Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
gregorias
gregorias began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook pro 902
Letters fade with use making text unreadable after 2 minutes.

Hello,

I have bought (online purchase) Pocketbook pro 902 and got it today.
I noticed that after moving some pages, letters get less clear each time I turn a page. It seems like if pixels get whiter and whiter (usually in stripes, but it doesn't seem regular and it doesn't happen uniformly) causing smaller letters to become invisible or unreadable. It happens with epub, pdf and the effect is visible in the menu (for example the top bars change from simple, clear colored rectangle to sort of faded rectangle with gradient from previous color to white).
After letting the device rest for some minutes I can see clear menu and letters again, but after some page turning the effect comes back.

I had begun with firmware 2.1.3 and after noticing the problem I downgraded to 2.0.6 with no result.

This makes the device painful to use and I'm thinking of returning it (I'm definitely doing that if it's not fixed). I haven't noticed anyone complaining about this on this forum, do you have any idea how to fix this or at least what is causing that effect?

I'm attaching some pictures to illustrate the problem (quality isn't the best, but the problem is visible)

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-26_17-23-43_515.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	85723   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-26_16-24-32_819.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	85724   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-26_16-10-02_515.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	85725   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-26_16-23-26_492.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	85726   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-26_16-36-32_159.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	85727  

Last edited by gregorias; 04-26-2012 at 12:44 PM.
gregorias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Looks like a bad screen, happens sometimes, no help except a new one
Get a replacement, don't forget to reflash 2.1.3 before you send it back
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorias View Post
I haven't noticed anyone complaining about this on this forum, do you have any idea how to fix this or at least what is causing that effect?
There have been a few complaints in the German part of this forum. You can't fix it yourself, but as Troll said, send it back. You will get a replacement, this failure is covered by warranty.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
If you are in US/Canada - call 877-326-0196 to PocketBook Customer Center - they will tell you what to do and where to send the device.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
MiloszK
MiloszK began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 902
Have the same problem as Gregorias. It's just started today and I've been using PB 902 since December last year.

I just wonder if PB replace the unit itself or replace the screen.

In the Polish guarentee they say that it doesn't cover normal tear and wear of a screen. What do you make of it?

Hope that the whole process isn't too lengthy - I've got used to reading on PB.
MiloszK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloszK View Post
In the Polish guarentee they say that it doesn't cover normal tear and wear of a screen. What do you make of it?

I don't think that this is normal tear and wear. They garantee that the reader is working for two years and this includes a functioning screen that has not been damaged by the reader (like a broken screen). Judging from some posts by Forkosigan in the German forum, until now Pocketbook has replaced the devices without problems.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
It happens to me but not as severe as your case. After open some pdf, or use the news feed app, reading some news, i notice the fonts gets lighter, bottom on the screen on the main menu becomes whiter. I will check about this for warranty.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Correction: it is as severe as your case. I will contact them to claim warranty
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
It happens to me but not as severe as your case. After open some pdf, or use the news feed app, reading some news, i notice the fonts gets lighter, bottom on the screen on the main menu becomes whiter. I will check about this for warranty.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Reading a lot about this issue for the last moth this seems to be a firmware issue with the last versions. have you guys tried to go back to a version some month older like 2.0.6 that is confirmed to be working without problems and maybe do a factory reset before and after the downgrade?
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
v-man
v-man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 + PocketBook 912
I had a similar "fading letter" problem and it was definitely triggered by heat (i.e. in sunlight or near to a light bulb). I got a replacement unit for free, and this now works in the sun as well. There are indeed quite a few people on the German forum with the same issue. One thread (with a good picture) is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168495
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote