it the next time you connect to your wifi.
JJWestendarp is offline   Reply With Quote