Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Lightbulb Request addition to reader matrix.

Hello:

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong place, I cannot find anywhere appropriate to post this message.
I was wondering who maintains the eReader matrix and would like to suggest an addition.
I think it would be useful to add another row which indicates which readers (if any) successfully display text in BOLD and ITALIC, as (as far as I can see) quite a few of the readers / formats, remove formatting and show only plain text.
This is quite an important feature for me as a lot of authors are now using text formatting to stress points in the story, and the removal of formatting can very often, drastically change the way the story reads.
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, Icarusbop, the wiki is group maintained. If you'd like to add such a row, knock yourself out, it sounds like a good addition to me.

I'd probably have put this post in the Dedicated Readers forum, but I can move it there for you easily enough.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I don't really see a point for this column. As far as I know, all current readers display formatting if the file format supports it. For example, the Reader displays it in LRF, PDF and RTF, but TXT files don't support any formatting.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the book is from PG as a text file, most of the time there are no attributes. That's why if there is an HTML from PG, I will use that as the attributes are there if they are supposed to be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #5
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

NatCh - I know theoretically I can do it; I hit the Edit button on the matrix page - took one look at the result and bailed out. I don't really know that much about this stuff and didn't want to break anything...
Old 06-26-2007, 04:43 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I don't really see a point for this column. As far as I know, all current readers display formatting if the file format supports it. For example, the Reader displays it in LRF, PDF and RTF, but TXT files don't support any formatting.
Agree. I don't see any point in adding this column as well. Displaying bold and italic has nothing to do with ebook reader hardware. It solely depends on a file you upload to your ebook reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
Icarusbop
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Agree. I don't see any point in adding this column as well. Displaying bold and italic has nothing to do with ebook reader hardware. It solely depends on a file you upload to your ebook reader.
Not strictly true - even though formatting is nothing to do with hardware, it has everyting to do with software. For example, my favourite current reader was the Hanlin, until I discovered that their proprietary WOL file, removes text formatting during conversion (not sure about the new V2 however). The same goes for the Star eBook (as far as I can tell).
Old 06-26-2007, 04:55 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusbop View Post
Not strictly true - even though formatting is nothing to do with hardware, it has everyting to do with software. For example, my favourite current reader was the Hanlin, until I discovered that their proprietary WOL file, removes text formatting during conversion (not sure about the new V2 however). The same goes for the Star eBook (as far as I can tell).
Do you mean that your reader might show only WOL format and when you are converting other formats into WOL it strips all the nicities and your reader is incapable of displaying anything beyond simple text?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
Icarusbop
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Do you mean that your reader might show only WOL format and when you are converting other formats into WOL it strips all the nicities and your reader is incapable of displaying anything beyond simple text?
I dont actually have one (it was top of my list of the readers to get) but as far as I'm aware yes - the WOL formatter pulls all the formatting off the text. I think it displays pictures though (JPEG).
I discovered this by trying their WOL file creator and testing it with the PC emulator - resulting books only had simple text, no matter the formatting of the original source) - of course, this may be inaccurate, the actual device may be different and / or the firmware may have been changed recently. Hence my request to simplyfy things by adding the extra rows on the matrix.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:08 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I dont actually have one (it was top of my list of the readers to get) but as far as I'm aware yes - the WOL formatter pulls all the formatting off the text. I think it displays pictures though (JPEG).
I discovered this by trying their WOL file creator and testing it with the PC emulator - resulting books only had simple text, no matter the formatting of the original source) - of course, this may be inaccurate, the actual device may be different and / or the firmware may have been changed recently. Hence my request to simplyfy things by adding the extra rows on the matrix.

Well. I have only sony reader so I cannot really argue. However, I have a strong feeling that any reader either supports more than just one proprietary format, such as RTF,HTML,CHM etc., and is capable of displaying the right formatting or its proprietary format is capable of displaying the text correctly. (I think), no one would buy a reader that is incapable of displaying anything beyong simple text.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
I'm sure someone will write a better converter once the device becomes more popular.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm sure someone will write a better converter once the device becomes more popular.
But how can the reader become more popular with the software being so poor? You can't get a good feel for how the device really can perform if the source you give it is no better off then a well formatted text file? if WOL is really that bad, then it's going to fail for sure.

To be honest, I think Sony may very well be the last ones to get away with a new format.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But how can the reader become more popular with the software being so poor? You can't get a good feel for how the device really can perform if the source you give it is no better off then a well formatted text file? if WOL is really that bad, then it's going to fail for sure.

To be honest, I think Sony may very well be the last ones to get away with a new format.
Someone with a lot of market clout could. The only player I see on the sidelines at the moment that looks poised to move into the ebook reader market is Amazon and they already own Mobipocket. Mobi is well established so I expect they will stay with that one and not introduce something new.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Someone with a lot of market clout could. The only player I see on the sidelines at the moment that looks poised to move into the ebook reader market is Amazon and they already own Mobipocket. Mobi is well established so I expect they will stay with that one and not introduce something new.
Amazon dumped all the other formats they used to sell. So I would have to agree that when Amazon does come out with a reader, it will be supporting Mobi.

But book formats are important. For example, the Cybook is going to make it or not based on what it's able to read. Hanlan is going to fail miserably from what I have been reading and it support WOL which if they conversion to WOL software is any indication, not good.

I don't see any company with enough clout coming out with a reader. So all the readers that are coming out will have to pick and existing format. And to be 100% honest, the best format is Mobi or eReader to try to grab some of the Palm reading public. Heck, I know someone on another forum that reads ebooks on a PDA. If the Sony read the book she already has, then I could have sold one to her (so to speak). But for her needs, the iLiad is way way too expensive.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But how can the reader become more popular with the software being so poor?
Hanlin has all of china to play with.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote